Live from MSC Seaview...and it's not good...

amurray88

Well, MSC offers you to BUY flexibility (Aurea) and even flexibility plus attitude (YC) 😇

Perakcruiser ... You may not be aware but we have sailed 10 times with MSC on 7 ships at least half in Aurea so we are well aware of how they work, paying more should not mean the service received below that level should be worse.
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, MsTabbyKats said:

OMG....this is supposed to be a vacation for a week, not a week in jail, where you need to follow the rules or not eat.  You pay their salaries.  They need to learn customer service.  Although "the customer isn't always right"....it's a lot easier to keep repeat business than look for new business.  Flexibility...make "that customer" feel special.

As far as the "upsells"....I'd smile and say "no thanks" and walk away.  Annoying but laughable!

If the line subscribes to a fixed dining structure and the consumers selects that option (understanding what “fixed” means), why is it considered bad customer service to expect the consumer to live by their choice?

By the OP’s own admission, they understand the chaos that can be unleashed if hundreds of guests scheduled with a fixed dining time all wanted special treatment for their individually changing scenarios.

The crux of the issue is someone who made a choice, wasn’t accommodated (albeit in a poorly handled way) and now feels as if the “customer comes first” theory should be applied.

When I deal with this kind of situation in my similar industry, I simply (and politely) advise in as apologetic a manner as possible that the request cannot be accommodated and end the conversation.   Some may feel this is not “customer friendly” but when you are dealing with a clientele of thousands in a structured environment you cannot make every one of them individually happy when they change their minds midstream. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StolidCruiser said:

Agree 1000%

If the line subscribes to a fixed dining structure and the consumers selects that option (understanding what “fixed” means), why is it considered bad customer service to expect the consumer to live by their choice?

By the OP’s own admission, they understand the chaos that can be unleashed if hundreds of guests scheduled with a fixed dining time all wanted special treatment for their individually changing scenarios.

The crux of the issue is someone who made a choice, wasn’t accommodated (albeit in a poorly handled way) and now feels as if the “customer comes first” theory should be applied.

When I deal with this kind of situation in my similar industry, I simply (and politely) advise in as apologetic a manner as possible that the request cannot be accommodated and end the conversation.   Some may feel this is not “customer friendly” but when you are dealing with a clientele of thousands in a structured environment you cannot make every one of them individually happy when they change their minds midstream. 

@StolidCruiserTo be honest, I'm a type B personality who eats almost exclusively in the buffet, and on MSC I eat almost exclusively pizza in the buffet.  So, I don't relate to this MDR thing.

But, as a paying customer I'd like to be treated with respect, and if I give a good reason for a "one time favor" I'd appreciate it if it was honored.  I doubt every chair in the MDR was occupied.

4 hours ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I was one of those people.

Unfortunately,I now have 4 booked.

Only different thing is they all are with a TA.

Already had several issues, but TA dealt with it.

I love the product, hate IT and CS.

Funny....because many TAs won't deal with MSC.

Customer service is awful.  The website isn't much better. Once was enough for me in the MDR.

So....why do I cruise with MSC?  I love the Swarovski crystal staircase, I love the entertainment, I love the international crowd and I love the pizza.  They're worth it for the "hours of phone frustration".

To me, it's like going to Italy but skipping the flight!

On 7/4/2022 at 6:17 PM, amurray88 said:

I've got to say, unless this gets significantly better I will not touch MSC again.

Your experience confirms my beliefs in never booking the lowest price category on any cruise line. Sounds like one step above having one shanghaied and then impressed into service. Seen many reviews of many reporting the same on other cruise lines low priced categories. Now if one was 'accosted' in such a manner as you report in the higher categories, that would be 'newsworthy'. One might be pleasantly surprised with ones treatment on board any MSC ship in the higher categories.

8 hours ago, StolidCruiser said:

There are alot of things that could cause chaos on a cruise ship but it doesn't happen. If everyone showed up to dinner and ordered the same dish I'm sure it would cause chaos but it doesn't happen, in the same way that they know there will only be one or two people who would like to change on any given night.

To be clear, I was never given a choice by MSC on my dining time.

If I was to take a video of the service in bar areas compared to the sales pitch at dinner every night you would think I was on 2 different ships. You say the crux of the issue is someone wanted special treatment - being able to get a drink at breakfast or lunch at the same time as eating in my humble opinion should not be special treatment. Being passed from pillar to post and then told it's no issue to change dinner time for it then to be an issue is not special treatment (albeit the original request was asking for flexibility) and being able to go on a cruise ship without being sat down and told your drinks package isn't good enough should also not be special treatment.

Only my opinion but I do think there's alot that I've spoken about that isn't me being dramatic or wanting unrealistic service 

4 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

To be clear, I was never given a choice by MSC on my dining time.

This just means your agent decided for you.  Every booking on MSC includes a requested dining time (early or late), mandatory to be completed at the time of booking and included on the booking confirmation.   Of course sometimes not everyone gets the time they wanted, but you cannot book a cruise without filling this field.

But I hope you enjoy the rest of your cruise - I think the Seaview itinerary is one of the best available at the moment and we've had some great times on the ship.  Perhaps if you just stay in the bars 🙂 😄 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 8420PR said:

This just means your agent decided for you.  Every booking on MSC includes a requested dining time (early or late), mandatory to be completed at the time of booking and included on the booking confirmation.   Of course sometimes not everyone gets the time they wanted, but you cannot book a cruise without filling this field.

