Internet options ?

Gunther1

22 hours ago, PSR said:

Some questions: Is the $60 for the whole cruise or will it vary based on how many days you are cruising? You mention that more than one person must be signed into the same HAL Navigator account at the same time to use multiple devices. I thought each person had to have his/her separate account to use the Navigator. Is this incorrect? Thanks for any info.

The upgrade price seems to vary from cruise to cruise. In May and June I paid $30 to upgrade to four devices on each of two 7-day cruises. I did it the first day of each cruise. Others have reported higher prices.

The Navigator app is completely different from Internet pricing. You don't need an Internet package to use the Navigator app while aboard, including the links to the New York Times and other external sites.

With an Internet package, only one device at a time can use the Internet on your account. So if you purchase an Internet plan at the beginning of your cruise (or prebook it at a 20% discount), only one device (phone, tablet, laptop, etc.) can use that plan simulataneously. When a second device tries to log on to that account the user is promptly to either boot off the first device or, at least at the beginning of the cruise, upgrade the plan to four simultaneous devices.

Considering the hundreds of dollars a day we pay for a cabin, an extra $60/week was worth it to us. My wife could stream her news programming on her laptop while I did Important Computer Stuff (TM) on my laptop, read ebooks on my tablet or Kindle, and used my phone for texting and Wi-Fi voice calls. Tell me WE don't know how to relax!

1 hour ago, IPB4IGO said:

The Navigator app is completely different from Internet pricing. You don't need an Internet package to use the Navigator app while aboard, including the links to the New York Times and other external sites.

Yes, but the information that was originally posted in Post #24 implied that you needed the Navigator app (which I have) to access the Internet package, so I am confused. Thank you for the pricing information, though. We have had the Internet package in the past, but it was before the Navigator app existed. Would like to avoid the "kicking the other device off" when using a 2nd device, so will probably get the upgrade to the more than one device plan.

Edited by PSR

On 7/17/2022 at 1:28 PM, kazu said:

There are 3 internet packages -  Social, Surf & Premium.

The Surf is only good for things like FB - not email or internet.

the Premium is supposed to be faster than the Surf and theoretically permits streaming while the Surf does not.  The Premium also has more mb allowed.

The number of MB allowed just means it slows down - you don’t get cut off - at least not in my experience.

I believe these rates are still applicable on the ships:

D79BB715-61A3-4550-9778-87F5215D326E.png.119755ce05c5a5b86d902892b690c91a.png

the only one offered to purchase pre-cruise is the premium package (which is at a discount)

If there are 2 in the cabin and you both have an internet package and both log in on one device each with your own log in.

Otherwise it is one device at a time.  So for example you can log in on any of  your Ipad, smart phone, laptop, etc but you can  only use one device at a time.

If there are two of you and only 1 internet package then only 1 person can be on at a time.

Hope this helps a bit 🤞 

Hi Jacqui -

We are on a 17 day cruise from San Diego to FLL thru the Panama Canal in October.  We were going to book the surf package which according to the pricing looks to be $179.99 because all we really do is check emails and surf the web.    Our reservation has the option to only prebook the premium package at $212.   No option to book the surf package early at a discount.    So it looks to be only another $32 if we booked the premium before we get on the ship.    Is it worth the extra less than $2 a day to get the premium package or should I save that money and just wait and book the surf package once we are on the ship.   I know you have a ton of cruise experience and hopefully you can give me your advice on this.

Thanks much

Maryell

2 hours ago, maryandmarge said:

Hi Jacqui -

We are on a 17 day cruise from San Diego to FLL thru the Panama Canal in October.  We were going to book the surf package which according to the pricing looks to be $179.99 because all we really do is check emails and surf the web.    Our reservation has the option to only prebook the premium package at $212.   No option to book the surf package early at a discount.    So it looks to be only another $32 if we booked the premium before we get on the ship.    Is it worth the extra less than $2 a day to get the premium package or should I save that money and just wait and book the surf package once we are on the ship.   I know you have a ton of cruise experience and hopefully you can give me your advice on this.

Thanks much

Maryell

The premium package will give you more mg that in theory means your internet won’t slow down as fast.

How well it works is debatable depending on ship location, cliffs, obstacles and the satellite.

,Premium will cost you more on board if you wait.  Surf will do everything you want but it will slow down (not shut off) when you run out of the mg.

I guess it depends on how many emails and internet usage you need.  I tend to do LIVE threads - so yes, I would probably do it but what is right for me may not be right for you 😉 

I haven’t cruised since B.C. (Before Covid) so my experiences are not recent.  I’ll find out soon enough in November, God willing 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kazu said:

The premium package will give you more mg that in theory means your internet won’t slow down as fast.

How well it works is debatable depending on ship location, cliffs, obstacles and the satellite.

,Premium will cost you more on board if you wait.  Surf will do everything you want but it will slow down (not shut off) when you run out of the mg.

I guess it depends on how many emails and internet usage you need.  I tend to do LIVE threads - so yes, I would probably do it but what is right for me may not be right for you 😉 

I haven’t cruised since B.C. (Before Covid) so my experiences are not recent.  I’ll find out soon enough in November, God willing 😉 

Thanks so much for your reply,    i think since the cost is so minimal (less than $2 a day) we'll go ahead and prepay the premium internet.      Hope you are able to cruise in November!!  

• Like 2