Travel day bag

stunned

2 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Several people have mentioned a book.  I think a knitting project is a first. 

Beaches aside, when are y'all reading or crafting?  

When transporting between point A and point B. While waiting for things to start. During my whale watching tour last summer, I spent quite a bit of time knitting while watching the waves (I can knit without looking at my hands.) During meals. 

I cruise solo, so times when someone else might be talking to a travelling companion, I'll usually have my fingers busy knitting or my nose in a book. I'm also not much of a people person, so I'm much more likely to wander on my own than do stuff in a group. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, neeuqdrazil said:

When transporting between point A and point B. While waiting for things to start. During my whale watching tour last summer, I spent quite a bit of time knitting while watching the waves (I can knit without looking at my hands.) During meals. 

I cruise solo, so times when someone else might be talking to a travelling companion, I'll usually have my fingers busy knitting or my nose in a book. I'm also not much of a people person, so I'm much more likely to wander on my own than do stuff in a group. 

I wasn't thinking about transportation time.  I can see that.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Eh, maybe, but that's why I keep my ID and money on my person.  If I were to lose a map or a pack of crackers, my world wouldn't end.  

Several people have mentioned a book.  I think a knitting project is a first. 

Beaches aside, when are y'all reading or crafting?  

When we were on an excursion a couple

of weeks ago I saw at least 3 or 4 women throw their iPhones into their backpack. Craziness. Assuming their wallets were there, too. 

37 minutes ago, awhfy said:

I never use a backpack. I have a crossbody or sling bag dependent of the excursion. Our sling bag is waterproof with a zipper pocket inside

38 minutes ago, awhfy said:

I never use a backpack. I have a crossbody or sling bag dependent of the excursion. Our sling bag is waterproof with a zipper pocket inside

What brand is your sling bag? We are planning a trip to South America next year. I’ve never been, and I’m reading a lot about petty thief and cell phones being grabbed right out of your hands in Buenos Aires. I’ve read to wear your backpack to the front. Although my infinity scarf is light weight and made for warm weather (typical temp is low to mid 80s F when we will be there), I’m thinking maybe I should still plan for another option. Maybe the sling worn to the front is a better option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LarsenPNP said:

What brand is your sling bag? We are planning a trip to South America next year. I’ve never been, and I’m reading a lot about petty thief and cell phones being grabbed right out of your hands in Buenos Aires. I’ve read to wear your backpack to the front. Although my infinity scarf is light weight and made for warm weather (typical temp is low to mid 80s F when we will be there), I’m thinking maybe I should still plan for another option. Maybe the sling worn to the front is a better option.

I have a Travelon sling bag with cut proof straps & body also has locks for zippers. Works well

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, mrgabriel said:

of weeks ago I saw at least 3 or 4 women throw their iPhones into their backpack. Craziness. Assuming their wallets were there, too. 

I don't think a backpack is super dangerous in the Caribbean ... but it's not as safe as keeping your things on your person.  If you're just carrying a towel or sunscreen in it, no big deal.  The loss of the bag (which you still need on the trip) might be worse than the loss of the contents.  

3 hours ago, LarsenPNP said:

What brand is your sling bag?

Mine's a Healthy Back bag -- I have the medium, and I think it's a perfect size.  Love it:  the pockets, etc. are so thoughtfully designed.  

3 hours ago, LarsenPNP said:

We are planning a trip to South America next year. I’ve never been, and I’m reading a lot about petty thief and cell phones being grabbed right out of your hands in Buenos Aires. I’ve read to wear your backpack to the front. Although my infinity scarf is light weight and made for warm weather (typical temp is low to mid 80s F when we will be there), I’m thinking maybe I should still plan for another option. Maybe the sling worn to the front is a better option.

The infinity scarf is a great choice because it's so unusual that no one expects it ... but it's not for all temperatures.  

A bra-pouch (fits under the arm) or an around-the-neck pouch that fits under clothing are good choices /easy to purchase.  They're enough to hold your valuables.  

