Sydney/ Halifax Novia Scotia excursions

MSD73

We will be going on the Canada/New England cruise on the Joy NCL in Sept.  Does anyone have suggestions regarding Sydney tours: Scenic Cabot Trail or Bras D'or Lakes Grand Tour  And suggestions for Halifax?  

Edited by MSD73

On 7/14/2022 at 6:26 PM, MSD73 said:

We will be going on the Canada/New England cruise on the Joy NCL in Sept.  Does anyone have suggestions regarding Sydney tours: Scenic Cabot Trail or Bras D'or Lakes Grand Tour

Hi,

I'm on the September 06 Joy cruise.  I've booked "Spirit of the Senses" in Sydney and "Views of Halifax" while in Halifax.  There is also "Pier 21" museum right at the port which you might enjoy.  It was where immigrants coming to Canada came through years back.  I've been there several years ago and hope to visit it again if I've time.

What ever you decide I'm sure you'll have a great time.  I can't wait!!!

Take care, happytotravel

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2022 at 7:26 PM, MSD73 said:

We will be going on the Canada/New England cruise on the Joy NCL in Sept.  Does anyone have suggestions regarding Sydney tours: Scenic Cabot Trail or Bras D'or Lakes Grand Tour  And suggestions for Halifax?  

Are you in Halifax on September 11....perhaps I can assist with a tour recommendation.  jimdavid224 at gmail dot com

Halifax has so much within walking distance: the Public Garden, the Citadel, Maritime Museum, immigration museum, restaurants and shops, the Halifax Distillery, Alexander Keith's Brewery, and Province House. We saved going to Peggy's Cove and the cemetery with the Titanic graves for our second trip there. We rented a car and did it on our own.

• Like 2

On 8/29/2022 at 3:41 AM, windsor26 said:

interested in suggestions  for tours or places in Sydney please

There isn't a lot to do in Sydney. Your ship probably offers some of the tours I've done on past trips. If you like history, Fortress Louisbourg is excellent. There's an Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck. This time (QM2), I'm going to a Celtic village. Most tours will involve an hour drive or so each way.

• Like 2

Just now, 3rdGenCunarder said:

There isn't a lot to do in Sydney. Your ship probably offers some of the tours I've done on past trips. If you like history, Fortress Louisbourg is excellent. There's an Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck. This time (QM2), I'm going to a Celtic village. Most tours will involve an hour drive or so each way.

Thank you  I appreciate your reply

On 9/1/2022 at 10:19 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

To add to this-

There is a Miner's Museum in Glace Bay (about 25 minutes from Port) where you tour an old mine that goes out under the Atlantic Ocean. 

The Fortress is excellent.  Baddeck is also a nice little area, couple of shops. There used to be a sailing tour on the Amoeba I did many years ago, but looks like they are in the process of transitioning, the original boat has been decommissioned and they are not taking reservations for the 2022 season.  I've also done kayak tours there as well. 

There isn't a ton to do in Sydney itself, but there is still some.  There is an Old Sydney Walking Tour but it looks like that is done through the ships excursions. The Port itself has a number of shops and usually has a craft fair with a wide variety of nice items.  There are a few good restaurants and beer gardens within walking distance and some have live music on cruise days.  

Cape Breton is home to the Mi'kmaq people. Within Sydney is Membertou First Nation, probably about 5 minutes from the port.  They have a cultural heritage center and offer guided and self guided tours. 

http://www.membertouheritagepark.com/cultural-experiences

The best part of Cape Breton is the Cabot Trail.  Unfortunately, there isn't enough time to do the whole trail on a port day but you can get tours that do part of it.  IMO, the west side of the island is the nicest part, but it's a good 2 hour drive to get there. 

• Like 2