insurance for cruises

Knickearth

24 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

So what? I would cancel in advance if my cancer would prevent me from a cruise. Why are you making my situation your business? I really do not need any advise. What does my situation have to do with great coverage via BoA charge card. You do know not everybody has cancer or a pre existing conditions, don't you? No matter. Where did you see this information. I read my coverage and nothing about pre existing conditions is mentioned at all.

[Emphasis added]

Are you sure there is no exclusion for pre-existing conditions?  Which credit card is this, specifically?  We'd love to know about something like this where if we charged the trip (we're going to charge it on one card or another, after all!) we'd have the protections even if some pre-existing condition was involved.

Thanks!

GC

• Pretty much covers it.

Trip delay

Provides up to $500 per ticket purchased for you and your eligible family members for reasonable expenses if a covered trip is delayed (due to a covered hazard) for more than 12 hours.

Trip Cancellation/Interruption

Provides reimbursement of up to $5,000 per person, per trip, for the unused prepaid non-refundable travel expenses including passenger fares, tours, and hotels if you have to cancel due to a covered reason.

Baggage Delay

Provides reimbursement of up to $100 per day (up to five days), when your bags are delayed or misdirected by a common carrier for more than six hours for essential items including clothing. Coverage is secondary to the common carrier.

Lost Luggage Reimbursement

Provides you coverage for luggage and its contents if they are lost or stolen due to theft or misdirection by the common carrier (airline, bus, train, cruise ship).

Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance

Provides you coverage against accidental loss of life, limb, or sight while traveling by land, air, or sea on a licensed common carrier, when you purchase tickets using your card.

1 minute ago, GeezerCouple said:

[Emphasis added]

Are you sure there is no exclusion for pre-existing conditions?  Which credit card is this, specifically?  We'd love to know about something like this where if we charged the trip (we're going to charge it on one card or another, after all!) we'd have the protections even if some pre-existing condition was involved.

Thanks!

GC

Bank of America premium rewards card. Not the Travel card.

1 minute ago, GeezerCouple said:

[Emphasis added]

Thanks!

GC

I have just read and reread the coverage. Nothing at all is mentioned about pre existing conditions 

1 minute ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I have just read and reread the coverage. Nothing at all is mentioned about pre existing conditions 

Is this the same as what you mentioned above with a $5k pp/per trip (or annual) max for cancellation/interruption?  That won't do it for us, so that would rule this out anyway.

Thanks.

GC

Just now, GeezerCouple said:

Is this the same as what you mentioned above with a $5k pp/per trip (or annual) max for cancellation/interruption?  That won't do it for us, so that would rule this out anyway.

Thanks.

GC

Well as I said. it is great for us. Certainly not for everyone.

13 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Would you mind listing the Exclusions? Is there a look-back period?

16 minutes ago, Babr said:

Would you mind listing the Exclusions? Is there a look-back period?

Or might this include some sort of "other terms and conditions apply...."?

I'll try to get a copy of this, because someone else we know may well be interested in getting this card if there isn't any such exclusion.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Or might this include some sort of "other terms and conditions apply...."?

I'll try to get a copy of this, because someone else we know may well be interested in getting this card if there isn't any such exclusion.

Thanks.

I’d like to know what you find out.

Thanks

16 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Go look at #11, I put everything there for anyone to read. There are no other acceptations on my sheet from Bank of America

I strongly suspect there are indeed at least some other "terms and conditions".

For example, there is nothing about any time limits to submit claims.   There is nothing about providing receipts...

GC

On 7/15/2022 at 4:17 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

This is an over view of what is covered. Remember we do not cruise anywhere but the Bahamas and the Caribbean. For us this is perfect. You would need to visit BoA  for the complete coverage. The paper we have is fine print and many pages of coverage. The earning rate we get is the maximum 3-1/2% because of what we keep in your accounts. You must use the card to purchase you cruise

There’s a travel credit card that doesn’t get as much love as some other popular choices — and that’s the Bank of America® Premium Rewards® credit card. For those not familiar with this card, it comes with a sign-up bonus of 50,000 points after you spend $3,000 within the first 90 days of account opening.