A friend of mine was in Paris and had two backpacks (hers + her travel companion's) on a bench /one stacked on the other.  She literally had her hand on the top backpack while her friend was taking photographs nearby.  Someone snatched one of the backpacks and was gone before she could react.  A determined thief will get your bag.

But this problem isn't only for traveling.  I won't go to a certain Walmart after dark.  A friend of a friend was grabbed walking in ... she had her keys in her hand, and the thieves grabbed them and threw them.  They had her purse and were in a waiting car in seconds.  And I don't live in a dangerous place.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/15/2023 at 6:13 PM, mrgabriel said:

Using a backpack is not really any different.  I use locking carabiners to keep the zippers from unexpected unzipping.  Some of my daypacks look like purses.  I've traveled around Mexico, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Egypt, Jordan and other countries.  Have yet to have a problem.

• Like 1

For Alaska I’m hiking so I have a waterproof backpack with my essentials which includes 2 bottles of water, body glide, a spare pair of socks etc.

For my trips which are more tourist type attractions or while travelling for work I love my new DellaQ mini messenger. I comfortably wear in under my arm/boob when in a crowd. It holds all my essentials including a small water bottle, snack, small knitting project, phone, wallet, a thin shawl, sunscreen, body glide, lip balm, small pill bottle, inhaler etc. They are made for knitters and have a built in thread cutter and attached stitch markers but unless you are a knitter you would never know. There are pockets meant for circular knitting needles inside which are a great hiding spot for my passport.

the thing I love most is that it doesn’t look like a travel bag. When I’m traveling I try not to look like a tourist. Blend in like a local and you are less likely to be targeted by pickpockets and usually get better service.

• Like 2

Let's talk about waterproof vs. water resistant.  As a language teacher, I am sensitive to the use of words.  Several people on this thread are mentioning waterproof, and it's bugging me:  

- I'd make a guess that not a single person here is carrying a waterproof bag onboard.  Any bag with an exterior zipper IS NOT waterproof; zippers cannot be waterproof.  A waterproof bag is something (expensive) you'd buy to take on a canoe trip; they are heavy with cumbersome entry points that require folding over /sealing up.  They are not comfortable to carry over your arm or on your back.  Waterproof bags are also hard to find.  Examples below.  

- You're almost certainly looking for a water resistant bag, which is probably made of some type of rip-stop nylon ... like a hiking pack.  It'd have a zipper (or maybe a stringed cinch top), multiple pockets, and would be easy-entry, but you might still put your real valuables (electronics, passport -- if you carry such things in a bag) in a ziplock for further protection. 

Screenshot 2023-09-06 10.49.59 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-06 10.49.48 AM.png

Edited by Mum2Mercury

11 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Let's talk about waterproof vs. water resistant.  As a language teacher, I am sensitive to the use of words.  Several people on this thread are mentioning waterproof, and it's bugging me:  

- I'd make a guess that not a single person here is carrying a waterproof bag onboard.  Any bag with an exterior zipper IS NOT waterproof; zippers cannot be waterproof.  A waterproof bag is something (expensive) you'd buy to take on a canoe trip; they are heavy with cumbersome entry points that require folding over /sealing up.  They are not comfortable to carry over your arm or on your back.  Waterproof bags are also hard to find.  Examples below.  

- You're almost certainly looking for a water resistant bag, which is probably made of some type of rip-stop nylon ... like a hiking pack.  It'd have a zipper (or maybe a stringed cinch top), multiple pockets, and would be easy-entry, but you might still put your real valuables (electronics, passport -- if you carry such things in a bag) in a ziplock for further protection. 

Screenshot 2023-09-06 10.49.59 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-09-06 10.49.48 AM.png

As someone who worked in the outdoor gear industry and plays in it still I will say that generally you are correct but on a few points you are not. Zippers can be waterproof as is proof on a dry suit. Waterproof bags are not necessarily expensive but ones that look like backpacks usually are. This also depends on what you consider expensive.

