Traveling to Rome/Italy with carry on only

Lena11033

Apart from the usual airline, train, ferry challenges one key reason why we do carry on is our physical ability to handle our luggage under all circumstances.  

We are not going from home to airport to hotel to cruise ship.  The cruise is typically a small part of our extended trip.  Just returned from touring Portugal by train.  We are on and off ferries in Greece and Thailand.  Everything for stuffing bags into small  rental cars or wheeling bags over cobblestone streets.

There is often no assistance available whatsoever.  We tend to be very independent and very spontaneous travelers.  We can find ourselves  staying in everything  from 2 star B&B's to six star resorts.

I had no problem with carry on after years of business travel.  DW no so much.  Now we are at the point where the only clothes we buy are those that travel well and are lightweight.  

Edited by iancal

We do not care about what others may think.  Nor are we the type that foolishly concern ourselves with the 'dressing like a local' to blend in nonsense.  It is all about comfort and convenience for us.  We quickly learned this when we started doing extended travels.

I take two pairs of shoes.  The comfortable, casual ones on my feet that are great for walking.  And a pair of the lightest Teva sandals in my carry on.   DW takes three pair, two lightweight pairs in her bag. 

• Like 1