Azamara's tours: are they worth the cost?

Nippy Sweetie

Has anyone done the snorkling tour in Burmuda?  Its $200US pp, and booked because we had a lot of OBC.  Anyone know cancellation refund policy pre arrival?

It seems like it is a slightly marked up version of this tour featured on trip advisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g147255-d11451731-Bermuda_Hidden_Gems_Summer_Excursion-Bermuda.html

Edited by Pizzasteve

8 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

Has anyone done the snorkling tour in Burmuda?  Its $200US pp, and booked because we had a lot of OBC.  Anyone know cancellation refund policy pre arrival?

It seems like it is a slightly marked up version of this tour featured on trip advisor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/AttractionProductReview-g147255-d11451731-Bermuda_Hidden_Gems_Summer_Excursion-Bermuda.html

Cancellation and refund policies are clear in the T&C, but usually there is a 24 hour deadline.  If the ship misses the port, they will refund you.

Today onboard Quest we can see an advantage in booking ship tours. We were supposed to be in Vik from where many were planning to go on the Flam railway some through the ship and some independently 

Last night we were advised there been a rockfall on the road so tours could not get to the train. We are now going to a tiny place 30 miles away so the tours can still go ahead. It’s somewhere Azamara has never been (nor has our Norwegian captain) it’s that small and remote. 
They have helped guests travelling on independent tours reach their provider but some are saying the providers can’t make the trip to get them. 
Flam railway is one often discussed as diy vs expense of the ship. It sells out early. It’s unfortunate today for those who opted for independent and have now no tour. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

Today onboard Quest we can see an advantage in booking ship tours. We were supposed to be in Vik from where many were planning to go on the Flam railway some through the ship and some independently 

Last night we were advised there been a rockfall on the road so tours could not get to the train. We are now going to a tiny place 30 miles away so the tours can still go ahead. It’s somewhere Azamara has never been (nor has our Norwegian captain) it’s that small and remote. 
They have helped guests travelling on independent tours reach their provider but some are saying the providers can’t make the trip to get them. 
Flam railway is one often discussed as diy vs expense of the ship. It sells out early. It’s unfortunate today for those who opted for independent and have now no tour. 

When I was last in Flam, the ship actually docked AT Flam, and we only had to walk across to the train station.  That was perfect for independent bookings, plus there were not many travellers in the whole compartment, so we could move around from window to window.  The ship's tour had their compartments completely full.  This was on Celebrity Eclipse (Solstice Class).  I wonder why Quest didn't dock there?  (I haven't looked at your itinerary.)

9 minutes ago, Port Power said:

When I was last in Flam, the ship actually docked AT Flam, and we only had to walk across to the train station.  That was perfect for independent bookings, plus there were not many travellers in the whole compartment, so we could move around from window to window.  The ship's tour had their compartments completely full.  This was on Celebrity Eclipse (Solstice Class).  I wonder why Quest didn't dock there?  (I haven't looked at your itinerary.)

Flam is no longer possible for most ships due to changes in restrictions on fuel and types of power. 

• Thanks 1

In our early days of Azamara cruising, from 2012, they gave a good discount for pre booking shore excursions. These were very reasonably priced and we found they were generally very good excursions. The only deficiency was when lunch was included, which we always found to be ordinary buffets. The other relative weakness was a larger group number; so movement can be slower and it’s not as friendly.  Otherwise, they were good value and generally included what an external excursion would.

Once Azamara removed the discount, they were no longer price competitive and we’ve found that small group excursions organised through cruise critic roll calls are usually preferable. Almost every one of them has been a very enjoyable experience both for content and the company of good travelling companions. Fortunately, we have never had any concern about arriving late back to the ship (touch wood).

If we’re looking for an all day excursion, then we focus on a roll call group for an external excursion provider. We’ve had some great ones (St Petersburg; Petra; Mumbai; Jerusalem). These are usually better priced, flexible and a small group moves better than a potentially larger ship group. We have more wonderful memories from these type excursions, for the reasons stated.

Often, though, we’re more interested in half day tours. It seeems that there’s not much difference in content or price on these. So, unless someone is looking for participants and it suits, we’ll happily do ship excursions.

We’re not fans of what we consider overpriced walking tours for 2-4 hours (which we can do ourselves) or what we consider blatant rip offs (e.g. certain museum type visits which we can do ourselves for a pittance instead of $100 or more per person). Instead, we’ll either work out the public transport or pay a taxi to take us.

Its up to each of us to choose what ship excursions we’ll happily pay for. Some but not all are certainly worth the price.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 3:59 PM, Port Power said:

Cancellation and refund policies are clear in the T&C, but usually there is a 24 hour deadline.  If the ship misses the port, they will refund you.

I booked online and I didnt see any T&Cs that you refer to.  There was a tour description.  Can you offer a link?  Thanks.  We likely will enjoy the tour, so not a big deal.

7 hours ago, Pizzasteve said:

I booked online and I didnt see any T&Cs that you refer to.  There was a tour description.  Can you offer a link?  Thanks.  We likely will enjoy the tour, so not a big deal.

