Polo grill - Kobe beef

thepla

22 hours ago, kibutzer said:

Not all of the above options are available in Vista Polo. Have tweaked the menus in each speciality restaurant, not sure if the same changes will be made during refurb of Marina?

Vista is now serving Galatian Beef and there is no prime rib on the menu.

On 10/27/2023 at 12:11 PM, Fam_Cruise said:

It's undoubtedly American Wagyu which is usually cross breed of Angus and Wagyu, unless it is stated as fullblood Wagyu.  You can buy American Wagyu ground beef at some Costcos for $17.99 for a 3 lb package. American Wagyu steaks for $40-90/lb depending on the cut from crowdcow.com - less when on sale.

Kobe beef retails in the US for $20-35/oz depending on the cut and is from Hyōgo Prefecture. Only place I know where to purchase some is from crowdcow.com, but you must pay to be on their purchase list.  When they are expecting a shipment they send out invitations for a spot.

Japanese A5 Wagyu sells for around $10-15/oz depending on the cut and where you buy it; at some Costcos or crowdcow.com 

FWIW, I've never purchased Kobe beef and rarely purcahse Japanese Wagyu; however, regularly purchase American Wagyu.

It’s totally ludicrous to even call something “American Wagyu,” regardless of the genetic make-up of the cow.  It’s either Wagyu or not Wagyu.  It’s a shame that the marketers latched onto this false Wagyu and Kobe Beef craze before the people in Japan had established a way (legal protection, like Champagne has) to prevent the abuse of these terms.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Psoque said:

It’s totally ludicrous to even call something “American Wagyu,” regardless of the genetic make-up of the cow.  It’s either Wagyu or not Wagyu.  It’s a shame that the marketers latched onto this false Wagyu and Kobe Beef craze before the people in Japan had established a way (legal protection, like Champagne has) to prevent the abuse of these terms.

In this particular case, shouldn’t the word marketers above be replaced by the words “cruise line “ or Oceania?

For those of us still trying to figure out a picatta Marsala dish means, ( it’s neither) exaggeration and miss representation of terms is nothing new. 

• Like 2

On 10/28/2023 at 4:33 AM, LouChamp said:

Aloha. I was blessed to have one of the first servings of Kobe Beef in the United States in the 1990s at The Old Homestead in Manhattan.  There was a period of time where importation was prohibited and then it came back. Back then it was over $100 for a small portion so previous posts are correct as something seems off with the description and product although they may be careful with their choice of words and description but I doubt if it is the same as I am discussing.  There is a major difference between real Kobe and Wagyu. Either way eat and enjoy! I am now hungry.

Recentky on Explora Journeys Sakura restaurant served a magnificent wagu beef and we were told it was wagu beef from Japan. It was truly extraordinary great

• Thanks 2

On 10/28/2023 at 9:09 AM, cruisingxpert said:

Vista is now serving Galatian Beef and there is no prime rib on the menu.

Prime rib is now available in the GDR on several different nights and even had it in Terrace one night....also had to go to Ember for my crab cake....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pinotlover said:

In this particular case, shouldn’t the word marketers above be replaced by the words “cruise line “ or Oceania?

For those of us still trying to figure out a picatta Marsala dish means, ( it’s neither) exaggeration and miss representation of terms is nothing new. 

I used the word “marketers” because Oceania is neither the only entity or the one that started the whole mess with marketing of something that is entirely different from Wagyu or Kobe Beef as genuine items.  I don’t really care what Oceania calls their subpar ground beef that comes from cows supposedly related to those from Japan.  I am more dismayed that, the term Wagyu or Kobe Beef has very little meaning outside of Japan.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1