For a $95 annual fee, the Premium Rewards card highlights include a 2x earning rate on travel and dining purchases, 1.5x on all other eligible purchases, and an up-to-$100 airline credit to cover ancillary purchases such as seat upgrades, baggage fees, inflight services and more. Every four years, you’ll also get up to a $100 Global Entry credit, which can be used to give you TSA PreCheck or Global Entry — something every frequent traveler should have in their arsenal.

Aside from these benefits, there are some perks that aren’t as widely advertised but can be just as valuable — so let’s go over the top five lesser-known perks of the Bank of America Premium Rewards credit card.

No one wants to lose their luggage when they travel. There’s a lot to worry about, from working with the airline to try to get your bag back and going without all of your essentials. But the Bank of America Premium Rewards card offers something to help ease that pain.

If you pay for your trip costs with this card, the lost luggage coverage protects both your luggage and the contents inside of it if it’s lost or stolen due to theft or misdirection by the common carrier. Bank of America defines common carriers as airlines, buses, trains and cruise ships.

Along the same lines as the lost luggage reimbursement, the Premium Rewards card also offers coverage if your bags are delayed. When your checked baggage is delayed for at least six hours with a common carrier, you can receive up to $100 per day for up to five days that your baggage is delayed. The card’s benefit is limited to expenses incurred for essential items, such as toiletries, clothing and chargers for electronic equipment.

If something comes up with your trip, the Premium Rewards Card helps to ensure that you’re not completely losing everything you spent. If you have to cancel your trip due to a covered reason, the benefit will cover up to $2,500 per trip for any unused, prepaid, non-refundable travel expenses.

Covered types of non-refundable expenses include airfare and other common carrier fares (such as cruises, buses, and train), hotel costs, tours booked through a tour operator, prepaid rental cars, rented recreational vehicles, change fees and commercial recreational excursions.

Your trip will be covered for reasons such as accidental injury, change in military orders, a call to jury duty, a named storm warning and more. However, not all expenses are covered: Some examples are a change in plans, a change in financial circumstances, any loss because of unused vouchers, tickets, credits or coupons, and more.

If you run into a problem with a purchase you just made, the Premium Rewards Card covers you whether the item is stolen or damaged. Say, for example, you bought a new iPhone, and just a few days after having it, you drop it right on its face. The screen completely shatters and it isn’t useable. If you didn’t purchase Apple Care, the purchase protection of your Premium Rewards Card could really come into play here.

The purchase protection with this card will repair, replace or reimburse you for an eligible item purchased with your card that is stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase. You’ll be covered for up to $10,000 per claim.

Along the same lines, the Premium Rewards Card also offers an extended protection benefit. This perk doubles the time period of the manufacturer’s warranty for up to one additional year on warranties of three years or less.

This benefit gives you access to Visa Signature’s portfolio of premium hotels. If you stay with one of the hotels in the collection and pay with your Premium Rewards card, you’ll get benefits that include best rate guarantee, late checkout, free breakfast daily for two, automatic room upgrades (if available), a $25 daily food or beverage credit and more.

While the Bank of America Premium Rewards credit card has plenty of perks on the surface, some of its greatest benefits aren’t as widely advertised. From reimbursing you for lost luggage to offering you special treatment at a collection of premium hotels, the card offers value in various ways.

Trip delay

Provides up to $500 per ticket purchased for you and your eligible family members for reasonable expenses if a covered trip is delayed (due to a covered hazard) for more than 12 hours.

Trip Cancellation/Interruption

Provides reimbursement of up to $5,000 per person, per trip, for the unused prepaid non-refundable travel expenses including passenger fares, tours, and hotels if you have to cancel due to a covered reason.

Baggage Delay

Provides reimbursement of up to $100 per day (up to five days), when your bags are delayed or misdirected by a common carrier for more than six hours for essential items including clothing. Coverage is secondary to the common carrier.

