Viking Bourbon offerings

Rev.Crum

Would be curious to know from any past Viking Ocean sailings what different Bourbon's they offer. I plan on picking up a bottle in duty free to bring on board, but thought I would check to see what they have on the ship. I have seen Knob Creek and Makers Mark in some of their promo photos but didn't know if they had others. Tried to find a "drink menu" but never found one. 

Thanks much and happy sailing!

5 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

If you strongly prefer Woodford Reserve, give the Explorer’s lounge bartender a generous tip and they MAY be able to put a bottle under the counter for you.

Yes folks, they DO work for tips…😉😎🥃

The atrium bar put a couple of bottles of my favourite wine to one side for me. No tip required. I just spoke to him in a polite friendly way and asked. It's not necessary to bribe anyone to provide decent service. They are going to anyway

5 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

If you can’t find a drink you like from these choices you can always order a Cosmo.😱🥃🥃🥃

Where do you stand on the bourbon v cottage cream debate? 😁 Accepting that both are a poor substitute for a chocolate hobnob. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Where do you stand on the bourbon v cottage cream debate? 😁 Accepting that both are a poor substitute for a chocolate hobnob. 

I prefer clotted cream to cottage cream but there’s no accounting for taste.🥃🥃🥃

2 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

If you strongly prefer Woodford Reserve, give the Explorer’s lounge bartender a generous tip and they MAY be able to put a bottle under the counter for you.

Yes folks, they DO work for tips…😉😎🥃

In my experience, bribing the crew before the end of the cruise is not required. I have had personal bottles and cans of beer at many of the bars that don't normally stock my preferred tipple. I have also requested and had beers and full bottles delivered to the cabin (DV).

I never tip until the end of the cruise, recognising those that went above and beyond.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

In my experience, bribing the crew before the end of the cruise is not required. I have had personal bottles and cans of beer at many of the bars that don't normally stock my preferred tipple. I have also requested and had beers and full bottles delivered to the cabin (DV).

I never tip until the end of the cruise, recognising those that went above and beyond.

Funny, you call tipping early on in the cruise “bribing”,

but tipping later in the cruise is acceptable.

I prefer to show my appreciation throughout the cruise.

11 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Funny, you call tipping early on in the cruise “bribing”,

but tipping later in the cruise is acceptable.

I prefer to show my appreciation throughout the cruise.

You posted that by providing a generous tip to the barman, they MAY be able to place a bottle behind the bar.

I consider a tip as providing recognition of a service that is already provided and is above and beyond. When money is provided in the hope you will achieve the desired service, that is a bribe.

As I mentioned, in my experience, the Viking barmen do not require money in advance to save personal bottles behind the bar.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

You posted that by providing a generous tip to the barman, they MAY be able to place a bottle behind the bar.

I consider a tip as providing recognition of a service that is already provided and is above and beyond. When money is provided in the hope you will achieve the desired service, that is a bribe.

As I mentioned, in my experience, the Viking barmen do not require money in advance to save personal bottles behind the bar.

It’s not a personal bottle I’m talking about.

It’s a bottle of Woodford Reserve from Torshavn, the only place on the ship where it’s available, so the bartender is providing me a special service, for which I tip them.

If they cannot secure it, I don’t ask for the tip back.

I should have learned by now not to post any tipping comments - we’re all different, thank goodness.

Now, about those black dressy jeans in the Restaurant at night… 😉😎

4 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

It’s not a personal bottle I’m talking about.

It’s a bottle of Woodford Reserve from Torshavn, the only place on the ship where it’s available, so the bartender is providing me a special service, for which I tip them.

If they cannot secure it, I don’t ask for the tip back.

I should have learned by now not to post any tipping comments - we’re all different, thank goodness.

Now, about those black dressy jeans in the Restaurant at night… 😉😎

They fetch bottles from other bars on the ship on request. The wine they got for me was from the restaurant

8 hours ago, KBs mum said:

They fetch bottles from other bars on the ship on request. The wine they got for me was from the restaurant

That is our experience as well. When we ask for a beverage that isn't stocked in that bar, they dispatch a crew member to procure a bottle.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 10:51 AM, SLCSkier said:

Here is a Torshavn menu, bourbons on page 5

TorshavnMenu.pdf 2.46 MB · 49 downloads

Would like to see your PDF, but I get a danger warning, (on phone), so I didn't open it. Would you be able to possibly post it another way?  Have not been able to find it on V site, or MVJ.  Thanks.

A Bourbon drinker

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

31 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Would like to see your PDF, but I get a danger warning, (on phone), so I didn't open it. Would you be able to possibly post it another way?  Have not been able to find it on V site, or MVJ.  Thanks.

A Bourbon drinker

I opened it with precautions - it's as advertised - the pdf of the Torshavn Menu - no virus/malware. 🍺🥌

12 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

A Bourbon drinker

8C107EA4-FC91-4F42-BE52-1E08B8F59175.jpeg

3 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

8C107EA4-FC91-4F42-BE52-1E08B8F59175.jpeg

WN,. Thanks so much.  1st 3 Bourbons are very fine.  Never tried last 3, but would not be on SS pkg. Will be very satisfied with anything on SS Pkg.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info