Shuttle in Tallinn, Estonia

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from the cruise port to the Upper Old Town, in Tallinn, Estonia? 

And from the Lower Old Town back to the cruise port. We are hoping to get dropped off in the upper and walk down to the lower town.

I know people have said that it's only about a 25 minute walk, but I'm a senior with bad legs so I want to save my walking for in the old town.

Any help would be appreciated! 🙂

2 hours ago, Moose12345 said:

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from the cruise port to the Upper Old Town, in Tallinn, Estonia? 

And from the Lower Old Town back to the cruise port. We are hoping to get dropped off in the upper and walk down to the lower town.

I know people have said that it's only about a 25 minute walk, but I'm a senior with bad legs so I want to save my walking for in the old town.

Any help would be appreciated! 🙂

Thank you for asking this question.  I read there is a shuttle to the viru gate.  However, we want to start at the top and walk down.  I do not think DH and I would make the climb.  

24 minutes ago, AdventureKenandCar said:

There is a shuttle bus, for around 10 euros round-trip, that goes from the port to a park just north of the Viru Gate. 

I had read that.  However, that is in lower town, isn't it"? We would like to start high and make our way to the lower level. I have developed a knee issue and lots of stairs are not my friend.  

From what I recall, shuttle bus was provided by the port authority and was rather expensive (if it is indeed 10 euro roundtrip then it is not that bad since it comes all the way to cruise berth gate)

Rideshare apps (Uber, Bolt) provide much cheaper and flexible option. They can come only up to the tollbooth gate which is about 200m towards city.

From there to Fat Margaret Tower was 3 euro (Uber)

On return, from Viru gate to port was 4 euro. (Bolt)

You can certainly take Rideshare to Upper town (should be around 5-6 euro - local taxi will ask 20-25 euro) to be dropped in front of the parliament/Russian cathedral.  Kiek in de Kok tower is nearby.  Walk to two viewpoints (highly recommended) is quite flat. 

Then you can take pikk street (very gradual slop) down to the main square and after spending time there, walk out of old town near viru gate from which you can uber/bolt back to the ship. 

Edited by hal2008
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hal2008 said:

From what I recall, shuttle bus was provided by the port authority and was rather expensive (if it is indeed 10 euro roundtrip then it is not that bad since it comes all the way to cruise berth gate)

Rideshare apps (Uber, Bolt) provide much cheaper and flexible option. They can come only up to the tollbooth gate which is about 200m towards city.

From there to Fat Margaret Tower was 3 euro (Uber)

On return, from Viru gate to port was 4 euro. (Bolt)

You can certainly take Rideshare to Upper town (should be around 5-6 euro - local taxi will ask 20-25 euro) to be dropped in front of the parliament/Russian cathedral.  Kiek in de Kok tower is nearby.  Walk to two viewpoints (highly recommended) is quite flat. 

Then you can take pikk street (very gradual slop) down to the main square and after spending time there, walk out of old town near viru gate from which you can uber/bolt back to the ship. 

That sounds like a plan--thank you!

When you're there you'll realise why there are no shuttlebuses to the upper part of old town😉

The idea of transport to the top of old town then walking down is very sound, but it needs a taxi or small van - Hal2008's RideShare makes sense.

From the cruise berths the nearest part of old town, a tower with the unflattering name of Fat Margaret, is only a 15-minute level walk, then a gentle 10 minute stroll to the centre of the old part.

The upper part of old town is only about 10 minutes beyond, but that can't be described as a "gentle stroll". 😮 😄

JB 🙂