Cabin doors

21 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I'm curious...does the assistance dog help to open the door somehow?

No he mainly acts as an anchor, our little girl is an extreme eloper, when we are out and about she is harnessed to the dog so we can walk around without her running away, it keeps her calmer and focused. He's also therapeutic.

The door handle is I am trying to figure out a portable child lock as our little girl could run away from the room during the night. 

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, smush21 said:

No he mainly acts as an anchor, our little girl is an extreme eloper, when we are out and about she is harnessed to the dog so we can walk around without her running away, it keeps her calmer and focused. He's also therapeutic.

The door handle is I am trying to figure out a portable child lock as our little girl could run away from the room during the night. 

Not sure if it helps or not, but I believe there's a deadbolt on all the doors.

31 minutes ago, smush21 said:

The dog is not trained to alert you if the child gets out of bed?    There are systems for alerting if a person gets out of bed or steps on a mat in front of a door.

9 minutes ago, nextcruiseis said:

The dog is not trained to alert you if the child gets out of bed?    There are systems for alerting if a person gets out of bed or steps on a mat in front of a door.

Yes he would, but she is quick and runs so need to have backup too.

5 hours ago, flamingos said:

I have never seen cabin doors that open out into the hallway. That sounds like it would cause issues.

4 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

On Oasis class and Quantum class the doors are recessed from the hallway into an alcove

I can't speak for the cruise ship industry but I just retired from the commercial building management business and in that business, doors were not allowed to open into a hallway. If the door opened out, it had to open into an alcove.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I think we've determined that some ships have them doing both, although we're not certain why.

One possible reason I saw was that they don't get in the way of the doors that connect connecting cabins, which can be near the entrance to the cabins.

That WOULD make sense, but we were in connecting rooms on Allure and the doors opened inward. It was awkward! Plus the bathroom doors were right there, also, and those opened out into the same space as the outer door and the connecting door. It wasn't as hard in my kids' room because the connecting door came towards our room, but they had the bed closer to the bathroom and it was harder for them to squeeze through the walkway towards the bathroom. Off topic, but WHY do they put any of the beds by the closet/bathroom space...

11 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I can't speak for the cruise ship industry but I just retired from the commercial building management business and in that business, doors were not allowed to open into a hallway. If the door opened out, it had to open into an alcove.

They do have a little alcove where the doors are, but I still seems odd. 

4 minutes ago, jbrinkm said:

That WOULD make sense, but we were in connecting rooms on Allure and the doors opened inward. It was awkward! Plus the bathroom doors were right there, also, and those opened out into the same space as the outer door and the connecting door. It wasn't as hard in my kids' room because the connecting door came towards our room, but they had the bed closer to the bathroom and it was harder for them to squeeze through the walkway towards the bathroom. Off topic, but WHY do they put any of the beds by the closet/bathroom space...

The door mystery continues!

As far as bed placement, I believe it is so that they can alternate cabins with beds placed near the closet/near the balcony so that they can make the cabins smaller by indenting the cabins a little in the desk/sofa area.  If all the beds were lined up in a row in every cabin, the rooms would have to be wider.  Kinda hard to explain in words, but if you look at a true floorplan, or an actual cabin, it would make more sense.

Edited by time4u2go

9 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

The door mystery continues!

As far as bed placement, I believe it is so that they can alternate cabins with beds placed near the closet/near the balcony so that they can make the cabins smaller by indenting the cabins a little in the desk/sofa area.  If all the beds were lined up in a row in every cabin, the rooms would have to be wider.  Kinda hard to explain in words, but if you look at a true floorplan, or an actual cabin, it would make more sense.

I'm picturing like a yin/yang symbol?

On 7/3/2022 at 1:47 PM, smush21 said:

Thanks, it depends if it is door handle activated she will bypass it. 

I think I have sourced a portable lock which stops the handle from going down which might work. 

Could you please provide a link for this lock, as I can help with whether it would be allowed or not, or whether it would work, having maintained cruise ship door locks in the past.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Could you please provide a link for this lock, as I can help with whether it would be allowed or not, or whether it would work, having maintained cruise ship door locks in the past.

My best guess is that the lock looks something like this:

Capture.JPG

22 minutes ago, orville99 said:

My best guess is that the lock looks something like this:

As these use a 3M adhesive strip to adhere the lock to the door, there will likely be damage or residue on the door, and possible charges for this.