Dance cruise

raisincain

"just move your body." No! Absolutely wrong! Like telling a golfer to just swing the club without mentioning hitting a ball.

Most cruise ship dancing is based on a count of 4. (Many pages of background information omitted here.) You don't just flail around. Not terribly difficult, but it does need to be explained in bite-sized chunks. No wonder you're confused.

And LOTS of practice.

11 hours ago, ldubs said:

Real or unreal, I can't dance.  Mrs Ldubs says just move your body.   I just don't get it.   

My DW is serious about dancing, and wants to get the steps perfect. OTOH, I just want to move my body to the music which constantly frustrates her. We have taken lessons, and one of the instructors as I just moved my body to my own rhythm said "I was very creative.". I do not think he meant it as a compliment.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

My DW is serious about dancing, and wants to get the steps perfect. OTOH, I just want to move my body to the music which constantly frustrates her. We have taken lessons, and one of the instructors as I just moved my body to my own rhythm said "I was very creative.". I do not think he meant it as a compliment.

One of the people we had lessons with (not the one quoted in the above post) was the late Jackie Horner who was the inspiration for the movie Dirty Dancing. (The article says she is 86, but it is old. She passed away, dancing and teaching dancing, until well into her 90s.) She was an extremely elegant lady to the very end. We miss her.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/17/borscht-belt-crew-that-inspired-dirty-dancing-to-reunite-in-catskills/

Edited by ontheweb

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

I manage to stay upright, and that is about it.  I wonder if Arthur Murray schools are still around.  

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

Real or unreal, I can't dance.  Mrs Ldubs says just move your body.   I just don't get it.   

The important thing is that you KNOW that you can't dance.  Pity those people out there who don't know that they can't dance.

• Like 1