Lost Luggage Reimbursement

Provides you coverage for luggage and its contents if they are lost or stolen due to theft or misdirection by the common carrier (airline, bus, train, cruise ship).

Common Carrier Travel Accident Insurance

Provides you coverage against accidental loss of life, limb, or sight while traveling by land, air, or sea on a licensed common carrier, when you purchase tickets using your card.

Traven & Emergency Assistance

Lets you get help coordinating medical, legal, and travel services when you are traveling. The cost of any goods or services is your responsibility.

Emergency Evacuation & Transportation Coverage

If you or a member of your immediate family are injured or become sick during a trip far from home that results in an emergency evacuation, you can be covered for eligible medical services and transportation.

Purchase Security

Can repair, replace or reimburse you, if an eligible item purchased with the card is stolen or damaged within 90 days of purchase. Provides reimbursement of up to $10,000 per claim.

Warranty Manager Service

Doubles the time period of the manufacturers' warranty, up to one additional year, for eligible items purchased with your card. You can also register your receipt and warranty information, which can be kept on file on warranties of three years or less, when you need them.

Return Protection

Provides you with reimbursement for the cost of an eligible item of personal property if you are dissatisfied with the item for any reason within 90 days of the purchase and if the retailer will not accept the return. Coverage is limited to $250 per eligible item and up to $1,000 annually. Items must be received by the Benefit Administrator in like-new/good working condition.

Auto Rental Collision Damage Waver

Provides you reimbursement for damage due to collision or theft. Coverage is supplemental to and in excess of other insurance. You must decline the collision/loss damage waiver offered by the auto rental agency.

Roadside Dispatch Program

Offers you a 24/7 on-demand referral dispatch network that provides emergency roadside assistance, towing, and locksmith services giving you peace of mind when you’re out on the road.

This is a summary of benefits and highlights of coverage. It is not the complete plan document, which was included with your new account materials.

See those sentences at the end of the section where it says “covered reason” or “covered hazard”? That is what is missing. You need to know what is covered by the policy, and more importantly, what is excluded.

You’ll find it in the materials B of A sent you when you got the card - those pages of fine print. Look for the section for Cancellation and Interruption benefits. Check the Table of Contents, if it has one. There will be specific language about what situations are covered and under what conditions. There will also be a list of exclusions - things not covered, like acts of war. Pay special attention to this section.

Among the things most commonly excluded is pre-existing conditions. If they are covered, they will be governed by a look-back provision. That means the insurance company will look back at your medical records for the defined number of days to determine if your cancellation or trip interruption was caused by a pre-existing condition. Any doctor’s visit, test, treatment, reported symptom, RX change during that time can be the basis for claim denial.

People here, including me, are trying to help you understand your coverage. I am sorry that you are dealing with ongoing health issues. I do not want to see you suffer the financial consequences of a denied claim simply because you misunderstood.

10 minutes ago, Babr said:

This is a summary of benefits and highlights of coverage. It is not the complete plan document, which was included with your new account materials.

See those sentences at the end of the section where it says “covered reason” or “covered hazard”? That is what is missing. You need to know what is covered by the policy, and more importantly, what is excluded.

You’ll find it in the materials B of A sent you when you got the card - those pages of fine print. Look for the section for Cancellation and Interruption benefits. Check the Table of Contents, if it has one. There will be specific language about what situations are covered and under what conditions. There will also be a list of exclusions - things not covered, like acts of war. Pay special attention to this section.

Among the things most commonly excluded is pre-existing conditions. If they are covered, they will be governed by a look-back provision. That means the insurance company will look back at your medical records for the defined number of days to determine if your cancellation or trip interruption was caused by a pre-existing condition. Any doctor’s visit, test, treatment, reported symptom, RX change during that time can be the basis for claim denial.

People here, including me, are trying to help you understand your coverage. I am sorry that you are dealing with ongoing health issues. I do not want to see you suffer the financial consequences of a denied claim simply because you misunderstood.

I did read it. What you are saying is not there.

