Just back! Our VIKING SKY-mazing 7 day Ancient Mediterranean Treasures - 6/25 to 7/2/2022. Full trip report with tons of pix!

Sleep7

THURSDAY - CANAKKALE (TROY) TURKEY

Good morning Canakkale!

First must say that I have been pronouncing it all wrong leaving up to this cruise.  It's Shen-na-kolay... not 
Kanna-kalli as I had been calling it.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1RmQ-468EkCNCG8OQ0qEsctKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789124

We had signed up for the included Troy and Canakkale tour but then the night before we decided to cancel our spot.
Just spending a leisurely few hours walking around town sounded like a nice idea.
I was tired of dodging the sun and we both were ready for a break from sightseeing. 
We had been GO GO GO for 5 days straight and were kinda pooped.
It was nice to have some free time in the morning to relax.  We ate a delicious breakfast in The Restaurant as opposed to our usual World Cafe.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1TpY5KEgmIdgnUMcrOlBqypV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656789146

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1S-6wHogROvDeb0hEB1knY1aAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656789145

I also wanted to seek out my hairdryer fairy and thank her in person!

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QltBvA26d_LyCYVppe3LwvUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656789139

We checked out the new menu at The Chef's Table. 

Looked interesting.. not really our thing but didn't matter anyways since there were no reservations left for tonight anyways.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1TiULZsvjarHmBtvIkBEnOcldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656789144

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QoHhNr0-68OtXWgDrWZl2VldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656789143

• Thanks 1

The ship was running a shuttle into town beginning at 10am and ending at 4pm. 
There was no set schedule.. just hop on the bus that was leaving from the pier. 
It was about a 20 minute drive from the ship to the center of town.  We were dropped off in front of McDonalds.  You needed a "shore card" that was left in our staterooms the night before.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1SJLq21i2ZdiX6qv7hTCsNw4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656789138

Canakkale was a great town to walk around in!  Lots of shade if you chose the right side of the street and lots to see and to sample.  Also, unlike Kusadasi, there were very few shopkeepers beckoning you into their stores.  It was a much more relaxed atmosphere and it made for a very pleasant few hours.  
On the waterfront was a huge wooden sculpture of the Trojan Horse. 

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1TPmmgs2qX_F-rac7zyx7ZildMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789135

1 hour ago, Sleep7 said:
Then we continued onto the city center.  I was truly wowed by how truly beautiful and medieval the city of Rhodes is.  We had visited Carcassonne on our previous Viking cruise last fall and Rhodes was equally as impressive with its mostly intact layers of city walls.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QfXwfQdO20QSopbTi7feGzaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656789237

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1T_7lBd_q5L6wAi_iFfgLjy5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789236

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QQP0Nbdq93-6SuvLafly7EldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656789232

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1SbVZ1dI4Ny_DUowsGxE7XOrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656789227

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1Tdg7W90zzbQO0EA2jSbnCrrnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789230

I love all your dresses.

• Like 2

We had a light lunch of delicious Turkish vegetarian food. 

The owner spoke perfect English and was super friendly. 

We just kind of told him what we wanted and he made a plate for us.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1SRczDz1N98dZqlj9C4v3s_5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789134

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QPU_SlVBDUQm66tUK0QIPPKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789133

2 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

I love all your dresses.

🤗Oh thanks so much!! They knee length ones are mostly from LL Bean.  They have wonderful dresses that are 100% cotton and very easy to wear.🥰

The long ones are from Madewell and Old Navy.. good for sun coverage too.

• Like 1

After lunch we walked back to the shuttle stop at McDonalds and hopped on a waiting bus.
BIG shout out to Turkey who is making a huge effort to help tourists navigate their country easily.  All over each Turkish city we visited were guides wearing bright orange T-shirts, who there to answer questions and give directions.  Priceless!

Back at the port an Azamara ship was "parked" next door.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1TXwavicwqYPdzSRE7abdcmKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789127

Checked out the laundry room and it was empty so I hustled back to the cabin to gather up our dirty clothes.
Most of the ship was still on their shore excursions so it was a great time to do it.  Less work for me when we get home is always a good thing!

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QGtABYF9j-kzsiJI_R4XvaVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656789127

Looks like a great trip.

Confused about your needing a covid test at the pier in Athens. I've searched everywhere and can't find any notification of this on any official Greek governmental websites that are in English. If anyone point me to one I would be appreciative.

Obviously your photos document you needing to have it done.

Thanks.

It was "Surf and Turf night" at the restaurant so we had a delicious dinner there.

The Lobster Thermador was a little more thermador than lobster but delicious none the less.😁

Soft shell crab appetizer.. piping hot and tasty!

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1SkfxZvCwzQx7IpTsVz25nOKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789121

😋The aforementioned Lobster Thermador.🦞

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1R9GXs94_KN7W7ErjoWAUfKVZV51t4MhjbEwRNyGscOgg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656789120

15 minutes ago, Sleep7 said:

🤗Oh thanks so much!! They knee length ones are mostly from LL Bean.  They have wonderful dresses that are 100% cotton and very easy to wear.🥰

The long ones are from Madewell and Old Navy.. good for sun coverage too.

