How easy is it for an American to get a Covid test in London or Southampton

RalphWiggum

I will need to get a private antigen test the day before sailing out of Southampton. How easy it is to go to testing site (I’m assuming a pharmacy or drugstore chain) and get a test done?  How far in advance do I need to book it or can I just do a walk-in?  

Also, the Cunard website says I can order a test kit online through a government approved provider.  But I’m not clear what that entails or whether that will work for me (that is getting something mailed to me).  So can you buy such a test kit (im assuming this is me of the online proctored ones) at a drug store?  

any help would be appreciated, esp someone’s else just describing what they did and the test they got. 

Thanks in advance. 

There is a testing site in the West Quay Shopping Centre in Southampton called The Regenerative Clinic. We used them back in December. You are best to book an appointment online if possible. We felt more comfortable visiting a clinic rather than self testing. They will email the result to you. Time span is dependent on which test you choose. 

Some branches of Lloyds Pharmacy and Boots (same group as Walgreens) offer in store testing by online booked appointment.

Depending on what you plan to do between UK arrival and embarkation you could have an online test posted to a UK address that is not your permanent address such as your hotel or other accomodation. Randox Health sent kits to our Southampton hotel at end of May as a backup in case we had problems with our primary arrangements. You would need to confirm that the hotel was prepared to receive and store the package for you.

Most of the UK online suppliers are unlikely to mail tests to you in the US.

Thanks for your quick and helpful responses. 

I will try to make an appt at the Southampton shopping center.  Hopefully they can tell me which test to take foR Cunard since they must get a lot of passengers testing there.  

I like D&N also likes belts and suspenders so want a backup option. I will be in Bath for a few days before going to London for one day and then Southampton the day before my sailing so was hoping to pick up a proctored online test at a pharmacy since I don’t think the window of time I’m in bath will allow for getting it mailed to me.  

again Thanks. 

We’re scheduled for a test walking distance from our hotel in London.  I think it’s called Private Harley Street Clinic.  It was easy to schedule online.  We’re paying for the convenience, but worth it for us. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RalphWiggum said:

I will need to get a private antigen test the day before sailing out of Southampton. How easy it is to go to testing site (I’m assuming a pharmacy or drugstore chain) and get a test done?  How far in advance do I need to book it or can I just do a walk-in?  

Also, the Cunard website says I can order a test kit online through a government approved provider.  But I’m not clear what that entails or whether that will work for me (that is getting something mailed to me).  So can you buy such a test kit (im assuming this is me of the online proctored ones) at a drug store?  

any help would be appreciated, esp someone’s else just describing what they did and the test they got. 

Thanks in advance. 

Presently Cunard require a test a day before or on the day so  Just book an appointment  time at the Regenerative Clinic Southampton, In West Quay Shopping Centre, which is Very near to the Port, (Westquay Centre , Harbour Parade, Southampton SO15 1QF.)

The cost is £39 for a fit to fly Antigen test, with certificate. Which will be emailed to you within 4 hours.

https://www.theregenerativeclinic.co.uk/southampton-covid-19-rapid-antigen-test-appointment-

booking/

If in London the day before then book one of their London Clinics.

You can do a self test using Randox which requires their app to be downloaded  and Test kit sent to an address. You do the test your self and upload the negative result to them on the Randox  Certiflyapp  and receive a certificate usually within 10 minutes. The cost for that is usually around £12 (Use coupon Code  Fly15 )

I think only UK delivery by Post but the test kit is available to be collected from various small stores locally in the UK

The Randox Test at Home-UK kit is available to collect from certain stores immediately , but must be paid for and ordered  via their web page for click and collect. They are usually small local stores, but the web page does show if the store has stock. Bit fiddly as you have to select your collection areas then click on the stores shown to find the address to collect from.

https://covid.randox.com/pre-departure/

Edited by LifeonMars

Seriously, thank you everyone for this wealth of information.  I will coordinate with my travel partner to see what we will do.  He is in the UK already so maybe he can order the Randox tests now for collection at a store near him.   

I also looked at the Southampton West Quay website and saw much availability for bookings.   Honestly, I’d be fine with just that option but I’ll be taking a train from London to Southampton the morning before I sail, and with the strike issues, I don’t want to just rely on a scheduled appt in Southampton.  

but great to know there is also a last minute option by the pier. 

Edited by RalphWiggum

9 minutes ago, RalphWiggum said:

Seriously, thank you everyone for this wealth of information.  I will coordinate with my travel partner to see what we will do.  He is in the UK already so maybe he can order the Randox tests now for collection at a store near him.   

I also looked at the Southampton West Quay website and saw much availability for bookings.   Honestly, I’d be fine with just that option but I’ll be taking a train from London to Southampton the morning before I sail, and with the strike issues, I don’t want to just rely on a scheduled appt in Southampton.  

but great to know there is also a last minute option by the pier. 

Hubby and I have tests booked at the Regenerative Clinic at the mall in Southampton for the morning we board.  Was easy to do online, and we like knowing it’s booked. 

20 hours ago, Tonopah said:

We’re scheduled for a test walking distance from our hotel in London.  I think it’s called Private Harley Street Clinic.  It was easy to schedule online.  We’re paying for the convenience, but worth it for us. 

No no no that might be very expensive. Harley street is famous for high priced private doctor so far as I am aware or at least it used to be. There are cheaper options

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

No no no that might be very expensive. Harley street is famous for high priced private doctor so far as I am aware or at least it used to be. There are cheaper options

Yes, we are aware,  but we chose convenience over cost. Surprisingly it wasn’t as expensive as we were expecting.

• Like 1