Passports In Port

I don't understand the people that won't take their passport off the ship with them because they are afraid they'll lose it. Do you take your camera off the ship? Your credit card? Your wallet/purse? If you are able to protect them so that they don't get lost/stolen, why can't you take the same precautions with your passport? I've been traveling for 40 years and I have my passport with me when I'm in a foreign country. In 40 years of travel, I have never had my passport lost or stolen.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I don't understand the people that won't take their passport off the ship with them because they are afraid they'll lose it. Do you take your camera off the ship? Your credit card? Your wallet/purse? If you are able to protect them so that they don't get lost/stolen, why can't you take the same precautions with your passport? I've been traveling for 40 years and I have my passport with me when I'm in a foreign country. In 40 years of travel, I have never had my passport lost or stolen.

In your 40 years of travel, how often have you HAD to use your passport while off the ship? 

Camera will get used. 

Credit Card will probably be used.

ID (DL) will be used.

Passport?  Hopefully not.  So what do you gain by carrying it?  And, of the above, what's more difficult to replace?  What would cause a bigger issue if it gets lost/stolen?  

In my opinion, the odds of NEEDING a passport while "out and about" (whether from a cruise ship or hotel) are infinitesimal. The odds of losing (whether stolen or not) the passport, while small, are still larger than needing it.  Therefore, for me, it stays in the safe.  This applies for cruises or hotel stays.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

Nope.  A passport is preferred, but you miss the ship or get hurt, you'll still get home....

As mentioned, if your passport is in your safe, the ship's agent will have it after the ship leaves. 

Worst case you'll have to explain to a CBP agent what happened.  I worked in the customs facility for several years at ORD, JFK and occasionally DFW.  You might get hit with a fine, but they still let you in after taking you to secondary inspection.

Yes I understand all that.  I was explaining to a poster that does Not have a passport and just uses his birth certificate and ID to cruise that a passport will be needed to fly home if for some reason he is left on an island.

I am sure it has happened for those that travel without owning a passport but I wouldn't want to deal with it.   Easy to get passport and good for 10yrs.

Edited by Sunshine3601

It depends what you are doing in port.  If we take a cruise ship excursion, we leave them in the safe.  If we do a private excursion, or just go out on our own, we take them in case of an emergency.   If you don't already have one,  I highly suggest getting a pouch that attaches to your belt and can be placed inside your shorts/pants...... in our case, my husbands!  We have one that is the size of passports and he carries them there along with some extra cash.

Amazon.com | Lewis N. Clark RFID Blocking Money Belt Travel Pouch + Credit Card, ID, Passport Holder for Women & Men, Black, One Size | Travel Wallets

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

In my opinion, the odds of NEEDING a passport while "out and about" (whether from a cruise ship or hotel) are infinitesimal.

Not infinitesimal, but I agree the odds of actually needing your passport off the ship are extremely small.  The odds that I'd get sick or injured on a cruise ship or in port and need to be "extracted" are also very small, but I still buy travel insurance and make sure it included pre-existing conditions. 

4 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Not infinitesimal, but I agree the odds of actually needing your passport off the ship are extremely small.  The odds that I'd get sick or injured on a cruise ship or in port and need to be "extracted" are also very small, but I still buy travel insurance and make sure it included pre-existing conditions. 

Funny that you didn't quote my next sentence... the odds of losing a passport, while small, are higher than needing the passport.  THATs my (and guessing others) concern about keeping the passport with them... the chance of losing it.  And sure, one can say "I'll never lose my passport."  Good for them.  The risk doesn't outweigh the reward IMO. 

1 minute ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Funny that you didn't quote my next sentence... the odds of losing a passport, while small, are higher than needing the passport.  THATs my (and guessing others) concern about keeping the passport with them... the chance of losing it.  And sure, one can say "I'll never lose my passport."  Good for them.  The risk doesn't outweigh the reward IMO. 

You are right - I did only partially quote you because I was talking about the odds of needing it.  Also, I had already mentioned in this thread how I personally just don't lose things.  My wife doesn't either (unless you count her misplacing one of her 18 pairs of reading glasses around the house).  

Really, I'm not trying to argue what you or anyone else should or should not do with regards to carrying a passport.  I just want to make sure that all points of view are covered so that others can make an informed decision that's best for them. 

Personally, I like the security of knowing I have my passport with me.  I am used to carrying it with me whenever I travel.  Case in point, back in 1999, I worked for a global IT company and was representing my division at a Y2K prep meeting in DC.  During the conference, I was invited to join a few others to speak at the European prep meeting later that week.  Having my passport with me, I was able to do that.  

15 hours ago, Garycruz said:

I’ll be taking my first cruise in four years and will be bringing my passport. I’m trying to remember if it’s necessary to bring the passport when we leave the ship in each port or if a copy will suffice which would allow us to leave the original in the safe. Surprised by the things one can forget. 

Depends on your port and excursion. In Alaska we had to have our passport because we crossed into Canada. In Jamaica they wanted us to have our passport to renter the port terminal. 
Other than that, it stays in the safe. 
Pay attention to whatever the compass, app, or your shore excursion advises

Enjoy your cruise 🙂

1 hour ago, SummerBeee said:

Depends on your port and excursion. In Alaska we had to have our passport because we crossed into Canada. In Jamaica they wanted us to have our passport to renter the port terminal. 
Other than that, it stays in the safe. 
Pay attention to whatever the compass, app, or your shore excursion advises

Enjoy your cruise 🙂

We've been to Jamaica a few times on cruises and never needed our passport to reenter the terminal

26 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

We've been to Jamaica a few times on cruises and never needed our passport to reenter the terminal

Just giving 1st hand experience. When we returned to the port an armed guard boarded the bus and walked down the aisle looking at our passport. This was January 2018 on Independence 

Rome last month, my husband and I (mid-fifties in tourist gear) got stopped by the Italian police and asked for our passports.  He took them from us, got in his car, plugged in our information, came back out 10 minutes later, handed them back to us and thanked us.  No idea why we were singled out amongst the many others around the area.  So it does happen sometimes.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DonnaPei said:

Rome last month, my husband and I (mid-fifties in tourist gear) got stopped by the Italian police and asked for our passports.  He took them from us, got in his car, plugged in our information, came back out 10 minutes later, handed them back to us and thanked us.  No idea why we were singled out amongst the many others around the area.  So it does happen sometimes.

In today's world, I think you have to be prepared for anything!

18 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Doesn't matter how far, you will need a passport to fly home from Bahamas, Mexico or any Caribbean island except St Thomas or San Juan.

Your seapass has your info loaded to permit you back onboard but sometimes port agents will ask to see your ID or passport before you approach the ship.

Another benefit is a passport can be used in lieu of Real ID that will be mandatory sometime in the future.

yes, fly. who said we had to fly.