First Cruise with / Air

lawsoncd3

Hi everyone:

We're booked on RCCL for a cruise to the Carribean in Oct. I also booked my air fare package with it.

My question: has anyone used RCCL sea/air package before? What are your thoughts, stories, suggestions?

Thanks to all :)

Dona

Have never used the cruiselines air because I have always heard horror stories! :eek: With that said, most people will tell you to book the air with the cruiseline, then start looking on your own. If you find a cheaper rate you have until final payment to cancell the cruiselines air which is usually higher. If you use your own air the cruisline has no commmitment to wait for you if you are delayed. If you book your own air fly in the day before...:)

janetz is corrrect. At the beginning of my cruising, I used the cruise line air, but quickly learned that, although you paid more for their air, they got you to the ship on time, but they used the cheapest flights on the return home. Sometimes, I would not be leaving untill late evening, even though there were afternoon flights

Hi, Lawsoncd3, and, in answer to your question, I feel sure lots of people have used RCCL air and that some of them are cruise critics! We've used it twice and have been happy both times. The first time, we paid extra to be sure we got a nonstop flight from our nearest airport to London. I have no idea what flight or flights RCCL MIGHT have put us on, but, for the extra $75 or whatever it was, they let us choose our flight and it worked out quite well (as might be expected, I guess). The second time we took what RCCL provided (from east to west coast and back). As the ship headed back toward LA, they announced that, due to mechanical problems slowing us down, we would be quite late disembarking. While those who had arranged their own air frantically tried to change their air arrangements, RCCL made the arrangements for us (and everyone else who had bought RCCL air). The alternate arrangements were just fine. Bottom line: I feel sure you can find horror tales, but our very limited experience has been good.

Cheers/Good luck,

UNCle Don

I see you are traveling on Rhapsody (excellent ship BTW) from Galveston. I live about an hour from Galveston so my first question has to be - Have you ever been to Houston? One of the main complaints I see posted on the boards from people who don't live around here is how far it is from the airport to the pier. They don't realize the expense of transfers when they book their trip. There is Bush airport on the north side which is about 1.5 hours in good traffic to the port. There is also Hobby airport on the south side which is about 45 minutes from the port. Galveston does not offer commercial flight service. There are shuttles, limos, and even some one-way car rentals to get around, but the cost ends up adding anywhere from $100 to $200 to your expenses.

If you are arriving a day or two ahead (Galveston does offer many things to see and do), I would recommend booking your own air and renting a car. Drive to Galveston and enjoy yourselves. Check out Moody Gardens, walk The Strand, eat at Fisherman's Wharf or Gaido's (if you like seafood). The water here is disappointed (lovely shade of opaque gray) compared to the Caribbean so plan your swimming at your port stops.

If you can't fly in until the day you leave, look at the price of air from RC. Remember that transfer to the port is included in their price so if it's less than $100 pp more than you can book it independantly, you got a reasonable price. If you decide to book on your own, do not get a flight that arrives later than noon. Traffic is so unpredicatable that I wouldn't chance missing your ship.

I had a bad experience booking RC air my first time (Houston to San Juan, 2 layovers, left Houston 6:45 AM, arrived in SJ 7:15 PM and that was with no delays or missed flights although it was close in Miami since they only gave us 45 minutes to get from one terminal to another). I booked custom air last time and got the flights I wanted but had to pay the extra $$. I tried calling the airline a couple months before the cruise to get my seating assignments and found out that RC forgot to book my custom air. If you use the custom air make sure you follow up with them.

I haven't used rccl, but I have used Celebrity (they are owned by the same company, but don't know if they use the same air for reservations). Anyway, twice we used their air (Alaska and the Med) and couldn't find the prices any cheaper. When we left out of Baltimore for Canada, booked our own flights and paid for the 4 of us less than what they wanted for one. We did go in the night before, so that did incur a small costs as well as for transfers. The only bad flight we had was coming home from Venice, but it wasn't Celebrities fault that the carrier (a charter) had mechanical problems.

I would like to thank you all for your responses. I'm a bit nervous about the air/cruise package. I'm not concerned about the air trip home. We have taken an extra couple of days off to get back on our schedule here in Vegas anyway. I'm more concerned about getting to the ship on time. When I booked the air through RCCL, I was given the opportunity to stay at a hotel for one night. I'm assuming that's for a day early arrival... ?

I appreciate the honesty and the stories you have all shared. Before I make the final payment, I'll be calling RCCL to get all those questions answered.

Thanks again and have fun on your cruises...

Waiting patiently,

Dona

Dona, Yes, the hotel package is for coming in a day early. You do not hve to pay the custom air/deviation fee if you do this, but be aware the package is priced per person, not per room.

Do look at booking your own air/transfers/hotel and compare to the cruiseline price. Very convenient to just let the cruiseline do it all, but usually more choice in doing it yourself. Air within the US is usually cheaper on your own. But do factor in the transportation costs as mentioned above.

My advice--If you are going to worry over the flight times, seat assignments and other details, then just book it yourself.

I wish I had these message boards sooner! :eek: We just paid our final payment. We are doing the air/sea package out of SD. After seeing the flights going out, most involve 4 hour layovers. I found one PERFECT flight, what are the chances I'll get on it? Is there a way to steer Carnival into booking that flight for us, even if it means paying more or do you think I am SOL? :rolleyes:

Angela, you, or your TA if you have one, should call the Carnival Air/Sea dept and ask what the deviation fee would be to take those specific flights you found with the perfect connections. The earlier you call the better, as you also have to pay the increased flight cost if there is one. The deviation fee itself is $50 per person, and you only have until 45 days before sailing to make this type of request. You are not SOL, but it might cost a little or a lot more.

I would like to thank you all for your responses. I'm a bit nervous about the air/cruise package. I'm not concerned about the air trip home. We have taken an extra couple of days off to get back on our schedule here in Vegas anyway. I'm more concerned about getting to the ship on time. When I booked the air through RCCL, I was given the opportunity to stay at a hotel for one night. I'm assuming that's for a day early arrival... ?

I appreciate the honesty and the stories you have all shared. Before I make the final payment, I'll be calling RCCL to get all those questions answered.

Thanks again and have fun on your cruises...

Waiting patiently,

Dona

From Las Vegas you should be able to book your own as easily as using the cruise lines. Just go a day ahead and schedule a late afternoon return. You have a three hour time difference with the east coast so leaving at five or so will still get you home by eightish.

I bet you can beat the cruise lines fare on Southwest anyway.

Archived