What Cruise Company?

tapia

I'm going to try and plan my next vacation for Alaska.

I have done a lot of reading on the Princess Cruise lines since they offer a

land tour portion in advance of the cruise as well.

I'm VERY open at this point in which cruise line to take as well as which

specific cruise/tour to sign up for.

Does anyone have ideas for me?

Which ones do you think are the best?

Thank you!

I booked our first Alaska cruise just a couple months ago. I read up on all of them. When I asked for advice, the one thing everyone seemed to agree on is go to Glacier Bay if at all possible. Princess and HAL visit Glacier Bay the most so I stayed focused them, looked at ships and schedules. I ended up with Princess.

For the pre or post cruise land tours in Alaska, HAL and Princess have more to offer than the others. Princess has exceptionally nice lodges in Kenai and Talkeetna, and their sky dome rail cars on the trip from Anchorage to Fairbanks are first class. Princess is first choice with HAL a close second. Be sure to take the helicopter shore tour in Juneau to the Mendenhall Glacier, its worth every penny.

As mentioned, for pre and post cruises Princess and HAL do have the most extensive tours followed by Celebrity. I would recommend starting with these three cruise lines as I'm sure you can find a cruise and land tour that meets your need from one of them.

In terms of the actual cruise experience I prefer Celebrity, followed by Princess followed by Holland but that is for the cruise only portion.

Keith

Wow, THANK YOU for the information. I think I'm going to stay with Princess then.

There are so many land tours to choose from though. Does anyone recommend specific places to see?

I think HAL has a great one way sailing with Glacier Bay, College fjords and Seward. Kenai Fjords and Denali Park are my top must do recommendations. :)

I will also offer the advice to also look at independent touring in interior Alaska, extremely simple, you can even "copy" a cruisetour, but way superior in the options of all the small stuff that is Alaska.

If you go with a cruise tour, BE VERY VERY informed on what you are purchasing, most people are not, there have been a few posts in the last few weeks as examples. Factor in all transit time, Alaska is vast, you may not realize if you take the Princess train "direct" to Denali Park you are 10 hours on a train!!! Key highlight is Denali Park, never get the Natural History tour, a complete waste of time, the only other option is the tundra wilderness tour. But Alaska veterans will only recommend Fish Creek as a min. via the Park shuttle buses. :)

Time is necessary, 3-4 day cruisetours are usually a poor choice, no time for anything but long bus/train rides.

If independent is an option there is plenty of help on this board, with NO ONE ever coming back to post- they wished they had gone on a tour. :) http://www.toursaver.com can offer significant savings.

Do your homework and make informed choices that are best for your touring. The more you know the better. :)

I will definately check out HAL now. I'll probably stay between Princess and HAL in the end....

I have about 1 week of time to do a tour before the cruise. I would say I'm a little nervous about doing the entire thing independantly simply because I don't have the time to look into lodging and travel between each area with everything else I want to look at. I would probably say that it would be too much for me to do (even though I have more than a year at this point). I absolutely will do independant tours while on the cruise/land tour, but I just can't possibly see booking everything on my own.

Kenai and Denali took my attention from the princess books first. So, I'm glad you just confirmed what I thought to begin with. They look quite interesting and I will look at hitting them both. You are right, I had NO idea that travel time to Denali was 10 hours! Wow!!!!!!

Would you recommend just going to Denali and Kenai for the week?

I suppose independent would be an option if it wouldn't be too complicated and too much travel.

I will definately take a look at that website.

I would say I'm a little nervous about doing the entire thing independantly simply because I don't have the time to look into lodging and travel between each area with everything else I want to look at. I would probably say that it would be too much for me to do.

I suppose independent would be an option if it wouldn't be too complicated and too much travel. quote]

It's a bunch of travel whether you book it or they do. But I can read into your hesitation. You want to relax with the knowledge that someone has planned it all for you. I will not try to beg you to reconsider, but these boards could help.

For clairfication the Princess "Kenai" reference is not what I am referring to. For them it is there lodge in fishing rich Cooper Landing. I highly recommend a Kenai Fjords boat tour out of Seward, about an hour away from the Princess lodge. You need 6 hours on the water.

If of interest- there is plenty of help for planning on this board. It is simple to plan Alaska touring if you are interested in those two areas. As an example, for a Southbound cruise, arrive in Anchorage, overnight, rent a car, head to Talkeetna, overnight, Denali Park 2 nightp Park Shuttle bus to Fish Creek, other activities of interest http://www.nps.gov/dena back to Anchorage, turn in rental car, one way train Anchorage to Seward, Kenai fjords boat trip , over night, other activities, board ship. If sailing out of Whittier, there is shuttle service available. Reverse for northbound sailings.

