Honolulu Hotel

cantgetaname

Looking for recommendations for a post cruise hotel in Honolulu.   Realistically I can't afford the Hilton Waikiki |Beach or any of the more expensive beachfront properties.  So I'm going to have to check out hotels that are a bit more reasonable, and likely across the road or a walk from the beach.   Life happens and I don't want to miss the cruise just over a post cruise hotel.   After all even a 5 or 10 minute walk to Waikiki beach is closer than I am than right now in Canada.   Any recommendations for a hotel that's a bit cheaper 250 per night would be awesome.  

• Like 1

Not sure how prices are now, but we got affordable lodging in December at Ohia Waikiki Suites and Sheraton Princes Kaiulani.  The latter is nicer but the former is OK if you are looking for a cheaper place to stay.  The Princess K is supposed to be redeveloped at some point and bathrooms are a little dated but there are tons of rooms so sometimes deals are available.  As Marriott Bonvoy members we booked the cheapest room but were upgraded to a renovated tower room which was very nice.  Both are conveniently located.

Personally I'd never book the Princess Kaiulani since it has been in flux, will they/won't they tear it down. There are other Marriott properties I'd book first.

@cantgetaname, do you mean you can't afford the Hilton Waikiki Beach, or the Hilton Hawaiian Village? They are two completely different properties.

It doesn't cost to price out hotels, so look using expedia, travelocity, booking.com, etc.

Price out the Outrigger Waikiki Beach, Outrigger Beachcomber, Halepuna, Marriott Waikiki, Hyatt Regency Waikiki, Hyatt Place Waikiki, Surf Jack Hotel & Swim Club, the Marriott Laylow, Waikiki Prince, Ala Moana Hotel, Sand Villa Waikiki, Aqua Bamboo, White Sands Waikiki and Island Colony (to name a few).

We stayed at the Ala Moana years ago when we were there for a conference and then the cruise. Just outside of Waikiki on the other side of the Ala Wai canal and for us was easily walkable to Waikiki. We're likely staying there again this fall due to the significant price difference. And we found the Ala Moana Beach to be much more pleasant than the beach at Waikiki. 

1 hour ago, dogdoc2002 said:

We're likely staying there again this fall due to the significant price difference. And we found the Ala Moana Beach to be much more pleasant than the beach at Waikiki. 

So maybe price out some of the less expensive properties I mentioned (Waikiki Park Hotel, Queen Kapiolani, the Marriott Laylow, Sand Villa Waikiki, Aqua Bamboo, White Sands Waikiki and Halepuna). You don't know what you don't know. You might enjoy the Diamond Head side of Waikiki and Queen's Beach and Kapiolani Park.

2 hours ago, scottca075 said:

So maybe price out some of the less expensive properties I mentioned (Waikiki Park Hotel, Queen Kapiolani, the Marriott Laylow, Sand Villa Waikiki, Aqua Bamboo, White Sands Waikiki and Halepuna). You don't know what you don't know. You might enjoy the Diamond Head side of Waikiki and Queen's Beach and Kapiolani Park.

Over Thanksgiving, there's at least a $200 per night difference between hotels in Waikiki and ones just in the other side of the canal. If target spend my money doing/ seeing things

1 hour ago, dogdoc2002 said:

Over Thanksgiving, there's at least a $200 per night difference between hotels in Waikiki and ones just in the other side of the canal. If target spend my money doing/ seeing things

There are over 80 hotels in Waikiki, not every one is "$200 per night" more. I just checked the Park Shore Waikiki over Thanksgiving and it is less than the Ala Moana Hotel on the same dates.

The Park Shore is on the corner of Kapahulu and Kalakaua, unobstructed to the beach and unobstructed views of Diamond Head through Kapiolani Park.

https://www.parkshorewaikiki.com/

https://goo.gl/maps/wPoV6ACrK4wR9TFz8

317943536.jpg?k=4725d85224ac751b4c31fbbc

It's up to you of course, but there are so many options in Waikiki, doing the same thing and never trying anything else, you'll never know what you might be missing or like better.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Do you know anything about the  Hilton GArden INN ?  Thanks

1 minute ago, nikel said:

Do you know anything about the  Hilton GArden INN ?  Thanks

Nice newish hotel, decent location, very central, but I would ask for a higher room if street noise bothers you (assuming you like to open the windows vs using A/C).

18 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Nice newish hotel, decent location, very central, but I would ask for a higher room if street noise bothers you (assuming you like to open the windows vs using A/C).

Thank you.  Will book that one for now and see what else comes up. All the prices are high for my CDN $.

Hello, 

Fellow Canadians here, so we feel your pain when it comes to the exchange rate! 

