Apple Air Tags for luggage tracking

mljatsea

9 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I’m quite interested in getting some of the apple AirTags but it says that they run on lithium batteries and the air Canada site says you can’t put anything in your checked luggage with lithium batteries… are they just so small that they won’t be confiscated? 

The size of the battery is well below the airline restriction limits - at least in the U.S.  

Googling I found this

Are AirTags allowed on airplanes?

An AirTag uses Bluetooth to send a secure and anonymous signal to other Apple devices on the Find My network to register its physical location. Since an AirTag doesn't use cellular, AirTags are allowed on airplanes without having to power them down or remove their battery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

It's 25 feet from ANY iPhone, not your own. So, yes, you can see where your bag is from another country if anybody with an iPhone is within 25 ft of your bag.

Alright, so bear with me here.  I have an Android; S22 Ultra.  If I get these luggage trackers and have the "FindMy" app, I can track where my luggage is by a nearby IPhone that is within approx. 25 feet from my actual bag even though I'm in Orlando but my bag is in NYC; is that what you're saying?

Just now, Surfguyxxx said:

Alright, so bear with me here.  I have an Android; S22 Ultra.  If I get these luggage trackers and have the "FindMy" app, I can track where my luggage is by a nearby IPhone that is within approx. 25 feet from my actual bag even though I'm in Orlando but my bag is in NYC; is that what you're saying?

Apple air tags only work with Apple phones.  There are other tags for other phone types.  Remember, if you use the tile (Android) or the Samsung brand, it only works if the same type  phones that  are near your luggage. 

6 minutes ago, Surfguyxxx said:

I would agree with that if you had an iPhone. Since you have an Android, I really don't know. But in a nutshell, that's my understanding of how the technology works.

13 minutes ago, Missymo said:

Apple air tags only work with Apple phones.  There are other tags for other phone types.  Remember, if you use the tile (Android) or the Samsung brand, it only works if the same type  phones that  are near your luggage. 

They will work with iPads. A lot of people with Android phones have an  iPad. They will also work with modern Mac computers. I know plenty of Android phone users who have a Mac.

Edited by Charles4515

Someone pointed out earlier that there is a way you can use AirTags on an Android - but have to install a couple apps -

You can't set up AirTags using an Android device, but you can use the Tracker Detect app to track an AirTag with Android. To find a lost AirTag with an Android device, install a Bluetooth scanner and look for an unnamed Bluetooth device manufactured by Apple, Inc.

By the way I used one of mine today.   I was at the Doctors and a huge parking lot.  Forgot where I left the car.  so opened up FindMy App and it showed me exactly where I was and where the car was.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

By the way I used one of mine today.   I was at the Doctors and a huge parking lot.  Forgot where I left the car.  so opened up FindMy App and it showed me exactly where I was and where the car was.

If you use CarPlay or pair your iPhone with Bluetooth your car’s location will show on Apple Maps. I have found my parked car several times that way. Didn’t need an AirTag. Did that 6 weeks ago at Globe Life Field. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

If you use CarPlay or pair your iPhone with Bluetooth your car’s location will show on Apple Maps. I have found my parked car several times that way. Didn’t need an AirTag. Did that 6 weeks ago at Globe Life Field. 

Yea... that happend to us with our rental car in the UK.   Really like CarPlay -  Unfortunately our car does not have Car Play so I have to depend on a $25 device instead of buying a new car.  

I loved how you could just plug you Iphone in and everything worked seamlessly - especially navigation.

29 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yea... that happend to us with our rental car in the UK.   Really like CarPlay -  Unfortunately our car does not have Car Play so I have to depend on a $25 device instead of buying a new car.  

I loved how you could just plug you Iphone in and everything worked seamlessly - especially navigation.

I have had it on a car I bought two years ago and don’t think I could live without it now. I do plan to get another set of 4 AirTags in a few months and I might drop one of those in the car. The first 4 are in use. I happen to have a wallet that has room, most would not have room in a wallet, and when I got somewhere without my wallet I was able to see I left it at home. So I didn’t get stressed out. One night I tripped over a curb, there were no streetlights and my keys popped out of pocket. It was pitch black. With the precision find Find My on my iPhone it pointed straight to the keys. They had landed a lot farther than I would have thought.  

I have 8 AirTags.

purse, purse, beach bag, gym bag, keys, lunch bag, bike, luggage.

I use them frequently. My dad borrowed my truck one day but the. Couldn’t remember what he did keys afterward.  Ping the sound and I found the. In seconds. No stress.

I intend to get more for my other piece of carryon luggage, one to leave in vehicle, One for hiking bag and one for school keys.

and a four pack for my father for his things as he seems to be getting g a little forgetful.

so many uses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1