You can use cruisetours as a guide for your planning. With the above you essentially are renting a car and making lodging arrangements, booking tours. You need to do similar homework even if you do go with a cruisetour. As another independent selling point there is http://www.toursaver.com :) So think about it perhaps???

I definately will think about it.

That actually sounds fabulous.

I'd like to fly into Anchorage (I guess there's no choice otherwise on where to fly to). Then, I guess rent a car for 2 nights in Denali with various activities.

How far is Anchorage to Denali?

How far is Seward to Anchorage (by train). Also, how for is Seward to Whitter? And what type of shuttle service?

How much do you think something like that would run?

You really know a lot and I THANK YOU so much for your help!!!!!!!

Anchorage to Denali Park 240 miles, one lane road most of the way, easy driving, plenty of pull offs and little stuff along the way. Head to your library and get a copy of THE MILEPOST, read Parks Highway and Glenn Highway Anchorage to Palmer. Gives an idea.

Train Anchorage to Seward leaves around 7am and takes a little over 4 hours, 125 miles, superior scenery compared to the wonderful Seward Highway. PJ's taxi is one option for the transfer Whittier/Seward located in Seward listings http://www.sewardak.com

If you want to consider some B&B's you can usually get them in the $100/night range. Rental car rates are all over the board, you need to compare and keep checking. You will want an open jaw "multi city" air arrangement, not 2 one way tickets. Sometimes Seattle is significantly cheaper than Vancouver. With an extra night, it's an easy transfer to Vancouver. http://www.toursaver.com can offer significant savings on tours, sometimes lodging.

A few months ago, I knew nothing about Alaska. It seemed like a daunting task to arrange a family vacationthere. Between studying and searching these boards, a couple of Alaska travel books, and sending away for info (websites found on these boards), I have managed to steer my way around.

We are flying into Anchorage and spending a week in the Kenai Peninsula. We wanted to just see one area at a time instead of doing a whirlwind tour of half the state. Hopefully, we'll get to return and see some different parts of the state.

As our ship leaves from Whittier, we rented 3 cars (there's 11 people in our family group) from Harley's because they have the best rates on one-way rentals. After 5 days there is no drop-off fee.

We decided on the Carnival Spirit for several reasons. One is that my husband gets military discount- one doesn't have to be retired or serving active duty to get this discount. My husband was in the Marine Corps in Nam and he qualifies. Yeah Carnival!! We also didn't want to bankrupt ourselves to go on a cruise. We are going in prime season- July- have a 7A balcony rooms- and are still averaging a little under $1000 per person to cruise. we have been on several cruises with Carnival and have been very happy with them. We are casual people and don't want all the fuss and formality of some of the other cruise lines.

In Vancouver we are staying at the Weston Bayshore- us and half the population of Alaskan cruisers- it seems. That is through Priceline.

So between Priceline, Carnival, Toursavers, and other moneysaving tips- we aren't breaking the bank and are intending to have many wonderful memories.

Like like any vacation, the more footwork that is put in beforehand to become more knowledgable about where you are traveling to- the better off you are. Thanks Budget Queen for all your input. Helped bunches.

Don't forget to book excursions early, as they book up quickly. And I found out about who is recommended on this board, too.

Wow! Thank you so much for all the advice.

@kaylahszoo: Why did you decide to go to the Kenai Peninsula??

Wow, I CANNOT believe you are going for less than $1000 each. I'm thinking that's impossible at this point, just with the cruise alone.....wow

I'm going to really try and do some research. I don't want to 'break my bank' either, but I really want to see what I can with Alaska. It's hear it's beautiful and I can't wait to see for myself!

Is it possible to fly directly into Denali?? I'm trying to check it out for myself, but I don't see anything.....

At this point, I'm also trying to see the difference between going independent instead of on a princess land tour.

There is a land tour they offer that goes to Denali and Copper River for 2 nights each. But, it doesn't go to Seward. What about Copper River? How is that? (This is tour 18S (I'm on a 2004 brochure though)

if it's of any help, we've planned the trip in the other direction - 7 days Princess Sapphire from Vancouver to Whittier. We're then taking an independent transfer (Leopard Comedy Tour) to Anchorage for the afternoon and night (Hilton on points). We're driving Sun (Avis RAC) to Denali and staying at the Lakeview Inn outside of Denali Park. Mon full day in the park. Tues drive from Denali to Kenai Peninsula and the Kenai Princess Lodge (Toursaver book 2 for 1). Fishing Wed afternoon, Thurs R & R in Kenai area, then drive to Anchorage (Sheraton on Priceline) in the evening (thank goodness for many hours of daylight) and home to LA Fri morning.

tapia: We're going to go to the Kenai Peninsula because my husband has "fishing fever." By just reading the boards, it sounded like a beautiful place. We actually were going to go from Seward to Cooper Landing to Homer and then on to the cruise, but we decided to stay put for the better part of the week.

