Using a VPN with the ship's wifi

Wineaux007

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I've been using YouTube TV on ships for about 4-5 years.   I agree with you I normally try for a Server in SF Bay area but on occasions Google identifies the server as  VPN server and blocks it,  and I have to choose a different location until Nord updates their server ip's.  In those cases I can still watch my recorded shows but unable to steam my local stations. 

I haven't tried my workaround yet on a ship but I will in April.  I use a gps spoofer vs a VPN.

5 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

I haven't tried my workaround yet on a ship but I will in April.  I use a gps spoofer vs a VPN.

Curious --- which spoofer are you using?    I've been having a recent problem at home internet IP has recently has been identified my location as Memphis vs San Francisco.  My ISP told me that I could spoof my Mac address and get a new ip but I use Google Nest and that option isn't availble.     It is really weird some apps find my location while others think i'm in Memphis.  I had to re-identify my location on YouTubeTV using my phone.     Never had this problem before.

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Curious --- which spoofer are you using?    I've been having a recent problem at home internet IP has recently has been identified my location as Memphis vs San Francisco.  My ISP told me that I could spoof my Mac address and get a new ip but I use Google Nest and that option isn't availble.     It is really weird some apps find my location while others think i'm in Memphis.  I had to re-identify my location on YouTubeTV using my phone.     Never had this problem before.

An app called fakegps on my phone.  YouTube tv then asks for my location on my Chromebook using my mobile device  Mobile device has the spoofed location set up..

14 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

An app called fakegps on my phone.  YouTube tv then asks for my location on my Chromebook using my mobile device  Mobile device has the spoofed location set up..

Ahh... I was thinking it was an app on Firestick or possibly an iPhone.  I guess it is only available on Android.  

I don't use my phone for watching YouTubeTV and even if was available on Apple - apple doesn't allow sharing WiFi over Hotspot. 

• Like 1

Just back from Caribbean.  No issues with travel router, Amazon fire stick and Express VPN.  Fire Stick connects directly to the travel router (no 'hot spot' needed).  Streamed Olympics and connected to home Plex.

Was able to plug into hdmi 3 and use the source button on the TV.  

2 hours ago, odyssyus said:

Just back from Caribbean.  No issues with travel router, Amazon fire stick and Express VPN.  Fire Stick connects directly to the travel router (no 'hot spot' needed).  Streamed Olympics and connected to home Plex.

Was able to plug into hdmi 3 and use the source button on the TV.  

I picked up a little Ptp-link AC750 for travel.  What did you use?

You say you used the "Source" button on the TV.  TVs on some X ships don't have a "Source" button ('Hotel' models).  Which ship were you on?

Posted (edited)

@candersonI have both the GLI.Net Slate and Mango.  I just got off the Reflection.

The Mango is great if you want to buy 1 wifi package and bring it with you to share wifi love for your whole party anywhere on the boat.  You can power it with a pocket battery and create a mobile hotspot.

Edited by odyssyus

2 hours ago, odyssyus said:

The Mango is great if you want to buy 1 wifi package and bring it with you to share wifi love for your whole party anywhere on the boat.

Did you experience any issues with latency when multiple family members were connected to the Mango?