Cancel or just no show?

Earthworm Jim

My understanding is that if you need to cancel for a non-Covid reason within the 100% penalty time period (within 14 days of sailing date) you are better off just being a no show at the pier. That way your cabin mate won't be charged the single supplement.

But if you're a no show, do you get any kind of confirmation e-mail from Princess stating your loss? Because I assume you'd need that in order to file a travel insurance claim.

3 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

My understanding is that if you need to cancel for a non-Covid reason within the 100% penalty time period (within 14 days of sailing date) you are better off just being a no show at the pier. That way your cabin mate won't be charged the single supplement.

But if you're a no show, do you get any kind of confirmation e-mail from Princess stating your loss? Because I assume you'd need that in order to file a travel insurance claim.

I would be really careful with being a no show.  You should check with PCL on this. See what your options are.

Insurance wants all kinds of proof, so why don’t you call them?  

• Thanks 1

Pre-covid...a very long time ago....cruise mate and I did not have insurance for a very short cruise (first and last time I will go without insurance).  I tried to talk her into not showing up since she would going to lose fare anyway...She chose to cancel.  I had to scramble days before to rebook with a solo supplement.  

Post covid:  sisters had to cancel.  They cancelled 30 + days out, filled insurance claim, received everything back minus insurance.

Had they cancelled within the 30 days, they would have received Future Cruise Credit including insurance.  They did not want credit.

Thanks all. Sounds like my impression that being a no show is preferable is erroneous. Which is why I asked, because I didn't know if you'd get any confirmation of the loss from Princess. Unfortunately I have enough doubt that whoever takes my call at the Princess call center is actually right that calling them wouldn't totally reassure me.

It may not even come to this. Someone in my travel group has a possible medical issue, but won't know anything until biopsy results, which will be within 14 days of sailing. So depending on the results, and whether any immediate action is required, they may still be going.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Thanks all. Sounds like my impression that being a no show is preferable is erroneous. Which is why I asked, because I didn't know if you'd get any confirmation of the loss from Princess. Unfortunately I have enough doubt that whoever takes my call at the Princess call center is actually right that calling them wouldn't totally reassure me.

It may not even come to this. Someone in my travel group has a possible medical issue, but won't know anything until biopsy results, which will be within 14 days of sailing. So depending on the results, and whether any immediate action is required, they may still be going.

Best of luck to you all.  Hope you get to go.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Earthworm Jim said:

I cancelled within 4 days of sailing due to my partner having a medical problem. Called Princess and cancelled. Within a few minutes received a credit back to credit card for all taxes that had been paid.

We had Platinum Princess Cruise Protection so we got a note from the doctor which we used when we filed a claim with AON. Received the fare back in a checks/cheques in about 3 weeks from date of filing the claim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1