Polo grill - Kobe beef

thepla

1 hour ago, thepla said:

Is Kobe beef at polo grill more of a hamburger or steak?

Is it worth to choose for main course?

It's a little confusing, but it all goes with this. You get one each and they are sliders, or little sandwiches. It's basically a baby hamburger. Having said that I've never ordered that entree. I generally go for the filet. 

Trilogy of Sliders with Allumettes Parmesan Fries

*Kobe Beef with Truffle Demi-Glace

*Lobster Remoulade

*Crab Cake Tartar 

29 minutes ago, ORV said:

It's a little confusing, but it all goes with this. You get one each and they are sliders, or little sandwiches. It's basically a baby hamburger. Having said that I've never ordered that entree. I generally go for the filet. 

*Lobster Remoulade

*Crab Cake Tartar 

Thanks. I'd agree seems like better options. I think in waves there would be something similar..

Or you can go for the Wagyu Tomahawk Steak that is definitely large enough to be shared. But of course there is the huge Porterhouse or maybe the 32oz Prime Rib.  Oh, decisions, decisions. 

You can handle it 

Mauibabes

• Haha 1

It was in May on Marina but if I am wrong others who may be on board now will let us know. 
I am sure you can find a Polo Menu on the board to get a complete rundown. Great whole Lobster , Lobser Newburg and surf and turf and rib eyes.  You will need many dinners in Polo to work through the menu. 
Enjoy, Mauibabes

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mauibabes said:

It was in May on Marina but if I am wrong others who may be on board now will let us know. 
I am sure you can find a Polo Menu on the board to get a complete rundown. Great whole Lobster , Lobser Newburg and surf and turf and rib eyes.  You will need many dinners in Polo to work through the menu. 
Enjoy, Mauibabes

Wow...... thats a pretty spendy chunk of beef...  like $90    from Snake River Ranch    ( the premier meat source....used by Thomas Keller/ Per Se and French Laundry, and old Wolfgang       Classy        

I could be wrong on the Kobe part but ai did see the Tomahawk steak. The size of the steak stuck in my mind but and it was SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the 4 ounces my cardiologist wants me consuming. He sure knows how to throw a monkey wrench at the Finest  Cuisine at Sea. 
Take care and sail on,

Mauibabes

2 hours ago, mauibabes said:

I could be wrong on the Kobe part but ai did see the Tomahawk steak. The size of the steak stuck in my mind but and it was SIGNIFICANTLY larger than the 4 ounces my cardiologist wants me consuming. He sure knows how to throw a monkey wrench at the Finest  Cuisine at Sea. 
Take care and sail on,

Mauibabes

Isn't the Tomahawk for 2? I will concede that you've been on many more cruises since they've started back, but I've also never seen a Tomahawk on the menu in Polo. Definitely new if they have it. Have to say it looked great when I was at Smith & Wollensky in Vegas, but I had the filet, it was great. 

On 6/29/2022 at 8:42 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Wow...... thats a pretty spendy chunk of beef...  like $90    from Snake River Ranch    ( the premier meat source....used by Thomas Keller/ Per Se and French Laundry, and old Wolfgang       Classy        

I hate picky people but I'm going to be one out of local pride. For the longest time I thought Snake River FARMS, SRF (not RANCH despite cattle...that's in Wyoming near the Tetons) was just another local beef source at the farmers' market and the co-op...didn't realize they were world class. Lucky me 😁

I was wrong on the Kobe Beef Tomahawk steak. I saw the Polo menus from our recent cruise and it was NOT included in the steak selections, my mistake or should I say mis steak 🤪 

Sorry for spreading misinformation, we will have to settle for the Dry Aged USDA Prime Filet Mignon, 32oz Porterhouse, Rib Eye, 16 and 32 oz Prime Rib, etc.  Whatever your selection however, I am sure your Cardiologist will not approve but then that is why we left him/her home. 👍🤬🍷
Ciao, Mauibabes

• Haha 3

You had my hopes up.

An 8oz Kobe beef A5 Steak runs about $300+ for just the meat. In a restaurant you are looking at $500+.   Also only about a dozen restaurants in the U.S. serve 100% REAL Kobe beef.

Most restaurants serve Waygu, of which, most of the cows are inbred with pure KOBE cows. Still good meat, but that's how you get the cheap Waygu sliders. LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here is a picture of the Kobe Beef, Lobster Remoulade and Crab Cake Sliders from Polo Grill.   Photo taken on Nautica in April, 2017.   I am a big fan of Sliders, they were good, but very rich.