1 hour ago, perakcruiser said:

Probably you booked with a travel agent and the agent forgot to ask you. 

I've genuinely lost count of the times we've chatted to fellow cruisers who did not know what they had booked. Or their booking wasn't actually what they wanted. Not criticising the OP, just reminded me of a general observation.

We've had conversations where people have questioned how we've got flexible dining or a drink package included, when they have not. They always seem mightily surprised that we've had our options because we booked them.  

Now, I would admittedly be learning towards OCD/control freak tendencies but its for the very reason that I don't like unpleasant surprises and my booking is precisely what I want. I'm sure not every agent is the same but it certainly appears some make a booking without going through the options available for customers. And then the customer is unhappy, filling review sites and CC with their perceived issues. 

• Like 1

I think in general for those used to booking a simple package holiday booking a cruise is a bit of a minefield with myriad options available. Not only the route/ports, but also the cabin classes and then on top of that the many options and excursions. Many are hooked by the “From” price and this quickly escalates when you start adding things in. I don’t think the cruise lines are always that great at explaining the differences either. 

I know we spent many weeks researching and understanding what we were getting when we booked our first MSC cruise.

I think that is why Marella is so successful in the UK as they keep the package relatively simple, very close to a normal all inclusive package holiday in Europe. Drinks included for all, with a single premium drinks upgrade package with a one off price.

Apologies to the OP as this drifts from your original feedback. I have to admit I very much enjoy sailing with MSC and the price point is excellent but as you’ve experienced they sometimes struggle with anything that doesn’t follow the normal approach. But I’m sure for many many others everything is very smooth and goes beyond what they expect. 

I do hope you’re enjoying your holiday and things are improving. I have to admit I never experienced the hard sell except once… and a polite “not interested” was all that was required.

39 minutes ago, Rossco01 said:

I think in general for those used to booking a simple package holiday booking a cruise is a bit of a minefield with myriad options available. Not only the route/ports, but also the cabin classes and then on top of that the many options and excursions. Many are hooked by the “From” price and this quickly escalates when you start adding things in. I don’t think the cruise lines are always that great at explaining the differences either. 

I know we spent many weeks researching and understanding what we were getting when we booked our first MSC cruise.

I think that is why Marella is so successful in the UK as they keep the package relatively simple, very close to a normal all inclusive package holiday in Europe. Drinks included for all, with a single premium drinks upgrade package with a one off price.

Apologies to the OP as this drifts from your original feedback. I have to admit I very much enjoy sailing with MSC and the price point is excellent but as you’ve experienced they sometimes struggle with anything that doesn’t follow the normal approach. But I’m sure for many many others everything is very smooth and goes beyond what they expect. 

I do hope you’re enjoying your holiday and things are improving. I have to admit I never experienced the hard sell except once… and a polite “not interested” was all that was required.

This is why, I usually go by the MSC's partnered charter groups with a tour leader. Yeah: Those bookings do have some out of regular terms and conditions, but in general you'll get exactly what the partner TA has purchased into.

It is OK on me to have different classes of guests with different prices and service levels. What isn't OK with me is to have some differentiation on same level same terms and conditions guests. @StolidCruiser has more than well stated how things should work on a structured product. Thanks.

More: If you have for example an 18:30 time slot you're given 15 minutes tolerance to arrive. Some ships go the 30 minutes time tolerance, especially if you're on a port of call with a late departure. This is why, in most of those cruises in such situations the official dinner time will change for those days.

As for people whom have never had dinner time options on MSC: Bella cabins cannot to chose their dinner time. It will to be fixed by them at embarkation time. Some Fantastica cabins might to fall on same issue, depending on whether those are the terms and conditions of a particular TA's block.

Have a nice day!

On 7/4/2022 at 9:19 PM, Germancruiser said:

Just a week since I am back from the Seaview-your report confirms what I thought when walking the ship. If MSC - then Yacht Club. What you report is outragious- unbelievable almost- what where they thinking?

My YC experience was wonderful - as the last time one Seaside. YC or not- what you experienced should not happen - that is not the kind of service one is used from cruise ships- no matter in what part of the ship one sails.

The salespeople with Spa offers and Speciality Dinning options walked the YC Pool Deck from time to time- but in a very very discret manner!

We’ve sailed YC 5 times and I’ll tell you even YC is not what it used to be. Some of the same issues plague the experience now. We will be using some of our last FCC money next week on a short 4ni sailing and hoping it is better than last couple times. 

36 minutes ago, BoundForSea said:
On 7/4/2022 at 9:19 PM, Germancruiser said:

We’ve sailed YC 5 times and I’ll tell you even YC is not what it used to be.

It is startling the contrast between posters. Perhaps first timers in the YC are struck by the attention. Then we and our service providers become complacent (?) on subsequent sailings. They and we become 'known' quantities ? Sure many of our favorites have not come back and the newbies do not know the extent of their services. But we had a seasoned butler on the first leg of our cruise in June and he was abruptly replaced by another butler who excelled even he. She was not quite sure the extent of her powers as a butler, so we did not expect instant gratification (a yes answer), but she came back with even more 'flourish'. How these butlers manage having 12/13 cabins to attend to and give such great service the entire cruise, begs the question.

• Like 1