If you look at the bottom of the full tour description you should see the clickable wording in blue saying ‘SHOW TERMS AND CONDITIONS+’

- here’s a screen print showing where it is.C2F7870C-856D-4B6A-B937-2DF99DE40BAC.thumb.png.a41c4c741bee8bc1105c22bfb3ec0993.png

On 7/31/2022 at 12:13 AM, Grandma Cruising said:

If you look at the bottom of the full tour description you should see the clickable wording in blue saying ‘SHOW TERMS AND CONDITIONS+’

- here’s a screen print showing where it is.C2F7870C-856D-4B6A-B937-2DF99DE40BAC.thumb.png.a41c4c741bee8bc1105c22bfb3ec0993.png

Hilariously, I finally found the link which included this gem.

"

• Guests with back, neck, hip, knee or ankle should not select this tour."   

Thanks for the giggle.  Terms actually didnt say anything about cancellations, though it did say unused OBC would expire at end of cruise.

Screenshot_20220801-153607_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Haha 1

At the end of the “Printer Friendly E-Brochure of all Shore Excursions” for my upcoming information there is a section headed General Information which includes the following “ What if I cancel my Shore Excursion?
Guests enjoy the benefits of a hassle-free 48-hour cancellation period when reserving Shore Excursions. This flexible tour cancellation policy allows guests to cancel or modify tour reservations up to 48 hours prior to the scheduled tour departure without penalty. If changing or canceling a shore excursion within the appropriate non-penalty period, our valued guests will have two options: they can either contact the Shore Excursions team to reserve another tour, or if they choose to cancel, will have their onboard account credited in the full amount of the tour cost without penalty or fee.

Tours that involve flights, special events, overland stays and hotel accommodations as well private arrangements may be subject to cancellation fees.“

There is a link to both the General Information and Terms and Conditions at the end of the first Itinerary Page of the brochure.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 6:56 PM, Baynanno1 said:

Well said and very well covered.

My only addition would be that unfortunately some cruisers will either fail to read, or ignore the word "strenuous" with the result that the pace of the tour is slowed to that person's pace (or lack of), usually resulting in less time at a site, or occasionally missing part of the tour.

I signed up for one that sounded strenuous but was marked moderate.  The description said it was a billygoat trail over rocks and narrow trails.  Okay that’s iffy, then it said it was 2,5 hours and was .5 miles long. I figured shoot I can crawl that far, or scoot on my butt!  When I got on the ship the pay sent out a flyer advertising the tour only it said 5. miles.  I carried the flyer down to shore and knew at least one of the staff.  Before I could ask she said yes it’s right, please don’t go on that!  I repeated if it is indeed 5 miles I’m certainly not going but how on earth did a 5 mile hike get to be moderate.  Turned out the rating was from the locals no one had been there before! 

The staff I knew had tried to talk me out of Ephesus and the terrace houses but the pics and descriptions seem doable and after asking 100 question I decided I was going.  When I got out of the terrace houses that particular staff said that after seeing me function I could do whatever I wanted.  I told them I still needed their input!  The 2 tours were about 6-8 years apart and I knew my abilities had declined, but I tend to underestimate what I can do which is hard to measure. 

i do understand what you are saying though, I just need information that has the needed information.  A 25 yard walk that turns out be straight up a cliff is different than a stroll down the pier!  

On 8/1/2022 at 6:40 PM, Pizzasteve said:

Hilariously, I finally found the link which included this gem.

"

• Guests with back, neck, hip, knee or ankle should not select this tour."   

Thanks for the giggle.  Terms actually didnt say anything about cancellations, though it did say unused OBC would expire at end of cruise.

Screenshot_20220801-153607_Chrome.jpg

If everyone read that no one would be on the tour.  There is no way not to need a wheelchair without at least 1 hip, knee and ankle😱

On 7/30/2022 at 7:32 AM, AJCM said:

In our early days of Azamara cruising, from 2012, they gave a good discount for pre booking shore excursions. These were very reasonably priced and we found they were generally very good excursions. The only deficiency was when lunch was included, which we always found to be ordinary buffets. The other relative weakness was a larger group number; so movement can be slower and it’s not as friendly.  Otherwise, they were good value and generally included what an external excursion would.

Once Azamara removed the discount, they were no longer price competitive and we’ve found that small group excursions organised through cruise critic roll calls are usually preferable. Almost every one of them has been a very enjoyable experience both for content and the company of good travelling companions. Fortunately, we have never had any concern about arriving late back to the ship (touch wood).

If we’re looking for an all day excursion, then we focus on a roll call group for an external excursion provider. We’ve had some great ones (St Petersburg; Petra; Mumbai; Jerusalem). These are usually better priced, flexible and a small group moves better than a potentially larger ship group. We have more wonderful memories from these type excursions, for the reasons stated.

Often, though, we’re more interested in half day tours. It seeems that there’s not much difference in content or price on these. So, unless someone is looking for participants and it suits, we’ll happily do ship excursions.

We’re not fans of what we consider overpriced walking tours for 2-4 hours (which we can do ourselves) or what we consider blatant rip offs (e.g. certain museum type visits which we can do ourselves for a pittance instead of $100 or more per person). Instead, we’ll either work out the public transport or pay a taxi to take us.

Its up to each of us to choose what ship excursions we’ll happily pay for. Some but not all are certainly worth the price.

just to play devils advocate, although we used mostly local guides we did do some walking tours with a guide rather than on our own. Because of a language barrier it seemed like a better way to operate.  

On 7/30/2022 at 1:23 AM, uktog said:

There is at least one story, told by Celebrity, where a Panama Canal area tour that was to return to the port by train had a rock slide on the track stranding the guest for hours.  They ended up leaving them behind and getting them to the next port but what a logistics nightmare.