Joe

Sliders.jpg

Edited by JoePDX
  • Like 2

While it is true that wagyu and Kobe are not interchangeable, there are types of wagyu that are as good (if not better) than Kobe. Kobe is just the most well-known type of wagyu. I had an A5 ribeye from the Miyazaki Prefecture of Japan a few months ago, and it was spectacular. As in brought tears to my eyes spectacular. (The Miyazaki Wagyu has won first place in Japan's leading Wagyu competition for 15 straight years.) Basically, if a restaurant won't/can't show you the certificate of authenticity from Japan, it's not Kobe or any of the other true Japanese Wagyu cuts. I'm about 99.999999999% sure Polo Grill is not serving Kobe anything.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 5:20 PM, AMHuntFerry said:

I hate picky people but I'm going to be one out of local pride. For the longest time I thought Snake River FARMS, SRF (not RANCH despite cattle...that's in Wyoming near the Tetons) was just another local beef source at the farmers' market and the co-op...didn't realize they were world class. Lucky me 😁

you are........its the source of choice for many of the top chefs in america....Michelin **  and *** people who make it their quest to obtain the very finest product of any type to present  to their patrons.    I just returned from France and Switzerland and did a tour de- food...     I was suprised that the much touted Scottish  and French  beef is vastly lower in quality.... (   There they do excell in Chicken , Duck and Veal.)     Of note  the french flours and butters are the world class.    I discovered in the Savoyard  area Chamonix...... that the french turn out an exceptional sourdough wheat bread ...... screw the crossants mon amis.! 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 12:05 PM, JoePDX said:

Here is a picture of the Kobe Beef, Lobster Remoulade and Crab Cake Sliders from Polo Grill.   Photo taken on Nautica in April, 2017.   I am a big fan of Sliders, they were good, but very rich.

Joe

Sliders.jpg

Just off Oceania. I asked for slider Kobe alone as an appetizer. Mine looked nothing like anything above. Have half to my son. To us just a small hamburger with no real taste. Everything else was great surf and turf at waves was a huge hit for my son.

• 1 year later...
On 6/28/2022 at 4:53 PM, ORV said:

*Lobster Remoulade

*Crab Cake Tartar 

I wonder what kind of “Kobe Beef” they are getting if they can only serve it as ground beef.  

On 7/12/2022 at 12:37 PM, thepla said:

Just off Oceania. I asked for slider Kobe alone as an appetizer. Mine looked nothing like anything above. Have half to my son. To us just a small hamburger with no real taste. Everything else was great surf and turf at waves was a huge hit for my son.

They are giving a totally wrong impression of what Kobe Beef is all about!!!

• Like 1

It's undoubtedly American Wagyu which is usually cross breed of Angus and Wagyu, unless it is stated as fullblood Wagyu.  You can buy American Wagyu ground beef at some Costcos for $17.99 for a 3 lb package. American Wagyu steaks for $40-90/lb depending on the cut from crowdcow.com - less when on sale.

Kobe beef retails in the US for $20-35/oz depending on the cut and is from Hyōgo Prefecture. Only place I know where to purchase some is from crowdcow.com, but you must pay to be on their purchase list.  When they are expecting a shipment they send out invitations for a spot.

Japanese A5 Wagyu sells for around $10-15/oz depending on the cut and where you buy it; at some Costcos or crowdcow.com 

FWIW, I've never purchased Kobe beef and rarely purcahse Japanese Wagyu; however, regularly purchase American Wagyu.

Edited by Fam_Cruise
  • Like 1

On 6/28/2022 at 4:38 PM, mauibabes said:

Or you can go for the Wagyu Tomahawk Steak that is definitely large enough to be shared. But of course there is the huge Porterhouse or maybe the 32oz Prime Rib.  Oh, decisions, decisions. 

You can handle it 

Mauibabes

Not all of the above options are available in Vista Polo. Have tweaked the menus in each speciality restaurant, not sure if the same changes will be made during refurb of Marina?

3 hours ago, shepherd really said:

The same kind you buy for $5.99 per pound at Sam's Club.  It's not bad but it is not a true Kobe beef experience.  

That's just insulting to the actual people who raise real Kobe Beef in Japan.

19 hours ago, Psoque said:

They are giving a totally wrong impression of what Kobe Beef is all about!!!

Aloha. I was blessed to have one of the first servings of Kobe Beef in the United States in the 1990s at The Old Homestead in Manhattan.  There was a period of time where importation was prohibited and then it came back. Back then it was over $100 for a small portion so previous posts are correct as something seems off with the description and product although they may be careful with their choice of words and description but I doubt if it is the same as I am discussing.  There is a major difference between real Kobe and Wagyu. Either way eat and enjoy! I am now hungry.