Just now, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I did read it. What you are saying is not there.

Did you read just the stuff you posted here or the complete Guide to Benefits from B of A?

It is in there somewhere because they have to define “covered reason” or “hazard.” It is part of the policy.

If you do not find it, call them tomorrow and ask them to direct you to the written terms of the policy. 

You have to know before you book another trip.

1 minute ago, Babr said:

Did you read just the stuff you posted here or the complete Guide to Benefits from B of A?

It is in there somewhere because they have to define “covered reason” or “hazard.” It is part of the policy.

If you do not find it, call them tomorrow and ask them to direct you to the written terms of the policy. 

You have to know before you book another trip.

Look, I read everything I have from Bank of America about the insurance coverage and nothing has anything about pre existing conditions. As I said. it is perfect for us and very happy with it. I had to use it once and it was flawless and prompt. 

Just now, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Look, I read everything I have from Bank of America about the insurance coverage and nothing has anything about pre existing conditions. As I said. it is perfect for us and very happy with it. I had to use it once and it was flawless and prompt. 

OK, then. Happy Sailing.

30 minutes ago, Babr said:

OK, then. Happy Sailing.

You are correct. Found it. Pre existing conditions within 3 months of traveling. Yes I have cancer. If the cancer causes me not to take the cruise during the 3 months the insurance will not cover it. However. I can cancel the cruise. So it really does not make any difference.

You are correct. Found it. Pre existing conditions within 3 months of traveling. Yes I have cancer. If the cancer causes me not to take the cruise during the 3 months the insurance will not cover it. However. I can cancel the cruise. So it really does not make any difference.

Take another look. I think that three months is the look-back period. It means if there is anything related to the pre-existing condition in the three months prior to placing a deposit or booking a trip, it will not be covered. 

Your medical history has to be clear 90 days prior to booking each and every time.

7 minutes ago, Babr said:

Take another look. I think that three months is the look-back period. It means if there is anything related to the pre-existing condition in the three months prior to placing a deposit or booking a trip, it will not be covered. 

Your medical history has to be clear 90 days prior to booking each and every time.

Is that not what I said? Within 3 months of traveling is the same.

8 minutes ago, Babr said:

Again, I can always cancel and get a refund. Not a problem for me at all.

Is that not what I said? Within 3 months of traveling is the same.

You said “ the three months insurance won’t cover it.” That is not the same as clear history prior to booking. You are not traveling during those three months. You can’t book until they have elapsed.

5 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Again, I can always cancel and get a refund. Not a problem for me at all.

Why book in the first place if you know there is a related issue in the 90 days prior? You can cancel before final payment with a refundable deposit, but if you cancel after final payment because of pre-existing, then you have no coverage. That is the point.

1 hour ago, Dthomas1 said:

On Carnival their pre purchased insurance covers pre existing conditions.

https://affinitytravelcert.com/document/pdfs/Carnival_TX_05_21.pdf

Actually, it does not, but the look-back is 60 days. See # 1 under restrictions. It does allow you to cancel for any reason and get 75% FCC.

Always Cruising is trying to use credit card insurance rather than a comprehensive travel policy.

43 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

This is the sort of thing we were trying to explain to you.  There are no doubt other terms and conditions, as we've tried to explain.

And it may "not matter" to *you*, but it might matter A LOT to someone else.  It would be a shame if they believed that what you posted were "ALL of the terms and conditions".  

I have zero doubt there are others.  They may not matter to you.

But that doesn't mean they don't exist.

And it's not clear if you understand the pre-existing condition issue.  How do they define it?

It may be, perhaps surprisingly, that your "condition" won't be excluded... depending upon how "pre-existing condition" is defined.  It's very different with travel insurance that with regular everyday usage, and different travel insurers tend to have somewhat different definitions.

I hope you are able to enjoy your trip!

But please do be careful always to "read the fine print".  It may matter; it may not.  But you won't know unless you read it all. (Or have someone you trust AND who knows your specific situation help you with it.)

GC

• Like 1