Disabled Travel

Marc uk

Since the Brilliance of the Seas has moved to Ravenna Italy from Venice there does not seem to be any way of renting a Mobility Scooter.

We are cruising on her on the 15th of July and so time is getting short.
We have tried absolutely everything including Royal Caribbean and all the sites that they recommend.

We have tried every single entry in Google, Bing and Yellow Pages.

We have even tried the Italian tourism board. Bas anybody had a similar experience and was there a solution?

As a disabled traveller it means basically that if I don’t lug one through the airport and have it’s own transport then my ability to move around the ship is greatly decreased.

Since Royal Caribbean have moved the port from Venice to Ravenna it is an extra 40 miles to travel.

Three hours in a coach from Marco Polo.

Cruising on her in July but not really looking forward to this one.
Has anybody had a similar experience and how did you solve it please?

26 minutes ago, Marc uk said:

Since Royal Caribbean have moved the port from Venice to Ravenna it is an extra 40 miles to travel.

Welcome to CC.

It's more like 100mi between the two. Be prepared to transport your own to port.

59 minutes ago, Marc uk said:

Since the Brilliance of the Seas has moved to Ravenna Italy from Venice there does not seem to be any way of renting a Mobility Scooter.

We have tried absolutely everything including Royal Caribbean and all the sites that they recommend.

We have even tried the Italian tourism board. Bas anybody had a similar experience and was there a solution?

As a disabled traveller it means basically that if I don’t lug one through the airport and have it’s own transport then my ability to move around the ship is greatly decreased.

Well, we have our own travel scooter and is used everyplace and has traveled around the world, so I can't help you.  However you you say "lugg" your own scooter through an airport?  Don't you drive it?  Do you have a scooter?  I don't understand why you can't bring it.  You aren't clear on exactly what some of your statements mean.

In order to rent a scooter on the ship, a company must be available.  It is not the cruise line that rents them.  

I tell all "disabled" travelers that if you are not willing to make sacrifices and/or adapt to the different countries, than traveling is not for you.  Buy your own travel scooter, and enjoy life.  Plus, you should post this on the disability board

I don't have any personal experience, however I assume you were trying to get a scooter delivered to the cruise ship itself which of course requires that the company is approved by Royal.  Have you considered instead having the scooter delivered to/picked up from your hotel in Ravenna?   I don't know if that would make any difference in availability and of course it means that you would need to ensure transportation to the port can accommodate the scooter. Or perhaps they can even deliver/pick up from port area even if not into the ship itself.  

You probably came across this company in your own search. Again, I have no experience with them, but they appear to have good reviews. 

https://www.sagetraveling.com/wheelchair-rental-and-mobility-scooters-for-hire

Good luck. Hope you find a solution and enjoy your cruise.

Have you tried calling Scootaround?   Their site says that scooter rentals from Revenna are not available to book on line and that you have to call Scootaround.  I would give this a try.   They partner with scooter companies around the world so they would have to contact their scooter partner in Revenna for a quote and availability.   From Scootaround's website:

Can I rent a scooter to visit another country?

Yes, as long as the rental is picked up and returned to one of our 2500+ North American locations (we currently provide land rental delivery locations only in the United States and Canada). As always, if you’re planning a trip to a foreign country and would like our help to arrange for a personal transport vehicle, give us a call at 1-888-441-7575 - we’ll speak with you about equipment power and charging requirements and other details you may need to know. Scootaround operators can be reached 24/7.

On 6/30/2022 at 2:44 PM, Marc uk said:

Why don’t you either take your own scooter or rent one in your home town to take it with you.

I have a small mobility scooter similar to a Pride GoGo. It has been on countless planes, trains, buses, trams, ferries etc all over Europe.

live just returned from a Princess cruise and it was essential for me on the ship.

public transport throughout Europe is accessible, so you won’t be lugging it anywhere.