Best place to stay post cruise to experience Texas

Tin can

Hi all

We are from the UK and planning a cruise from Galveston. We are looking to spend a few days post cruise somewhere near enough to fly home but also to experience Texas. We have visited previously a number of times New York and Chicago and Houston rightly or wrongly looks a similar urban city offering much of the same.

I know it will involve a flight but we were thinking therefore Dallas and Fort Worth might be good for 3-4 days to experience a bit of what Texas has to offer.

I would be grateful for any local views and having cruised a number of times now from New York we are very much looking forward to cruising with Texans! 

Skip Houston and join us up here in DFW area. Lots to see and do and we do have a rather nice airport for your return home 🙂

I've lived here all my 63 years and don't really have any "have to see/do" to recommend, but IMHO Houston is NOT a fair sample of Texas, just another crime-ridden metropolitan area.

31 minutes ago, GJustice said:

Skip Houston and join us up here in DFW area. Lots to see and do and we do have a rather nice airport for your return home 🙂

I've lived here all my 63 years and don't really have any "have to see/do" to recommend, but IMHO Houston is NOT a fair sample of Texas, just another crime-ridden metropolitan area.

I'm thinking the same to be honest, I've been doing some research and the Dallas farmers market looks interesting and the Stockyards at Fort Worth. 

I'm almost ashamed to say I also want to go and see South Fork Ranch as I was a big fan of the series 😀

As a life long Texan who has lived in the Houston area all my life, except for college years in Dallas, but that was over 50 years ago, I'd say it is absolutely impossible to experience Texas at any one location. That being said, I'd recommend the San Antonio-Austin area. Those are still big cities, but smaller than either Houston or DFW. If you are comfortable driving on the "wrong side of the road", rent a car and get out in the areas between the big metropolitan areas. And to the Dallas person above, you are delusional if you think there is less crime in Dallas than in Houston. 😲

• Like 2

Galveston ISLAND is a tourist destination with 32 miles of beach . With all the Texas , wild west , Cowboys and Indian history you would want . 
galvestonhistory.org

visitgalveston.com

galveston.con

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tin can said:

I'm almost ashamed to say I also want to go and see South Fork Ranch as I was a big fan of the series 😀

No shame for that, in fact, news today - https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/dallas-tv-series-southfork-ranch-the-famed-ranch-where-dallas-was-filmed-has-new-management/287-e58e53d8-2223-4fff-af66-05a98b34071d

@Texas Tillie...you are delusional if you think there is less crime in Dallas than in Houston. 😲 The FBI tends to disagree with your position.

image.png.6e469ab2b61d4f5aa5a78c41bebb99b8.png

Edited by GJustice

My ideas listed below are based from hosting my sister-in-law and her family visiting from Amsterdam several years ago for their first "Texas Experience" ranging from outer space, to the Mexican heritage and cowboy way of life.

Pre Cruise:

An option is arriving a couple of days early and explore the Space Center Houston and area before the cruise.

Post cruise:

Day 1:

Go to San Antonio (4 hour drive) for an overnight and visit the Riverwalk at night and eat some Tex-Mex food.

Day 2:

Go to Fort Worth (4.5 hour drive) to visit the Stockyards, watch a Rodeo, and end the day at a Texas Honky Tonk. On the drive to Fort Worth stop at Buc-ee's in New Braunsfels.

Day 3:

Go to South Fork Ranch (1.25 hour drive). Afterwards depending on the time of the year the State Fair of Texas (SEPTEMBER 30 – OCTOBER 23, 2022) might be an option otherwise a Dallas guided tour.

Of course make sure to eat some good Texas BBQ before going home.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2022 at 8:28 AM, rbdavis3951 said:

My ideas listed below are based from hosting my sister-in-law and her family visiting from Amsterdam several years ago for their first "Texas Experience" ranging from outer space, to the Mexican heritage and cowboy way of life.

Pre Cruise:

An option is arriving a couple of days early and explore the Space Center Houston and area before the cruise.

Post cruise:

Day 1:

Go to San Antonio (4 hour drive) for an overnight and visit the Riverwalk at night and eat some Tex-Mex food.

Day 2:

Go to Fort Worth (4.5 hour drive) to visit the Stockyards, watch a Rodeo, and end the day at a Texas Honky Tonk. On the drive to Fort Worth stop at Buc-ee's in New Braunsfels.

Day 3:

Go to South Fork Ranch (1.25 hour drive). Afterwards depending on the time of the year the State Fair of Texas (SEPTEMBER 30 – OCTOBER 23, 2022) might be an option otherwise a Dallas guided tour.

Of course make sure to eat some good Texas BBQ before going home.

If you are really interested in Texas, Western and the Southwestern Experience,

I suggest the following in addition to San Antonio and Ft Worth. 

1. Explore the Island of Galveston first !                                There is so much history , and you are already on the island. .