I have two bags I am bringing to Alaska. One I would call water resistant which is pretty useless in my opinion when you can get 100mm (4inches) of rain in a day. The second bag is what I call rainproof, it has a rolled top and waterproof fabric. Even the rainproof bag (which is sold as waterproof) would not be submersion proof but if it dropped in a puddle and was quickly picked up it would be fine.

Agreed anything that is sensitive should be bagged even in a ziplock and I will go beyond and actually suggest freezer bags because they hold up better. 

• Like 2

Oh and just looked at proper waterproof packs (submergible) and I can get one from a reputable company for $25 and a really nice one for $100. So not expensive if you know what your looking for and how to shop.

Also best not to assume that no one on this forum knows what waterproof is. I started in the outdoor industry specializing in whitewater at the age of 16 and then went into textiles where I run my own company now. You may know language but I know packs and textiles

IMG_5022.webp

Edited by SoloAlaska
Added photo
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

As someone who worked in the outdoor gear industry and plays in it still I will say that generally you are correct but on a few points you are not. Zippers can be waterproof as is proof on a dry suit.

I also worked in the outdoor gear industry, though it was in college.  Since then I've done 32 years in the classroom and have retired.  But, wow, I did enjoy selling camping equipment.  I worked in a high-end store that catered to people who really knew what they wanted.  If they hadn't gone out of business, I wouldn't mind working for them again.  

It's going to be a pretty rare bag that is made with a zipper that's really waterproof -- and that's not really what people are talking about here.  When you're searching on the internet, precise terminology makes a difference, as search engines will only respond to what you say -- not what you mean.  

Agreed anything that is sensitive should be bagged even in a ziplock and I will go beyond and actually suggest freezer bags because they hold up better. 

Agree that the extra protection of a freezer bag is worthwhile for something like your important documents.  

Oh and just looked at proper waterproof packs (submergible) and I can get one from a reputable company for $25 and a really nice one for $100. So not expensive if you know what your looking for and how to shop.

Price is subjective.  I'd consider $25 for a bag that's rarely going to be useful (in my life) to be pretty expensive.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I also worked in the outdoor gear industry, though it was in college.  Since then I've done 32 years in the classroom and have retired.  But, wow, I did enjoy selling camping equipment.  I worked in a high-end store that catered to people who really knew what they wanted.  If they hadn't gone out of business, I wouldn't mind working for them again.  

It's going to be a pretty rare bag that is made with a zipper that's really waterproof -- and that's not really what people are talking about here.  When you're searching on the internet, precise terminology makes a difference, as search engines will only respond to what you say -- not what you mean.  

Agree that the extra protection of a freezer bag is worthwhile for something like your important documents.  

Price is subjective.  I'd consider $25 for a bag that's rarely going to be useful (in my life) to be pretty expensive.  

Only 2 of us on this thread have even mentioned waterproof bags. Every outdoor gear shop pretty much sells waterproof backpacks now and in the last few years they have become increasingly popular for bike commuters especially. In my small city I can think of at least 30 stores that sell these types of bags and even some big box stores now carry them. $25 is the price of 2 drinks so really let’s keep that in perspective. If your using it for let’s say 5-7 port days on 1-2 cruises a year for the next 5-10 years that comes to as little as $0.17 a day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

Only 2 of us on this thread have even mentioned waterproof bags.

So?  Doesn't mean other people aren't interested. 

2 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

If your using it for let’s say 5-7 port days on 1-2 cruises a year for the next 5-10 years that comes to as little as $0.17 a day. 

Whereas, if you buy a $25 waterproof bag and use it once, figure out it's not a great day bag for an island stop, then it was a $25 one-use bag.  I suspect most people will fit into this category.  

Regardless, I think the topic's done.  Anyone who's interested has a starting place from which to research.