The $1000 is only for the cruise- it is going to cost us another $1200 or so each for the airfare, the excursions we've booked, the 3 rental cars, trip insurance, the toursaver books, the hotels and the cabin. Still quite a good deal, though.

The toursaver books are the best. It cost us $600 for 6 books (there were originally 12 of us going and you need one for every 2 people) anyway, just going to the Princess kenai Lodge gets us our money back-plus. All the other excursions we booked- the Yukon Discovery tour in Skagway, the Resurrection Bay tour in Seward are all bonus- like found money!! It's buy one, get one free.

We even have some leftover money for Costco. we're going to stock up on meat, etc there. Then hit the grocery store. Last time we did this in Hawaii- we rented only 2 cars for the 12 of us. The husbands were so pissed because with all the stuff we bought- they had to buy rope and tie the luggage on the roof. Got an extra car this time!!

Wow, I CANNOT believe you are going for less than $1000 each. I'm thinking that's impossible at this point, just with the cruise alone.....wow

You are probably right "at this point" but the last 3 years, I have cruised Alaska on Princess for under $400 per person with last minute specials.

@bdwyer: That sounds absolutely fantastic. Out of pure curiosity: I thought it would be better to do the tour first and then do the cruise because the cruise would be more relaxing..... Why did you choose to do the cruise first?

The Kenai (princess Kenai) looks gorgeous. But, I think I'd rather go to Seward (thanks to Budget Queen convincing me) and going on that 6-hour on the water trip as well as doing some other things there.........

@kaylahszoo: More and more people are convincing me to go to Kenai. It just looks gorgeous from the princess books. Is it possible just to go from Seward to Kenai??? Where are you flying into? With the toursaver books, how much do you save at the Princess Kenai lodge? Is there a way to find out exactly what coupons are in there? What is: the Yukon Discovery tour in Skagway, the Resurrection Bay tour in Seward? Are there pages that you can go to in order to see what these are?

@coral: Yeah, I just don't see me waiting. I need to know and plan everything in advance! My work schedule just doesn't allow for last minute things.

Sorry for so many questions!!!!!!!!

I'd love to go to Denali, Seward, and Kenai. But, I'd understand if it wasn't possible in the amount of time I have....

tapia- just go to www.toursaver.com and there is a list of all the coupons available. You can see how much the price is and how much saved. The Kenai Princess Lodge is like $249 a night with buy one night, get one free. For the Skagway tour- if offers through frontier excursions- a tour to the summit with buy one, get one free- but when I talked to them, they told me I could get my entire party 20% off any of their tours instead. We opted for the Yukon Discovery tour which is normally $100 for $80. It's less of a savings, but it goes further - to Emerald Lake and also includes lunch. We're all about the food, you know. Have to pack on those vacation pounds.

For clairfication, the above with the "Kenai" reference are referring to Cooper Landing. The actual city of Kenai is on the Cook Inlet and not what they are talking about, the Kenai Peninsula is a BIG area, so it will help to focus on the cities perhaps??

From the Kenai Princess at Cooper Landing, you need to allow at least 45 mins. to drive between there and Seward. Not ideal in my opinion. Also you NEVER want the Resurrection Bay tour in Seward, you don't even loose sight of Seward on those, little if any wildlife, you need at LEAST 6 hours on the water. These bay tours are 3.

Wow, that sounds fantastic!!!!!!!

I'm still so overwhelmed between what to do.

I really would like to go to Denali & Seward. If I can hit Cooper Landing and the Princess Lodge there, that would be great. But, I simply don't think I would have enough time.

I would need a night in Seward, at least, so I can spend those 6 hours on the water.

In Denali, I'd like to spend 2 nights there to spend enough time there as well.

With 6 nights before the cruise and all that driving to do, I just don't know if I will have enough time to do what I want....

You can definately do both areas in 6 days- easy. I would suggest however that you consider a HAL ship that goes to both Glacier Bay and College Fjords, since it goes to Seward, then either start or end your interior touring there.

Archived