Great, thank you.  We have a new Old Navy nearby.  Doing a Caribbean and Amazon cruise in February.  Its going to be hot and humid.  I find dresses the coolest apparel.

4 minutes ago, Flgreg said:

Looks like a great trip.

Confused about your needing a covid test at the pier in Athens. I've searched everywhere and can't find any notification of this on any official Greek governmental websites that are in English. If anyone point me to one I would be appreciative.

Thanks.

Hi Flgreg!

Yes.. It was a surprise to us too.

Before we left had googled about cruising in Europe and there was something about that each country might have their own rules about embarking on a cruise ship from their country.  It was a very vague reference so I didn't pay it much attention.🤷‍♀️

If we had tested before we left the USA and showed them the documentation I had the feeling that we would not have been tested at the pier.

Just now, TayanaLorna said:

Great, thank you.  We have a new Old Navy nearby.  Doing a Caribbean and Amazon cruise in February.  Its going to be hot and humid.  I find dresses the coolest apparel.

😍I just LOVE dresses too! So easy.. you don't have to think of a top and a bottom.. just put on a dress and you are DONE!  I would hustle into your Old Navy as soon as you can.. they are clearing out summer stuff already.

7 minutes ago, Flgreg said:

Looks like a great trip.

Thanks.

If you are sailing from Greece check out your MVJ. Go to the before you go section and it tells you there. I was surprised to see this too to be honest.

• Like 2

Thanks to Sleep7 and cruiseinchrissy for the replies. Just went to MVY and there it is. Our cruise from  Athens  isn't until late November so who knows what the policy will be by that time.

• Like 2

Since many passengers were going to be off the ship the following evening on excursions The Sky held their Viking Farewell reception with Captain Fredrik Nilsson tonight. 

It was sinking in that tomorrow was the last day of our cruise so it was bittersweet.

There was true camaraderie among the crew which was palpable.. very heartwarming.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QEz70HnZ_XQlnyp6325lCL5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789107

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1T59BH2V4QPOP4GJY4pFTYGldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789108

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QmMbIvRGdFx-XYPdncdBAJ5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789107

11 minutes ago, Sleep7 said:

Hi Flgreg!

Yes.. It was a surprise to us too.

Before we left had googled about cruising in Europe and there was something about that each country might have their own rules about embarking on a cruise ship from their country.  It was a very vague reference so I didn't pay it much attention.🤷‍♀️

If we had tested before we left the USA and showed them the documentation I had the feeling that we would not have been tested at the pier.

I found that many country entrance requirement sites give info for arriving on plane or train and then traveling around.  The requirement for boarding a cruise ship can be different and often that kind of travel is not on those government sites.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Flgreg said:

Thanks to Sleep7 and cruiseinchrissy for the replies. Just went to MVY and there it is. Our cruise from  Athens  isn't until late November so who knows what the policy will be by that time.

Oh glad we helped.. Once I read that Viking didn't require preboard testing I didn't bother to look at MVJ any further.  My mistake.. it was there in black and white.

Who knows about the fall though.. you're right.

Look how much things have changed in the last month.

We met many people on the ship who were just finishing their 3rd week on board.. when they got on the procedures were totally different.

1 minute ago, TayanaLorna said:

I found that many country entrance requirement sites give info for arriving on plane or train and then traveling around.  The requirement for boarding a cruise ship can be different and often that kind of travel is not on those government sites.  

Yep! I agree.🙋‍♀️

• Like 1

Thanks for this, we did Istanbul to Venice in May and I enjoyed your photos bringing back memories.  We had same experience at Plaka District but without the heat.

Someone asked about Thermal Spa appointments.  In May there was no need to schedule.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PasadenaDave said:

Thanks for this, we did Istanbul to Venice in May and I enjoyed your photos bringing back memories.  We had same experience at Plaka District but without the heat.

Someone asked about Thermal Spa appointments.  In May there was no need to schedule.

👋Thanks PasadenaDave!  So glad you are enjoying the pix and that it's bring back your wonderful cruise in May.😃

2 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

This is a wonderful thread, thanks for all the effort in assembling all the pictures!

👋Oh thanks so much Cienfuegos!

I really have to thank my husband too as he was incredibly patient as I took pictures of literally EVERYTHING!!

I'm so glad you are enjoying it!!!🤗

3 hours ago, Sleep7 said:
It was amazing!  Delightful service and scrumptious food at a relaxing pace.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QNG5r1jO6PzFz99m9aaglMKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789199

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1Q8ZLYFld18FYv-Tdt7fM4U4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789200

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1SW79qEzC8_BY-ePiEF5Y_H5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789198

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1Qp-Gm8JTgXcwhUP7fZR5C2ldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789198

The Greek lamb shank was my absolute best dinner December 2021, Greek Odyssey. Am sure your chateaubriand and fish were equally delicious. On that voyage, the taste of Greece buffet was a lunch.  Was terrific!  Hope you tried the 3 varieties of Baklava.  

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info
  • Like 1