Electrical outlets

Jjg34219

3 hours ago, Jjg34219 said:

Do we need to bring Euro C type adapters or are there enough 110V outlets? We would be using mostly for charging electronic devices.

I bring a couple of adapters so that I can the 240 outlets as well as the 120s.

• Like 2

As you can tell from the two answers received it all depends on how many times you need to charge.  We are with Heidi on this one but we only have our phones and tablets to charge. 

Here is my recollection of the outlets available in V and DV stateroom - there may be more (and I suspect there are definitely more in the higher category staterooms): 

-desk: US outlet, Euro outlet

-each bedside: US outlet, Euro outlet, at least one USB outlets (maybe there are two?)

• Like 1

I watched several stateroom Yutube videos, and I saw 5 USB on desk lamp in addition to above mentioned outlets. We take adapters for pre and post hotel stays, and airport charging. We might also need a boost camera charge while in port. (I do carry portable chargers in my pack.) 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! Our new Ipads and phones both require the USB-C so not sure the USB ports are much help. We will just bring along a couple adapters…with the $$$ spent for the trip whats another 12 bucks…😂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jjg34219 said:

Thanks everyone! Our new Ipads and phones both require the USB-C so not sure the USB ports are much help. We will just bring along a couple adapters…with the $$$ spent for the trip whats another 12 bucks…😂

Which ship? Seems like I saw a YouTube of one of the new ships (Octantis?) and the vlogger was happy they had usb-c ports. Maybe same on Mars?  Even if not, with the abundance of power outlets will you really need the adapters too?

• Like 1

You did not mention if you booked any pre or post extensions.   If you did, you will need a type C adapter,  I would still recommend bringing an adapter in case there are delays at the airport or something happens that you must stay in a hotel.  The adapter is not expensive or large.  It is better to be safe than sorry.  JohnEB

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, johneb2 said:

You did not mention if you booked any pre or post extensions.   If you did, you will need a type C adapter,  I would still recommend bringing an adapter in case there are delays at the airport or something happens that you must stay in a hotel.  The adapter is not expensive or large.  It is better to be safe than sorry.  JohnEB

Yeah we had them for our Rhine cruise last month. Next trip is pre in Alaska and post cruise Vancouver

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jjg34219 said:

I just bought a new iPad with the USB C connection.  You can buy cords with a USB A on one and and USB C on the other.  This way, you don’t need to bring the brick too.

We have other things that also need to be charged, so usually bring a USB hub with us too.

Edited by Mich3554
  • Like 2

I have a power strip question, does Viking allow them? On the list of prohibited items, it states no extension cords, so that’s confusing. Hubby has a small rectangular 4 outlet power strip he likes. Thanks. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pontac said:

Take a power strip and then you need only one adaptor for whichever country you go to. Power strips increasingly also have USB sockets.

Viking, as do most cruise line ban the bringing onboard of extension cords and surge protectors. Many power strips have an integral surge protector.

Surge protectors are a fire hazard aboard ships, as they are incompatible with the ship's wiring. It is therefore critical, if bringing a power bar aboard that you confirm that it does not include a surge protector.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CDR2001 said:

I have a power strip question, does Viking allow them? On the list of prohibited items, it states no extension cords, so that’s confusing. Hubby has a small rectangular 4 outlet power strip he likes. Thanks. 

Most power strips are not acceptable, as many of them include a surge protector. Surge Protectors are incompatible with marine wiring and can overheat, resulting in a fire.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Viking, as do most cruise line ban the bringing onboard of extension cords and surge protectors. Many power strips have an integral surge protector.

Thank you. I didn't know that and I can't recall seeing it mentioned on Vikings website

• Like 2

Thank you, I figured the power block was a no. FYI, Pontac, the prohibited items list is buried deep in MVJ. It’s under Before you go…information for your cruise…packing suggestions. ( yes I read and click every link!) 

Just be aware that when you remove your room key from the slot that controls the power to the room, the power goes off from the USB ports too.  So if you are charging something while away from your room, nothing gets charged.  

19 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

Just be aware that when you remove your room key from the slot that controls the power to the room, the power goes off from the USB ports too.  So if you are charging something while away from your room, nothing gets charged.  

Stick a business card or other ID in your wallet in the slot and never take it out till time to go home.  Keeps the power on to the outlets.  Cut your lights off so not to waste power now.....

• Like 3