St. Petersburg is out for 2023

Sox Fan Cruiser

5 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Without St Petersburg, we are looking doing the Baltic/Scandinavian itinerary again. Did St Petersburg and for us, once was more than enough. They’ve added some interesting Swedish ports, overnights in Stockholm and Copenhagen which we’d love. 

Tallinn was fantastic as was the sail in into Stockholm. 

den

What did you see in St. Petersburg?  City tour?  Hermitage museum?

We have spent a week in St Petersburg.   Wasn't enough.  The Hermitage is the .ost magnificent museum in the World with 8 locations all over St Petersburg.   The canals, churches and palaces of the Tsars could not all be seen in a month.  And, friendly people too.  Will miss it.

On the flip side, lots to see in Moscow but a different feeling of unease. Was never so glad to leave a place.

17 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

We have spent a week in St Petersburg.   Wasn't enough.  The Hermitage is the .ost magnificent museum in the World with 8 locations all over St Petersburg.   The canals, churches and palaces of the Tsars could not all be seen in a month.  And, friendly people too.  Will miss it.

On the flip side, lots to see in Moscow but a different feeling of unease. Was never so glad to leave a place.

🥸

What’s that?  8 locations?!  What is wrong with those people 😂.  I don’t have that much time!

I have seen St. Petersburg and Moscow.  Would go back to SP.  I do regret not going to the Hermitage.  Not crazy about Moscow.  Maybe because I was in Moscow at the Marriott hotel because I caught a cold on the train from SP to M.  Did see the city when I got better.

I like to joke that my Russian tour guides took all day to warm up and be friendly.  Because it’s true.

We all enjoy differing things. I had a private group tour set up in St Petersburg. Yes, wanted to see the Czarist palaces and the Hermitage, but also wanted to see other history. This is the site of major Revolutionary actions, one of the most devastating WWII battles/sieges, and history beyond the Czars. We visited palace after palace of Russian attempt to copy French and other Euro culture; a quick stop in a subway; and the Hermitage. 

But there is only so much gold and redesigned Amber and tasteless ornateness I can take. And as I stated once before and caused Huge reactions, the Hermitage has some of the most beautiful and famous art pieces, but most of the museum presentations were what I’d call 1950’s displays of lines and lines of poorly described, poorly presented artifacts. 

When we got off the ship, we were told to debark Right before the time to start tours so as not to congregate. Don’t make eye contact with the security people and don’t congregate in groups more than 4 or 5.

Highly knowledgable, cold, efficient guide who wouldn’t answer questions beyond the set pieces. When shopping we were followed as if we were there to steal. Cold stares replaced by a pasted on grin when spoke to. 

Yes, a 2-day tourist; a big city. But No Way of wandering on your own even in a set place (except Hermitage - 1hr on our own after touring). All controlled. I once spoke to a family group and the guide immediately stepped in and the family group nodded and stepped away. 

Beautiful city full of beautiful art and history beyond the Czars and I’m sure those that have gone there more, and have connections and more flexibility disagree, but I’d much rather spend time in pretty much Any other place. 

My very biased limited opinion, based on one 2-day experience I’ll not repeat even if reopened. 

Den

9 hours ago, letsgogogo said:

This is a selling point for me. I have always wanted to do a Scandinavian cruise on X but never booked as I refuse to visit Russia and I’m not up for wasting a port visit on a ship. 

Join us next August 21st, 2023 on Apex.