Is there ad advantage to using Celebrity Insurance for non-refundable cruise vs. other insurance?

Linda W.

Not sure the advantage for using Celebrity insurance for our B2B cruise next Feb vs another insurance.  The price is over $500 and the refund will be 90% in future cruise credit if we get covid up to 10 days prior to leaving.  What are your thoughts?

Insurance reimburses 100% cash for cancellation as a result of a covered reason. Covid is covered as any other illness. If you’d rather have a full refund instead of 90% FCC, then insurance will provide that as well as coverage for other medical and travel risks such as trip delay or trip interruption if quarantine is still an issue depending on Celebrity’s assistance policy at the time of your sailing.

Whether you choose to get cruise line insurance or third-party insurance depends on your needs. Third-party insurance considers age in the premium calculation so that and the relatively low dollar limits for medical coverage are factors you’ll need to weigh in your decision.

1 hour ago, Linda W. said:

Not sure the advantage for using Celebrity insurance for our B2B cruise next Feb vs another insurance.  The price is over $500 and the refund will be 90% in future cruise credit if we get covid up to 10 days prior to leaving.  What are your thoughts?

I've never found an advantage to using cruise or airline insurance. You can get relatively inexpensive  third party insurance that will cover whatever you need. As @Babr said, it's based on your age and the age of your traveling companions.

To give you an example, my wife and I are both in our late 50s. I just spent $150 for $5K worth of insurance. This will cover 2 cruises, airlines, and a trip to Universal.

Trip interruption is $6250, Medical is $75K (with $250K for medical evac and $500 for dental), travel delay is $150/day and bags are covered at $600.

99% of the time I use Nationwide Essentials. I've had 2 claims with them in the past (one medical and one trip cancelation). Both times it was a quick, easy process to get reimbursed.

• Like 1

The only advantage I've ever seen with using insurance from the cruise line is that it could be easier if you need to make a claim. That's never been worth it to us. Even our TA recommends against it. 

27 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

The only advantage I've ever seen with using insurance from the cruise line is that it could be easier if you need to make a claim. That's never been worth it to us. Even our TA recommends against it. 

The cruise line merely sells you a policy with its name on it. The policy is underwritten by a major company like Nationwide, and the claims are administered by a company contracted for that service like AON Affinity or TripMate.  The cruise line does not have anything to do with the process.

Not sure what your TA is telling you; but if she is selling you a policy from her agency, she is making a commission.

33 minutes ago, Babr said:

Not sure what your TA is telling you; but if she is selling you a policy from her agency, she is making a commission.

Well, def agree with this. Don't buy from cruise, airlines, or TA.

26 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

We travel frequently enough that an annual travel policy gives us good coverage for less than covering each trip and covers many situations for all travel including here at home.

🙂

Humble brag?

Cruise line ins is fairly basic and if you live in NY or some other states,  you need to buy from their third party rep..not very  convenient.

Being on medicare with supp ins that won't cover  us out of the US,  we need a good amount of med ins coveragem  along with evac  ins to get us home in case of illness or injury..

Have to start looking for our Nov cruise...

15 hours ago, Babr said:

She isn't.  She isn't selling us a policy at all, as a matter of fact.  On her recommendation, we bought an annual policy (and we didn't buy it through her).

15 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

She isn't.  She isn't selling us a policy at all, as a matter of fact.  On her recommendation, we bought an annual policy (and we didn't buy it through her).

Good. You likely got something that more accurately meets your needs though it may not be the best choice for everyone.

Edited by Babr