Using a VPN with the ship's wifi

Wineaux007

We ditched our cable company and just use wifi for our TV programming (fubo and/or youtube tv), but you can't access it when traveling out of the U.S./Canada.  I did an internet search and understand you can use a VPN connected to one of the servers in the U.S. to connect to our favorite streaming service if you are overseas.  

I seem to recall you had to turn off your VPN in order to connect to the ship's wifi.  Can you connect then turn your VPN back on, or will your streaming service recognize the ship's server.

I also was able to use a VPN on board (also Nord).  There were some things that I could not access while the VPN was active, most notably my account information, personal ship calendar, and some other personal information via the Celebrity app.  Of course, it's easy enough to switch the VPN off if you need to get to any of that.

• Like 1

Please excuse my ignorance. I am interested in getting a VPN myself. My question is what benefit do you get with using a VPN on the cruise? I understand you will use the ship's wifi to get on and then switch to the VPN. Why? Again, sorry for the stupid question. Thanks!

Yes you can use VPN on the ship but make sure you install prior to the cruise.   My experience over the last couple years has been that the block the word VPN from their dns.   

As for using VPN on the ship for geo location spoofing.  Ease of use and success will be dependent on what device you will be using it on.    If using it on a Tablet or Laptop pretty much works our of the box.  Dependent on where your cruise is you may or may not need.    All cruises that I've been on keep the MIA sattelite connection until about the Azores on a TA.    If connected to a US Sattelite Internet Server you would not need for geo location.

If using a device like Roku it is a little more difficult as you have to create a hotspot using a device (laptop or router)  in-between the Ships Wifi and your device. 

For those asking why?    Main use of a VPN is to provide an added layer of security to prevent hackers from getting password and account information when you broadcast over an open WiFi.  Personally as a security tester  (hacker) from the beginning of WiFi while on the ship I wouldn't think you would have many out hacking.      The other use is Geo Location Shifting.     If for example you are in the U.K. and want to access a site that limit access to only U.S. users you just select a VPN server in the U.S. from a list of server and most sites you connect to think you are in the U.S.

• Like 1

There are some financial and bank sites that block overseas wifi. A VPN allows you access as if you were in the US and is very secure. It will also let you get to most streaming services that the ship wifi may not allow you to view.

I have Fubo-Tv and have successfully used it on several Caribbean sailings with no issue without VPN.  It's probably because what Jim has reported that they stay connected to a US satellite.

I had stream wifi package and only had trouble after about 11 pm.   It appeared they reduced bandwidth at some point at night as buffering became unusable.

Edited by wrk2cruise

23 minutes ago, Bru92 said:

When recently on the Apex in the British Isles, I showed up to the internet as being in Miami Florida so the whole VPN thing might be moot.

Mike in Ohio

Not as to security, only as to Geo Location

1 hour ago, Bru92 said:

When recently on the Apex in the British Isles, I showed up to the internet as being in Miami Florida so the whole VPN thing might be moot.

Mike in Ohio

Maybe that will work for the Bermuda cruise next month, but I’m more concerned about Europe and the transatlantic we have coming this fall.  I want to be able to access some programs we have recorded.

If I might ask, does a VPN increase bandwidth speeds onboard if you are using the Basic internet service rather than the Premium service? On the 4 Caribbean cruises we've been on so far, the Basic internet service speeds have averaged around .75 mbps whereas with the Premium package averaged somewhere between 2 - 2.75 mbps.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

2 hours ago, Bru92 said:

Mike in Ohio

It can be funny that way.   On our Cruise we initially were on Miami then Shifted to UK and then later we were shifted back to Miami while on the second cruise to Portugal/Spain and France.  

I also found it VPN helpful in Argentina.   I use Google News as my home page and due to a dispute Argentina blocks Google.   With the VPN I could pretend I was in the U.S.  and read the news.   Not sure if this was ever resolved.

Edited by Jim_Iain

59 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I might ask, does a VPN increase bandwidth speeds onboard if you are using the Basic internet service rather than the Premium service? On the 4 Caribbean cruises we've been on so far, the Basic internet service speeds have averaged around .75 mbps whereas with the Premium package averaged somewhere between 2 - 2.75 mbps.

Only if you're dealing with a situation where your speed is being throttled for a particular service (such as Netflix or something like that). Since your "basic v. premium" speed is determined by your login, you're not going to be able to get premium speed for the basic price. 

14 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

Only if you're dealing with a situation where your speed is being throttled for a particular service (such as Netflix or something like that). Since your "basic v. premium" speed is determined by your login, you're not going to be able to get premium speed for the basic price. 

I had a feeling that was the answer, but thought I’d ask. Thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I generally travel with my iPad and not my laptop.  For those of you using Nord -- anyone have experience with it on an iPad?  If so -- good?  bad?  Any tips/advice?

Thanks so much!

It's pretty much the same as using it on my laptop or phone. If you've never used it before, you'll find it very easy to set up and use. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful and concise responses! Would you recommend Nord for a VPN? If so, about how much is it? I saw the different plans and am wondering if there is something I should know about how to choose. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, pisces223 said:

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful and concise responses! Would you recommend Nord for a VPN? If so, about how much is it? I saw the different plans and am wondering if there is something I should know about how to choose. Thanks!

For most people, the 'Standard' plan for 2 years is the best value.  The password manager and cloud storage can be had in other ways.  Data breech doesn't seem to do much.

• Thanks 1

I started with NORD, but I can't remember what, but it wouldn't let me do some "things" -- can't recall what as it was a few years back.  I've been with ExpressVPN and very happy with it. 

Norton anti-virus offers free VPN with its service, but I still use Express.  

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I'll have to remember my settings on my next cruise.

16 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I generally travel with my iPad and not my laptop.  For those of you using Nord -- anyone have experience with it on an iPad?  If so -- good?  bad?  Any tips/advice?

Thanks so much!

Nord has an app. Turn it on and off, pick the server from the app. Pretty simple.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, canderson said:

For most people, the 'Standard' plan for 2 years is the best value.  The password manager and cloud storage can be had in other ways.  Data breech doesn't seem to do much.

There are discount codes available. I got the 2 year at a discounted rate. I can't recall now where I got the code though as it was a while ago. Check around. Also they push add ons by default and I had to delete the add ons as I did not need those. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Simple answer is NO.     You connect via the package you purchased and if anything the VPN may actually be slower.    The VPN  input is the same .75 mbps and output could be that or below but never higher.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use both Express VPN and Nord VPN.    I use Nord most of the time because I have a 2 year plan but was using Express VPN quite a bit when Windows 11 first came out.   Initially Nord wasn't compatible but have fixed that.

Not that it matters much I find Express Connects much faster to connect but has fewer servers.    Also often with Express, Google flags it as a VPN because so many people using the same server ip address   and toss in a verification page.   Just a nuisance and then I try a different server