Exchange rate onboard

Adventures ahead

I don't know about others, but I can't compute the exchange rate based on that information. Give us the full USD and CAD prices and then it's easy to determine. Or do it yourself:

USD to CAD Exchange Rate = CAD Price / USD Price

I'm used to the exchange rate for onboard charges being set far in advance for each cruise. The rate was identifiable by what you were charged for the cruise... ending in .75 or whatever.  I don't recall the set rates so was asking to be reminded. I only know the Canadian price I paid.

I've now asked and answered my own question. Looked at what it would cost to buy $100 US OBC. $125 Cdn. So, anything bought on our cruise should be charged at an exchange rate of $1.25Cdn/$1US. Now I'll know what I'm actually paying in Cdn$ for anything purchased onboard. Thx for replying.

26 minutes ago, Adventures ahead said:

I'm used to the exchange rate for onboard charges being set far in advance for each cruise. The rate was identifiable by what you were charged for the cruise... ending in .75 or whatever.  I don't recall the set rates so was asking to be reminded. I only know the Canadian price I paid.

I've now asked and answered my own question. Looked at what it would cost to buy $100 US OBC. $125 Cdn. So, anything bought on our cruise should be charged at an exchange rate of $1.25Cdn/$1US. Now I'll know what I'm actually paying in Cdn$ for anything purchased onboard. Thx for replying.

👍

14 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

So, anything bought on our cruise should be charged at an exchange rate of $1.25Cdn/$1US. Now I'll know what I'm actually paying in Cdn$ for anything purchased onboard. Thx for replying.

Where does it say that the exchange rate is fixed? My experience on NCL is that it is based on the exchange rate on the day plus 3% charge. Or do you mean you will buy sufficient OBC at $1.25 to last your entire trip?

just buy USD  & take them with you

Get a USD  VISA card from TD or CIBC  along with a USD account so you can buy USD when the rates are good  then pay the VISA cc

The cruise lines do not charge the same rate as the daily bank rate

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

Where does it say that the exchange rate is fixed? My experience on NCL is that it is based on the exchange rate on the day plus 3% charge. Or do you mean you will buy sufficient OBC at $1.25 to last your entire trip?

True, the rate you'll be charged on your balance on check-out will be the going rate. I ensure any balance on my account is charged in US$ and let my bank do the conversion. At least I know the exchange rate paid for the cruise itself.

Only if it's worth it to you, buying OBC in advance does lock in the rate.

• Like 1