Question about Windjammer Buffet

My husband has been ill recently, and I'm a bit concerned about him in the buffet.  Sometimes he is fine, but when he's tired /at the end of the day, he isn't so able to walk while carrying things.  Said differently, sometimes walking alone is enough for him.  I was thinking I'd get a tray and load up two plates and our drinks ... but now I see in You Tube videos that they don't have trays any more.  I see that they have a lot of things pre-portioned (which I think I'd like), but that means several little plates.  

What I'm thinking -- and this is where I'm open to ideas: 

- Don't say "Always eat in the MDR".  We like to mix it up between the two. 

- I'm thinking of bringing a small tote bag (which I will bring for the pool anyway), and I'll drop silverware and things like milk or yogurt into that bag for ease of carrying.  Would people think I'm a thief or something?  

- I'm thinking of bringing two large Yeti cups /filling them halfway, then dropping them into the tote bag -- they won't spill if they're only half full.  

- Or would it be totally weird to order room service /keep the tray for the week.  I'd feel kinda odd carrying a tray into the buffet, but if it's the most functional idea, I'll do it. 

Thoughts?  Thanks for any ideas you can share. 

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

• Mum2Mercury changed the title to Question about Windjammer Buffet
6 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

My husband has been ill recently, and I'm a bit concerned about him in the buffet.  Sometimes he is fine, but when he's tired /at the end of the day, he isn't so able to walk /carry things.  

What exactly is the question?

2 minutes ago, cowprintrabbit said:

Sounds like she's worried about being able to carry food for both of them without spending the entire meal running back and forth.

Exactly.  I can't believe they don't have trays in the Windjammer. 

The "FU" part of me really thinks bringing a tray of my own onboard (or snagging one from Room Service) would solve the whole problem.  

Just now, loman said:

Bring a tray from home with you and use it to carry your food back to the table

I'm really thinking that'll solve my problem.  I have a couple trays that would work fine.  

Unless someone has some brilliant idea that hasn't occurred to me, I think that's going to be the solution. 

THANKS. 

3 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm really thinking that'll solve my problem.  I have a couple trays that would work fine.  

Unless someone has some brilliant idea that hasn't occurred to me, I think that's going to be the solution. 

THANKS. 

You do whatever you gotta do to make your life easier .

Have a wonderful cruise.🙂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

THANKS. 

You could always custom paint a tray with your names and the sailing date? That would make it obvious it's not something to be cleared away.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, cowprintrabbit said:

You could always custom paint a tray with your names and the sailing date? That would make it obvious it's not something to be cleared away.

That's a nice idea.  I'm going to go through the things in my cabinet, and -- if I don't have anything appropriate -- I'm going to Home Goods this weekend.  I'm pretty sure BYOtray is the right choice.  

• Like 4

Ask any of the staff, especially the officers (the ones in white shirts), for help.  They will be more than happy to be of assistance.  Maybe you can arrange for help before you board by contacting special needs at Royal.  I'm not sure of the email address but someone else probably does.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With the BYOTray route, if anyone stops you, I bet it will be to ask where you got your tray (because they're also looking for one). You may be a trendsetter! I could see a tray being added to some blogger's "List of 40 must-have items to bring on your cruise!"

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

Wait? When did the get rid of the trays? I was on Adventure twice this spring. And we took trays every morning outside to eat on deck. 

edited to add: now you have me questioning if I used trays. I think I did….

Edited by BlueBayouAZ
  • Haha 3

I'm not so sure about being able to find the help when we need it, and I don't want to hang around waiting.  

I do suspect other people will want my tray!  (Notice that I've accepted it's the best route now?) 

I have no idea when they got rid of trays, but I've watched several passenger-made videos on You Tube, and I noticed that no one had trays.  I stopped the videos /looked at the ends of the buffet islands -- plates only.  

By the way, we'll be on Explorer.  If anyone has seen trays on Explorer recently, I'll be thrilled to be wrong. 

I have used the below to carry 4 drinks (and 2 plates) (kids). Personally, I wouldn't want to keep track of a tray (before/after meals), so would do the tote bag idea with these.  Can slip them around your wrist or clip them to your bag.

Screenshot_20220707-230126_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1e894c706bbe00fba97d323bb28b3653.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Ask any of the staff, especially the officers (the ones in white shirts), for help.  They will be more than happy to be of assistance.  Maybe you can arrange for help before you board by contacting special needs at Royal.  I'm not sure of the email address but someone else probably does.

Folks in white coats can help also

25 minutes ago, cruizzing said:

I have used the below to carry 4 drinks (and 2 plates) (kids). Personally, I wouldn't want to keep track of a tray (before/after meals), so would do the tote bag idea with these.  Can slip them around your wrist or clip them to your bag.

Screenshot_20220707-230126_Chrome.thumb.jpg.1e894c706bbe00fba97d323bb28b3653.jpg

These are also good, they have a shoulder strap. 

AUPET Water Bottle Bag Carrier,24oz/32oz Insulated Neoprene Bottle Sling Holder Case Pouch Cover for 1000ML/750ML Bottles with Shoulder Strap for Girls Boys Adults https://a.co/d/b3wirS5

B90B75BC-219F-4D50-8600-D9B3F901B4B4.thumb.png.604bb005f50e29a1ac766d4031186a04.png

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, BlueBayouAZ said:

Wait? When did the get rid of the trays? I was on Adventure twice this spring. And we took trays every morning outside to eat on deck. 

edited to add: now you have me questioning if I used trays. I think I did….

We have cruised for the last 25 years and I don’t remember ever seeing trays in the Windjammer, but I am certain I haven’t seen any in the last year.