COVID test required boarding Princess at Southampton????

brucedodge

My understanding is that the COVID test is NOT required.  Is that in fact the case?  Not talking about vaccines and boosters.

We're arriving on QM2 the day before our Princess departure, and need to be prepared if it's required.

Thanks,

Bruce

Yes an observed lft (or pcr depending on vaccine status) is required before boarding. There is a dam health in Southampton or you could do an online test. I assume though you won't have a car etc..... at the port so that may be am issue for dam health. You could order one for online from where you are based now ? 

53 minutes ago, brucedodge said:

My understanding is that the COVID test is NOT required.  Is that in fact the case?  Not talking about vaccines and boosters.

We're arriving on QM2 the day before our Princess departure, and need to be prepared if it's required.

Thanks,

Bruce

Will QM2 do the test for you OB?  Maybe the day before arrival?

Thanks for the responses.  We will get it done.  Having QM2 do it is probably first choice, and if they can't or won't, we will work it out in Southampton.  And it's nice to know it can be done at the pier if necessary, even at $60 a pop.

Bruce

On 7/15/2022 at 2:05 PM, Alcairns said:

Princess have a pre boarding test site at the terminal but it costs $60 per person - billed to the stateroom.

This used to be mentioned on their website, but it is no longer.... ☹️

So, pretty sure you are now on your own to get a test....

2 hours ago, brucedodge said:

Thanks for the responses.  We will get it done.  Having QM2 do it is probably first choice, and if they can't or won't, we will work it out in Southampton.  And it's nice to know it can be done at the pier if necessary, even at $60 a pop.

Bruce

There are two places within a 20 minute walk that will do it there and then for £30 a pop. (look up Lloyds Pharmacies)

Fair play though for taking the risk coming off one cruise onto another. We got off Enchanted yesterday and my wife tested positive today. Without doubt its absolutely rampant. 

Edited by doog442

2 hours ago, brucedodge said:

Bruce

Yes, as @dreaminofcrusinmentioned they have updated the rules again on princess website as of July 14th. 

You should check the website often.

Do you have a proctored test you could do OB the QM2?   Maybe an option.

If cruise lines are going to continue with the pre cruise testing they need to return to pre boarding testing at the terminal. It is futile to test 2-3 days before the cruise when passengers can easily be exposed after taking the test particularly when passing through busy airports. There is still a chance of exposure at the terminal but the risk of outbreaks would be lessened. 

17 hours ago, brucedodge said:

Bruce

Hi Bruce, I'm in a similar situation as you - we disembark QM2 on August 12 morning, and embark Island Princess on August 12 afternoon - so I have been researching the options for this.

QM2, at the moment, is only providing testing onboard if you present yourself as symptomatic, and then they will test. If you only want to test to have a document showing negative, even by paying a fee, they are not offering this service. My guess is that they don't want to encourage extra testing onboard. And if you present yourself as (fake) symptomatic to obtain the test, they will make you quarantine until your symptoms are gone.  So that one is out for us.

Princess offers testing at the pier, at $60 pp, but I have read that the lines for testing are very, very long as many people are traveling internationally and using this option for convenience.

The last option is to arrange for a test in Southampton, which is the option we have chosen.  We booked tests with the Regenerative Wellness Clinic at Westquay Mall in Southampton for 10am on August 12. We will disembark the QM2, head to the clinic, have our tests, wait for our results, and then head over to the Island Princess. We were able to book appointments online, and the cost was 39L each.  

19 minutes ago, terry&mike said:

Hi Bruce, I'm in a similar situation as you - we disembark QM2 on August 12 morning, and embark Island Princess on August 12 afternoon - so I have been researching the options for this.

QM2, at the moment, is only providing testing onboard if you present yourself as symptomatic, and then they will test. If you only want to test to have a document showing negative, even by paying a fee, they are not offering this service. My guess is that they don't want to encourage extra testing onboard. And if you present yourself as (fake) symptomatic to obtain the test, they will make you quarantine until your symptoms are gone.  So that one is out for us.

