Brooklyn check-in, why it may be so slow

frankp01

Having just finished checking in at Brooklyn, I have some thoughts as to why check in is so slow there. There were three stations: the first checked that our documents were in order: that we had our COVID test results, our proof of vaccination, and our passport. That cleared us to get our hand baggage scanned. The next station verified that our responses to the health attestation had not changed. The queue moved with no problems to that point. The final station handled what I would call "the Cunard stuff". My photo had been submitted in advance, but I had to pose for a new portrait. I protested that I'd done that step and the agent responded that the application didn't like my photo and that it had to be retaken. My partner's photo *was* acceptable. So the only thing the agent had to do was retake one photo and click "checked in" for each of us. That took about 5-10 minutes! I was watching her hand-held device and could see the spinning cursor after each time she submitted a response. The agent was exhibiting signs of impatience, and at one point pointed to the screen and said something to a supervisor. He shrugged and said "it's a very slow network". The company staffing the terminal is Intercruises. This was the first time the agent was posted to Brooklyn. She was as frustrated as we were. Compounding the issue is that there weren't many windows open. But it's very likely Intercruises staffs based on the passenger loading count and their experience over time at all of their terminals. Maybe those of us who regularly board at Brooklyn need to start a campaign to improve Brooklyn's computing infrastructure.

BTW, I composed and uploaded this message using the terminal's wifi. There had been a question on the forum a year ago as to whether there was wifi. There is! It's a 5 Ghz signal. If you have an older device that looks for a 2.5 Ghz signal, you'll be out of luck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

Having just finished checking in at Brooklyn, I have some thoughts as to why check in is so slow there. There were three stations: the first checked that our documents were in order: that we had our COVID test results, our proof of vaccination, and our passport. That cleared us to get our hand baggage scanned. The next station verified that our responses to the health attestation had not changed. The queue moved with no problems to that point. The final station handled what I would call "the Cunard stuff". My photo had been submitted in advance, but I had to pose for a new portrait. I protested that I'd done that step and the agent responded that the application didn't like my photo and that it had to be retaken. My partner's photo *was* acceptable. So the only thing the agent had to do was retake one photo and click "checked in" for each of us. That took about 5-10 minutes! I was watching her hand-held device and could see the spinning cursor after each time she submitted a response. The agent was exhibiting signs of impatience, and at one point pointed to the screen and said something to a supervisor. He shrugged and said "it's a very slow network". The company staffing the terminal is Intercruises. This was the first time the agent was posted to Brooklyn. She was as frustrated as we were. Compounding the issue is that there weren't many windows open. But it's very likely Intercruises staffs based on the passenger loading count and their experience over time at all of their terminals. Maybe those of us who regularly board at Brooklyn need to start a campaign to improve Brooklyn's computing infrastructure.

BTW, I composed and uploaded this message using the terminal's wifi. There had been a question on the forum a year ago as to whether there was wifi. There is! It's a 5 Ghz signal. If you have an older device that looks for a 2.5 Ghz signal, you'll be out of luck.

10 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

Having same experience as you .

Seems like a lot of training going on.

Got here 10:30 and the first document check right away . 2 more doc checks .

Been seated in the pre boarding area almost 1pm . General. Boarding still not started ☹️

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, frankp01 said:

Thank you frank, pls enjoy being on board. Stay Safe. Happy 4th...

Will be watching....Sorry she has her Webcam turned off....

Will try to get to the Bridge and see you depart down under if not to Hot...

Edited by BklynBoy8

1 minute ago, frankp01 said:

>  It sounds as if there were problems with immigration this morning

Ah, interesting. My impression was that the entire days process was running an hour or two behind.

We thought u would leave around 5 or 6 but now we hear and see storms around Sandy Hook.

Oasis of the Sea headed into them. Don't know if they are heading to Red Hook. Hope it is not going to interfere with the Sailaway Party.

2 hours ago, frankp01 said:

I do see a squall offshore. The captain's announcement said we'd be hoisting sail at 6.

Saw you go out from the BCT to VZ Bridge on my NY Streamline site. Clear passage thru the Harbor. Beautiful 30 minute trip. May the Wind be at your Back..... Safe Sailing....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, frankp01 said:

Glad you're off, even if it's a late start!

Curious as to how long you have U.S. signal once you leave the terminal/port.

On 7/1/2022 at 11:59 PM, kshannon5 said:

Curious as to how long you have U.S. signal once you leave the terminal/

I was socializing with a group of friends around sail away time. I'll try to remember to see when we pick up a signal on our return (assuming that's not at 4am)

• Like 1