Mendenhall Glacier, on own

Motorcycle Gma

Should we take the Juneau shuttle or Tram to the top?  We arrive on a Wednesday, Aug. 3.  I'm just 2 weeks out and have NOTHING booked.

Help!  I'd also like to know if anyone has done a last minute Helicopter ride in any port, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan??  They are so expensive!

Thanks

I wouldn’t buy a tram ticket until you know what the weather is like.  You can purchase those tickets the day of.  It’s a great excursion but better when you have the opportunity to see the incredible view!  Lots of hiking up at the top as well.

There are a number of vendors who will sell you a ticket to ride the bus to Mendenhall Glacier.  Current price is $45/person which includes admission, transport there and back.  If you have a National park pass, they will knock $5 off the price.  No need to book ahead of time—lots of vendors, lots of busses.  They are located next to the tram ride.

I can’t give you any information about the helicopter rides but two weeks ago when I was in Juneau, there were a number of vendors who approached me about buying a helicopter ride.  I wasn’t interested but there are vendors who seem to be selling day of tours.

Edited by disneyochem
  • Like 1

We took the shuttle out to the glacier and really glad we did. We hiked to the waterfall, and then the short trail to the better view of the glacier. We spent maybe and hour and a half there. You would probably have plenty of time to do both the tram and the glacier. We had a dog sled excursion after the glacier. Fun. 

We did a ship excursion for the helicopter and Mendenhall. For what it's worth, the excursion was $339, and I looked up the same excursion through the same helicopter company and it's $329. I'm surprised there's not a bigger price difference, but worth knowing before seeking out something for much less. The guides and pilots were wonderful and we don't usually splurge like that for a family of 4 but this was well worth it!

https://temscoair.com/mendenhall-glacier-and-guided-walk/

We are also doing the glacier on our own in September— we’ve been there before and wanted to hike to Nugget Falls this time around, plus my father has a senior National Park pass that will help with the visitor’s center fee. I booked shuttle tickets with Juneau Tours, since they were running an early bird sale at the time. Afterwards, we may just walk around the port area for a little while if the weather isn’t good enough for the Mt. Roberts tram.

On 7/14/2022 at 6:33 PM, disneyochem said:

I wouldn’t buy a tram ticket until you know what the weather is like.  You can purchase those tickets the day of.  It’s a great excursion but better when you have the opportunity to see the incredible view!  Lots of hiking up at the top as well.

There are a number of vendors who will sell you a ticket to ride the bus to Mendenhall Glacier.  Current price is $45/person which includes admission, transport there and back.  If you have a National park pass, they will knock $5 off the price.  No need to book ahead of time—lots of vendors, lots of busses.  They are located next to the tram ride.

I can’t give you any information about the helicopter rides but two weeks ago when I was in Juneau, there were a number of vendors who approached me about buying a helicopter ride.  I wasn’t interested but there are vendors who seem to be selling day of tours.

This sounds good, thank you. I was going to go with Juneau Shuttle. Good to know about the National Park Pass, I think we have one.  Good idea on the tram too.  Thanks

On 7/14/2022 at 6:43 PM, kona_wahine said:

We took the shuttle out to the glacier and really glad we did. We hiked to the waterfall, and then the short trail to the better view of the glacier. We spent maybe and hour and a half there. You would probably have plenty of time to do both the tram and the glacier. We had a dog sled excursion after the glacier. Fun. 

How hard or long are these hikes?  My sister is a bit of a wimp, but she walked 3 miles the other day in Texas heat!  Thanks for the advice. Wish I could do the dog sled too.  So much to do, so little money... Just quit my job. 🙂

14 minutes ago, Motorcycle Gma said:

How hard or long are these hikes?  My sister is a bit of a wimp, but she walked 3 miles the other day in Texas heat!  Thanks for the advice. Wish I could do the dog sled too.  So much to do, so little money... Just quit my job. 🙂

The walk to Nugget Falls is about 1 mile each way.  It’s a nice walk—parts are paved and no elevation change.  The walk to see the glacier is short—maybe 5 minutes?  

There are also other trails you can go on but for a first time visit, I would walk to Nugget Falls.

• Like 2