For our post-cruise hotel in Waikiki, we booked the VIVE Hotel Waikiki.  We have not stayed there before, but there were many good reviews on TripAdvisor.  The few negative comments had to do with noise from the street (depending on location of your room) and the rooms being on the smaller size (no big deal for us after spending 11 nights in a small cabin, LOL).  VIVE is a boutique hotel that is a short walk to the beach (per their website), offers a deluxe continental breakfast and free use of beach amenities such as towels, mats, chairs and umbrella.  The daily resort fee is waived if you book directly through the hotel.  Obviously, the rates are charged in US $, but the website allows you to choose Cdn $ to give you a better idea of the cost. There are various price options, including an AAA/CAA discount.  

https://www.vivehotelwaikiki.com/

7 hours ago, PenguinTraveller said:

For our post-cruise hotel in Waikiki, we booked the VIVE Hotel Waikiki.  We have not stayed there before, but there were many good reviews on TripAdvisor.

Curious out of all the hotels in Waikiki, how you zoomed in on the Vive? It isn't a hotel that is talked about a lot on the TripAdvisor Oahu Forums. There are a lot of hotels with many good reviews on TA, how did Vive stand out for you?

16 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Curious out of all the hotels in Waikiki, how you zoomed in on the Vive? It isn't a hotel that is talked about a lot on the TripAdvisor Oahu Forums. There are a lot of hotels with many good reviews on TA, how did Vive stand out for you?

Hi scottca075,

I admit we were getting overwhelmed with the number of hotels to look at and we decided to narrow our search by looking at boutique hotels.  VIVE was mentioned on a few "best boutique hotels in Waikiki" lists and the price was more affordable than others that were mentioned.  We liked what the VIVE offered with the exception of not having a pool.  Since the VIVE is a short walk to the beach we decided a pool wasn't a necessary feature for us.  I can't explain it, but even after checking out other hotels, we kept getting drawn back to the VIVE (maybe their website designer should get a bonus, LOL).  I wouldn't be surprised if once we are in Waikiki we'll see many hotels we may want to check out if/when we return (such as the Park Shore Waikiki that you mentioned in an earlier post).  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PenguinTraveller said:

Hi scottca075,

I admit we were getting overwhelmed with the number of hotels to look at and we decided to narrow our search by looking at boutique hotels.  VIVE was mentioned on a few "best boutique hotels in Waikiki" lists and the price was more affordable than others that were mentioned.  We liked what the VIVE offered with the exception of not having a pool.  Since the VIVE is a short walk to the beach we decided a pool wasn't a necessary feature for us.  I can't explain it, but even after checking out other hotels, we kept getting drawn back to the VIVE (maybe their website designer should get a bonus, LOL).  I wouldn't be surprised if once we are in Waikiki we'll see many hotels we may want to check out if/when we return (such as the Park Shore Waikiki that you mentioned in an earlier post).  

I just checked it out.  It sure does look appealing for the price.  The only drawback for us would be there is no balcony.

58 minutes ago, nikel said:

I just checked it out.  It sure does look appealing for the price.  The only drawback for us would be there is no balcony.

Hi nikel,

Oh right, I forgot to mention the lack of balcony/lanai.  We did think about whether we wanted a balcony or not before finally deciding to book.   The least expensive rooms offered a mountain or city view so we went with that since there are no balconies.  If we miss having a balcony, then we'll know for the next time we visit Waikiki.  

For future reference for nice, boutique hotels with pools (and I think all have balconies) look at the Waikiki Sand Villa, White Sands Hotel, Hotel Ilima, Bamboo Waikiki Hotel, Park Shore Waikiki, Queen Kapiolani, Aqua Oasis Hotel and Coconut Waikiki Hotel. Those are just a few, but a few of the nicer/well respected ones.There is another dozen of solid choices.

• Like 2

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn about 4 years ago when it just opened. It was a great location on Kuhio Ave. We weren’t that high up and it wasn’t noisy for sleeping at night. Room was lovely. We’ve also stayed at the Luana Waikiki which is by Fort DeRussy. Love their heated pool and you can easily get to the beach. Another one we stayed at for years is the Doubletree Alana Waikiki. Airline staff used to use this hotel. This is also within.walking distance of the beach by the Hilton Hawaiian Hotel. The Luana and Doubletree are a bit away from the core of the Waikiki area.  These days we stay in a condo at the Ilikai but you have to stay a min of 5 nts I think. We book through Waikiki Beach Rentals.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 12:46 PM, cantgetaname said:

Looking for recommendations for a post cruise hotel in Honolulu.   Realistically I can't afford the Hilton Waikiki |Beach or any of the more expensive beachfront properties.

Try the Waikiki Marriott, Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, Hyatt Place, Hyatt Centric, Laylow and Hilton Waikiki Beach. I know these are all big chain hotels, but we like getting nights to get perks and free nights down the road.

• Like 1

We stay at the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel.  Reasonable price and across the street from the beach.  You can get a city view or Diamond Head view cheaper than ocean front.  Subway and ABC store near by to save on food dollars.

• Like 1