2. The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is a  month long annual Western heritage event,  and is generally the largest FESTIVAL on the North American Continent.

The Rodeo promotes agriculture by hosting an annual, family-friendly experience that educates and entertains the public, supports Texas youth,  and provides year-round educational support within the community. Since its beginning in 1932, the Rodeo has committed more than $550 million to the youth of Texas and education.

The Rodeo welcomed  2.4+ million guests for its 90th anniversary in 2022, with action-packed RODEOHOUSTON® competitions, more than  34,000 livestock and horse show entries, a historic $1 million steer auction purchase, a diverse lineup of star entertainers including George Strait and others, and is a family-friendly experience for everyone.

The rodeo 35,000 volunteers, donors, sponsors, community partners and guests who support our charitable mission of supporting Texas youth and education are the greatest.

Scholarships and Education:

The Rodeo committed $22,125,250 to the youth of Texas in 2022:

• $14,186,000 million in scholarships  awarded this summer;
    • $5,048,250 million to junior show exhibitors;
    • $2,418,610 million in educational program grants; and
    • $472,390 in graduate assistantships.

Rodeo Performers and Contestants:

The Rodeo committed $2.14 million in Prize Money to its contestants.

3. The Bryan Museum on Galveston Island

The Museum opened in 2015 and located in the historic Galveston Orphans Home[1] in Galveston, Texas,    USA, houses The Bryan Collection, one of the world's largest collections of historical artifacts, documents, and artwork relating to Texas and the American West. Assembled by J.P. and Mary Jon Bryan, the collection spans more than 12,000 years, with pieces ranging from ancient Native American cultural artifacts to modern twenty-first century objects.

With approximately 70,000 items in total, the collection includes 20,000 rare books; more than 30,000 documents in Spanish, German, French, and English; three dozen saddles; over 250 antique firearms; several hundred spurs; a large collection of fine Southwestern art, religious art, folk art, and portraits; exceedingly rare maps and artifacts, such as "cowboy" chaps; Native American stone tools and arrowheads; and a Spanish mission bell.

The Bryan Museum presents a chronological history of Texas and the American West with a special emphasis on the Spanish influences in the region. In addition to its permanent galleries, the Museum also includes space for rotating special exhibits, a library, and an archive.

4. Space Center Houston (NASA) ( half way between Galveston island and Houston ) 

Edited by ssb
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 4:08 AM, Tin can said:

Hi all

We are from the UK and planning a cruise from Galveston. We are looking to spend a few days post cruise somewhere near enough to fly home but also to experience Texas. We have visited previously a number of times New York and Chicago and Houston rightly or wrongly looks a similar urban city offering much of the same.

I know it will involve a flight but we were thinking therefore Dallas and Fort Worth might be good for 3-4 days to experience a bit of what Texas has to offer.

I would be grateful for any local views and having cruised a number of times now from New York we are very much looking forward to cruising with Texans! 

Since you are willing to drive.  I would suggest San Antonio.  I think you would enjoy it much more than DFW,    Dallas is going to have much more of the Houston feel you don't want.   

San Antonio is rich with all sorts of history and will give you much more of the experience you sound like you want.  With 3-4 days you can explore the Texas Hill country as well.

Edited by Kevin308
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 8:17 AM, Texas Tillie said:

As a life long Texan who has lived in the Houston area all my life, except for college years in Dallas, but that was over 50 years ago, I'd say it is absolutely impossible to experience Texas at any one location. That being said, I'd recommend the San Antonio-Austin area. Those are still big cities, but smaller than either Houston or DFW. If you are comfortable driving on the "wrong side of the road", rent a car and get out in the areas between the big metropolitan areas. And to the Dallas person above, you are delusional if you think there is less crime in Dallas than in Houston. 😲

100% I grew up between both the Houston and Dallas area and consider both home.  But I will take San Antonio ever single time.  In his case what he doesn't like about Houston is the same thing he is going to get in Dallas.  I know DFW has that international rec and so I understand.  Why Dallas came to his mind.  But San Antonio I would take 100 times.  Like you said Austin is a short drive.  You have the Texas Hill country as well.  If he doesn't want just another big Urban city San Antonio is the right place

All that said if I was going out of Texas during the Houston Livestock show and Rodeo I would not miss it.

Edited by Kevin308
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your very helpful replies it is appreciated.

I really do fancy a trip that includes San Antonio and Stockyard and maybe a couple of other recommendations and I think that would be a great few days.

I just need to conquer my fear now of left hand driving and tacking large American freeways!

8 hours ago, Tin can said:

I really do fancy a trip that includes San Antonio and Stockyard and maybe a couple of other recommendations and I think that would be a great few days.

I just need to conquer my fear now of left hand driving and tacking large American freeways!

What time of year is your trip?