Princess offers testing at the pier, at $60 pp, but I have read that the lines for testing are very, very long as many people are traveling internationally and using this option for convenience.

The last option is to arrange for a test in Southampton, which is the option we have chosen.  We booked tests with the Regenerative Wellness Clinic at Westquay Mall in Southampton for 10am on August 12. We will disembark the QM2, head to the clinic, have our tests, wait for our results, and then head over to the Island Princess. We were able to book appointments online, and the cost was 39L each.  

It doesn’t show the port testing $60 on the updated Princess website July 14, 22

any more.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Do you have a proctored test you could do OB the QM2?   Maybe an option.

QM2 transatlantic sailings have notoriously poor internet. If you could even make the connection, I don't think you would be able to hold it for the 20 minutes or so to complete the entire call/test. 

I'll use a proctored test to board the QM2 from my hotel room in NYC, but I wouldn't rely on it for the second sailing.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

It doesn’t show the port testing $60 on the updated Princess website July 14, 22

any more.

Very interesting, and I had not noticed this change. Last weekend, it still showed the $60 test at pier option for my cruise departure from Southampton on the Princess web site, and in looking now, that option is gone. I am very happy I locked in our appointments at the Regenerative Wellness Center, as I have a feeling they will become rather busy, given this change. 

14 minutes ago, terry&mike said:

QM2 transatlantic sailings have notoriously poor internet. If you could even make the connection, I don't think you would be able to hold it for the 20 minutes or so to complete the entire call/test. 

I'll use a proctored test to board the QM2 from my hotel room in NYC, but I wouldn't rely on it for the second sailing.

Another backup.  Not sure how the internet is on the QM2, if they try, I would try the day before arrival, sometimes that has worked for me, as we get closer to land.

Definitely wouldn’t be my only plan.

Princess do not help. I have just had an email re our October cruise from Southampton referring the latest health protocols. It makes specific reference to my cruise and testing at the terminal. There is a link to further info however this link takes me to Sailing out of Europe rather than the U.K. As a previous poster has mentioned the U.K. faqs no longer make reference to testing at the terminal. So confusing! 

17 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

The website was changed on June 28th. We board the Island Princess on  Friday July 29th, but fly on Monday July 25th, so we can’t take tests at home. We will do proctored tests from our hotel prior to the cruise. 

We have had good success using the proctored tests from our hotel rooms in several countries. The wifi is usually stable enough to last the call, the room is quiet enough to be able to hear the instructions from the person monitoring, and there is enough space to set up a comfortable place where the phone can view your test for the waiting period. Hotels have also been happy to give a print out of the results, as well. That would have been our choice had we had an overnight in Southampton, but with going directly from one ship to another, we weren't trusting that we could find a place quiet enough and with a signal that wouldn't drop. It's very frustrating to lose connection during the results waiting time and have to throw the test out. 

One change we noticed in June on the Binax Now proctored tests is that there is a person who monitors the test while you take it, and then a different person comes on the line at 15 minutes and goes over the results with you.  In the past the same person came back on the line.  They tell you to ensure that the actual test lies within view of your device for the 15 minute wait time, so I imagine someone is monitoring the test during that time. 

• Like 1

UPDATED: What if I don't get my test results back in time?

All guests ages five and older must produce a negative viral COVID-19 test taken before embarkation on all Princess sailings.

We understand that it may be difficult for some of our guests to find testing that can provide results within a tight turnaround. Accordingly, for fully vaccinated guests who can show proof of testing within the three-day window but did not receive their test results back in time. Princess will provide complimentary testing at or near the terminal on the day of your cruise departure.

Guests who test positive for COVID-19 will be denied boarding, together with their family members and close contacts, may be required to quarantine shoreside and may be restricted from commercial air travel. If you, your family members, travel companions or other close contacts are suspected of having COVID-19 and are denied boarding, you will be entitled to a 100% Future Cruise Credit (FCC).