Any feedback from those booked for the 22/23 Antarctic season?

BayGirl22

I'm looking at Antarctic cruises for late 2023/early 2024 and keep coming back to Atlas. The reviews are my main concern, mainly around preparation, communications, and embarkation/debarkation. I know they were a startup and have made some changes to the inclusions. The shift to fly from Buenos Aries instead of Orlando seems like it could simplify things, plus articles back in April about changes to back office org structure. 

Did anyone travel toward the end of the previous season and have feedback? Anyone booked for winter 2022 or 2023 that can update on how things are going along? Do you have clear communication on the flight itineraries now that its close to 160 days out? Better responsiveness to questions? 

I sailed as a guest speaker on the February 14 sailing to Antarctica. I had read CC trip reports of earlier sailings beforehand , some of which had difficulties no doubt. But I can think of no lingering problem or bad memory from trip at all!  My memories are of flight problems and airport problems. Those were not Atlas’ fault and those challenges continue even this summer. 

One thing I’ll add is to note the difference between an expedition cruise, which is what Antarctica is, and a more relaxed, “vacation “ like cruise. The experiences are quite different and it is wise to prepare your expectations. 

I’ve got great memories and great photos!  I hope you enjoy your trip as well. 

Thanks, that's good to hear. Most of the complaints I've heard are about the flights too. Now that they are planning to flan from BA instead of Orlando it seems like that might make things smoother. Hard to tell. 

I grew up boating and I did the Galapagos on a small boat so definitely understand the Expedition style. Totally different trip than a big ship cruise.  

7 minutes ago, BayGirl22 said:

Thanks, that's good to hear. Most of the complaints I've heard are about the flights too. Now that they are planning to flan from BA instead of Orlando it seems like that might make things smoother. Hard to tell.

It's funny, because when Atlas debuted they touted the Orlando flights as a big improvement over everybody else's flights from BA.  ⁉️

• Like 2

Yes, I've seen that. In theory they would be. IF it were a nice business class like experience with minimal waits. From all the reports I've read and watched it seems like the experience was not good. 
I'm coming from SF so there are faster ways to BA than waiting in Orlando. 

• 3 months later...
On 7/10/2022 at 4:06 PM, BayGirl22 said:

I'm looking at Antarctic cruises for late 2023/early 2024 and keep coming back to Atlas. The reviews are my main concern, mainly around preparation, communications, and embarkation/debarkation. I know they were a startup and have made some changes to the inclusions. The shift to fly from Buenos Aries instead of Orlando seems like it could simplify things, plus articles back in April about changes to back office org structure. 

Did anyone travel toward the end of the previous season and have feedback? Anyone booked for winter 2022 or 2023 that can update on how things are going along? Do you have clear communication on the flight itineraries now that its close to 160 days out? Better responsiveness to questions? 

I’m going on Feb 23 but a friend of mine went right after you did and she loved it, 

They have a new President since August and a whole new staff from Oceania and Crystal..this should be one great cruise line and right now the price is right to try it not only Antarctica but Europe..it is truly a 2 for 1 as long as you book before 12/31

I know I will be going..

Jancruz1

Edited by Jancruz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 11:24 AM, Jancruz said:

They have a new President since August and a whole new staff from Oceania and Crystal..this should be one great cruise line and right now the price is right to try it not only Antarctica but Europe..it is truly a 2 for 1 as long as you book before 12/31

I know I will be going..

Jancruz1

We agree with you and optimistically have two sailings booked. With such small ships we are looking forward to some new to us/interesting/different ports

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nancy and I (Gerry) have booked for Jan 14, 2024, for 9 day (10 with free hotel stay).  Did a lot of research over the last year, was convinced about safety and activities by a YouTube blog on an Atlas trip, and the low prices, to try them out.  Really looking forward to it.

On 7/14/2022 at 9:03 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

It's funny, because when Atlas debuted they touted the Orlando flights as a big improvement over everybody else's flights from BA.  ⁉️

Atlas discovered that a lot of folks wanted to spend some extra time in Argentina or wanted to choose their own level of service, so they changed the flight arrangements and lowered the fare.