Black Tie Nights

True Devonian

I've seen people wearing firmal wear in the buffet on formal nights.

I guess that they feel more comfortable in other public areas wearing formal attire later on in the evening. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I guess that they feel more comfortable in other public areas wearing formal attire later on in the evening. 

Actually, that makes sense.

8 hours ago, emam said:

Actually, that makes sense.

We have done it, preferring a quick light meal before going drinking in the bars and catch the

early shows.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, wowzz said:

And in the spirit of ‘it takes all sorts ……’ DH will invariably change out of formal wear after the MDR meal!  That’s what made the decision easy to choose different venues (non-buffet!) for dining on the other formal nights.

On 7/1/2022 at 9:26 PM, emam said:

Does that mean the Glass house is not formal dress? Wanted to do formal dress for one or two but not main dining room. Sindhu and Epicurean are totally out of the equation.

I’m sure you won’t be turned away from wherever you decide to eat either if you’re wearing formal clothes. Don’t bother about what other people are wearing in there. Regardless of where we eat, if it’s a formal night we dress up. 

• Like 5

We have always worn formal on the nights requested but on one formal night by chance before going into the MDR we looked at the menu at the door before entering and didn't fancy it so we went to the buffet and a passenger was really rude to us because we had formal dress on!

4 minutes ago, July morning said:

We have always worn formal on the nights requested but on one formal night by chance before going into the MDR we looked at the menu at the door before entering and didn't fancy it so we went to the buffet and a passenger was really rude to us because we had formal dress on!

Sounds like he thought you were the Bouncer maybe ?

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2022 at 2:48 PM, zap99 said:

For formal I wear a black dinner suit, white shirt and black bow tie. For black and white night I wear......ditto.........for celebration night, guess what I will wear.🤣

Your Birthday Suit.? 😬

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, July morning said:

Good for you! 

We have now learnt our lesson. On formal nights we look at the MDR menu in the afternoon,  and then decide if it is worth dressing up or not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Good for you! 

We have now learnt our lesson. On formal nights we look at the MDR menu in the afternoon,  and then decide if it is worth dressing up or not.

On our next Britannia cruise there are 4 formal nights. We may do 2 of them. We will decide after looking at the MDR menu which ones to skip.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 11:22 PM, emam said:

Ah, yes I have just found that, there was a link to it. What's the point of calling it something else?

Evening wear - Black tie

Our Gala Evenings, Celebration Night or Black Tie nights, offer a chance to get dressed to the nines in glamorous evening wear. Don your favourite cocktail dress, tuxedo, ball gown or dinner jacket, or alternatively a dark business suit and tie. You may also wear formal national dress or military uniform.

It is, I believe, what used to be the Captain's Welcome Aboard Gala Night. All part of P &O not really knowing how to keep both Old Timers and Newbies happy I think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Britboys said:

It is, I believe, what used to be the Captain's Welcome Aboard Gala Night. All part of P &O not really knowing how to keep both Old Timers and Newbies happy I think.

Too too true

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Britboys said:

In September on Iona we got a voucher for a glass of wine.

7 hours ago, brian1 said:

Still need a dickie bow for that I'm afraid.

Thank Goodness the Cruse i've booked for next year finishes the day before my Birthday. Could be a bit embarassing for me travelling Solo and usually got to ask someone to tie it for me.😱

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Thank Goodness the Cruse i've booked for next year finishes the day before my Birthday. Could be a bit embarassing for me travelling Solo and usually got to ask someone to tie it for me.😱

I have difficulty with a bow tie too and a cruise director told me that once tied he had the tie converted to a clip on. Looks like a proper knot but isn't 😁

8 hours ago, davecttr said:

I have difficulty with a bow tie too and a cruise director told me that once tied he had the tie converted to a clip on. Looks like a proper knot but isn't 😁

Just avoid using a safety pin.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, davecttr said:

I always use the pre knotted ones, never had anyone complain that I was not properly dressed.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gsmt47471015 said:

I wonder if the captain's evening will ever make a return in the format it used to be ? A voucher for one drink is a little underwhelming😒

TBH, drinks with the captain ( with a few hundred others ) is of little interest. A voucher is fine. On RC we only go for the free drinks, but the officers tend to give some interesting facts. Seasoned cruisers often ask who the captain is. Sorry, not interested.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, zap99 said:

TBH, drinks with the captain ( with a few hundred others ) is of little interest. A voucher is fine. On RC we only go for the free drinks, but the officers tend to give some interesting facts. Seasoned cruisers often ask who the captain is. Sorry, not interested.

Actually we only ever went for the drinks!!!! Also pretty sure most captains could do without it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Actually we only ever went for the drinks!!!!

Me too and I never had less than 3 or 4, whereas on Britannia a couple of weeks ago I got a voucher for just one drink. Mind you, if you knew where to look, lots of additional vouchers could be found!!