On 7/15/2022 at 3:34 PM, ssb said:

1. Explore the Island of Galveston first !                                There is so much history , and you are already on the island. .

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is a  month long annual Western heritage event,  and is generally the largest FESTIVAL on the North American Continent.

The Rodeo promotes agriculture by hosting an annual, family-friendly experience that educates and entertains the public, supports Texas youth,  and provides year-round educational support within the community. Since its beginning in 1932, the Rodeo has committed more than $550 million to the youth of Texas and education.

The Rodeo welcomed  2.4+ million guests for its 90th anniversary in 2022, with action-packed RODEOHOUSTON® competitions, more than  34,000 livestock and horse show entries, a historic $1 million steer auction purchase, a diverse lineup of star entertainers including George Strait and others, and is a family-friendly experience for everyone.

The rodeo 35,000 volunteers, donors, sponsors, community partners and guests who support our charitable mission of supporting Texas youth and education are the greatest.

The Museum opened in 2015 and located in the historic Galveston Orphans Home[1] in Galveston, Texas,    USA, houses The Bryan Collection, one of the world's largest collections of historical artifacts, documents, and artwork relating to Texas and the American West. Assembled by J.P. and Mary Jon Bryan, the collection spans more than 12,000 years, with pieces ranging from ancient Native American cultural artifacts to modern twenty-first century objects.

With approximately 70,000 items in total, the collection includes 20,000 rare books; more than 30,000 documents in Spanish, German, French, and English; three dozen saddles; over 250 antique firearms; several hundred spurs; a large collection of fine Southwestern art, religious art, folk art, and portraits; exceedingly rare maps and artifacts, such as "cowboy" chaps; Native American stone tools and arrowheads; and a Spanish mission bell.

The Bryan Museum presents a chronological history of Texas and the American West with a special emphasis on the Spanish influences in the region. In addition to its permanent galleries, the Museum also includes space for rotating special exhibits, a library, and an archive.

4. Space Center Houston (NASA) ( half way between Galveston island and Houston ) 

The Houston Live Stock show and Rodeo is a must if you have never been.  If you go just remember to get your tickets early  it will sell out.

On 7/13/2022 at 8:17 AM, Texas Tillie said:

I totally agree. Lifelong Texan as well. Dallas to me is not Texas. Ft Worth Stockyards? Absolutely! Dallas proper? not so much. Austin is the capital and of course the University of Texas and Franklin’s BBQ? Sixth street for Texas Blues. Then stop at Gruene on yours way to san Antonio or vice versa. The oldest dance hall in texas is Gruene Hall. Charming little area and the Gristmill restaurant is amazing right in the river. Stop at Bucees- the largest convenient store in Texas is right at the exit. And then San Antonio with the Alamo, the Riverwalk, the Pearl…. that area is Texas for sure 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 3:34 PM, ssb said:

visitgalveston.com

galvestonhistory.com

galveston.com

pier21.com

moodygardens.com

Galveston soon will homeport Carnival , Royal Caribbean, and Norwegian cruise lines largest ships in their fleets and in world .  

On 7/19/2022 at 4:00 AM, Tin can said:

Now if you are adventurous you could look at driving down to the King Ranch for a ranch tour.  Or the  Yo Ranch Headquarters if you are into that type of thing.   But if you are really adventurous and want to do something really different.  You could go to Big Bend National Park.  It is a long drive and very remote.  But it is a great trip.  If you are into that type of thing.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 6:18 PM, Kevin308 said:

What time of year is your trip?

Beginning of April, looks like we just miss the rodeos.

Edited by Tin can

6 hours ago, Tin can said:

Beginning of April, looks like we just miss the rodeos.

I'm from Boston but spent two years in Texas. April is absolutely beautiful in Texas. The wildflowers in the spring are amazing, particularly in the Hill Country. I think you could easily do the Hill Country, San Antonio, and Austin (or at least get a taste of each). 

The Bullock Museum in Austin is well work a visit. I haven't been, but I have heard great things about the Japanese Tea Gardens in San Antonio. I really like Canyon Lake outside of San Antonio as well.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 4:00 AM, Tin can said:

Speaking as someone who grew up in Fort Worth with relatives in San Antonio, my recommendation would be to not limit yourself to the major freeways when planning driving routes. Highway 281 is my preferred pathway between Fort Worth and San Antonio, and I generally find it a more pleasant experience than driving on Interstate 35, though I have friends who would disagree with me. I generally find that there's less traffic on the smaller roads like 281 than there is on 35, and the route is more scenic overall. The downside is that there are fewer lanes (oftentimes just one lane in each direction, so if you get stuck behind a slower driver, you may have to wait awhile to get to the next area with a passing lane) and you'll encounter traffic lights and significant variations in the speed limit as you pass through the various small towns along the way. Ultimately the choice comes down to your preferences and what you're most comfortable with; I just wanted to throw it out there as an option.

• Like 1