Is the boarding time firm?

bettylou5

We are sailing on the Jewel this Sunday, leaving port at 5:00 pm. My DH and I are flying in the day before and staying in a hotel and had planned to head for the ship at around 11:30 am or so. My TA gave that advice and I have read from others that they do basically the same and yet...our docs indicate that we shouldn't arrive to board until 2 pm. What's the deal? :confused: Please let us know if that time is really a suggestion or if we'll be turned away. Thanks!

nope, you don't have to wait. My documents (Grandeur) told me my assigned boarding time was 2 pm but we got there at 12:35 and was on by 12:50. We had NO lines whatsoever, I'd hate to think how it was as the afternoon rolled around and everyone was trying to board by the 4 pm deadline.

Like anything else with RCI....about as firm as a jello mold.

I think RCI states 2 PM just to give themselves some breathing room in the event they have customs (or any other) issues with the previous passengers disembarking. In this way, if it takes longer than expected and the crowd gets grumpy, they can always say, "Hey, your documents told you NOT to get here before 2 PM. It's not our fault you arrived early."

Otherwise, we've always arrived between 11:00 and 12:00 and never had an issue. Generally we're onboard the ship, have had lunch in the Windjammer and explored the ship a little bit before they open the rooms up at 1 PM.

I think RCI states 2 PM just to give themselves some breathing room in the event they have customs (or any other) issues with the previous passengers disembarking. In this way, if it takes longer than expected and the crowd gets grumpy, they can always say, "Hey, your documents told you NOT to get here before 2 PM. It's not our fault you arrived early."

Otherwise, we've always arrived between 11:00 and 12:00 and never had an issue. Generally we're onboard the ship, have had lunch in the Windjammer and explored the ship a little bit before they open the rooms up at 1 PM.

You took the words right out of my mouth :D No complaining if you have to wait in the heat/cold/rain (without food), etc. until 2:00 PM ;)

###

Our first cruise we did what cruise docs said and when we got onboard there were literally hundreds of people already there. We were just disappointed that we had actually gone to get lunch so we didn't stand at the pier and wait for them to let us on. We drove from Sarasota to Miami and got there at noon. Waited around until 2 to head to the pier...never again. Get me onboard as soon as I can.

Keep in mind the pina coladas they are "serving" as you enter the windjammer are not welcome aboard drinks - regular foo foo charge.

Many people pick them up and then put them back when they ask for your blue seapass card.

Our January Voyager cruise boarded at 2PM. long lines of people who had been waiting around for hours. But this is probably the exception.

Yup! Same thing happened to us a year ago, got onboard about 1:15. Saturday is busy in Miami for RCI (2 Voyager class ships to clear) and, if there is a hitch, it will delay boarding for the next sailing.

I have boarding time at 2pm as well, but we got the transfer from the hotel to the ship from royal caribbean. Will they pick you up earlier if you want?

Kim

No. With their transfers, it will be a set time. If their transfer picks you up later than you want to head over, your alternative would be to grab a cab yourself.

Archived