UK flights to Rome

Flying out with BA London to Rome on morning of embarkation for Greek Isles cruise 11/9/22 with Royal Caribbean Odyssey of the Seas. With the ongoing problems with flight cancellations I am concerned that we will not make it on time for the cruise. Surely RC should book flights to arrive day before ?  After all we are continually advised to do just that. 

29 minutes ago, Babush said:

Flying out with BA London to Rome on morning of embarkation for Greek Isles cruise 11/9/22 with Royal Caribbean Odyssey of the Seas. With the ongoing problems with flight cancellations I am concerned that we will not make it on time for the cruise. Surely RC should book flights to arrive day before ?  After all we are continually advised to do just that. 

My BA flights to Rome on the 12th June was on time, picking up a slight delay due European ATC, returning 11 days later from Barcelona we were on time. Waited just 10 minutes for baggage at T5 on arrival. I always book my flights separate from the cruise so I can book the flights I want. 

Hopefully things may of improved by September. Can you request an earlier flight?

• Thanks 1

You can ask them to book you a flight the day before.  My daughter is going on Odyssey end of July but they asked for flights two days before sailing and it was not a problem.  They booked their own accommodation in Rome.

3 hours ago, Babush said:

Surely RC should book flights to arrive day before ?  After all we are continually advised to do just that. 

Folks here may advise that, but the default for RCI is to fly the day of the cruise.

5 hours ago, Babush said:

If your flights are booked via RCI then they will get you to port. Or the next port. 

If booked independently then I’d change them… it’s 2hrs to Rome, and then at least an hour to port. Personally I’d be nervous! 

I flew EJ to Rome last week on the 0905. Flight arrived on time , took about 45 mins through immigration and baggage etc.  I think we’re in Civ by 1415.  We flew in the day before though. 

On the return we sat on the plane for an hour as there were no baggage handlers to load the luggage into the plane. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2022 at 12:29 PM, sgmn said:

My BA flights to Rome on the 12th June was on time, picking up a slight delay due European ATC, returning 11 days later from Barcelona we were on time. Waited just 10 minutes for baggage at T5 on arrival. I always book my flights separate from the cruise so I can book the flights I want. 

Hopefully things may of improved by September. Can you request an earlier flight?

I have requested earlier flights but this will be at my own expense. Will hold for now and see what RC decide to do

Thank you everyone for all your helpful tips. Much appreciated. This will be my second cruise so still very new to this. The uncertainty of post pandemic travel is proving a challenge. But the sea is calling me