Bringing soda on board

I have never brought soda on board any ship.  But in September a friend and I are on Adventure for a New England/Canada cruise.  We both recently became Diamond so we get our 4 drinks per day.  On this cruise we will be off the ship every day we are at a port.  I like a soda with my lunch and dinner and checked the soda package which is $8.99 a day.  I read where I can bring a 12 pack of soda on the ship which would be perfect...and cheaper...for me.  My question is do I put it in my luggage or do I have to carry it on the ship?  I don't want to carry it on since it is a few hours after we board before we can get into our cabins.  I would be okay bringing an additional small luggage to put the soda in that I would have delivered to my cabin.  Anyone have experience with this who can let me know how to do this?

Definitely want to have soda, wine or water bottles in Carry on.     

Otherwise your luggage will get tagged and you would have down to guest services to retrieve it.    Which can be a pain if there is a long line on boarding day.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 1

If you keep it in your checked luggage and it gets sent down to The Naughty Room, you have to go fetch it and bring it back to your room on your own anyway. 

Much better to use a small rolling bag that you carry-on yourself.  Or a foldable bag that you can attach to your rolling carry-on bag.  

Rooms are open between 1:00 and 2:00, so you don't have to drag it behind you for very long. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Honestly for $8 a day, and the convenience of never having to carry or get your soda in the room, which does not really have a full refridgerator, is just too much hassle.  

Yes you have to carry it on the ship, and lug it around until you get to your room....but if you drink one or two while waiting for you room, it gets lighter

Edited by Joseph2017China

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Honestly for $8 a day, and the convenience of never having to carry or get your soda in the room, which does not really have a full refridgerator, is just too much hassle.  

Yes you have to carry it on the ship, and lug it around until you get to your room....but if you drink one or two while waiting for you room, it gets lighter

It also depends on if they carry your desired soda, or if you'd be happier with a different brand (or if you don't like fountain drinks).  Some people don't like Coke brand products, and would be better off bringing their preferred soda with them.

10 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

I get it but we are doing the New England/Canada cruise for 9 nights so most days we will be off the ship.  I don't think I need to keep it cold I assume I can just take a cup and fill it with ice.  

Eh, it's more than a couple dollars you save by bringing your own sodas.  For a week, after you add in tax and gratuity, you're close to $70 -- for one person.  A 12-pack goes on sale pretty much every other week for $3-5 at home.  That savings is worth a little effort.  

I am fussy about soda.  I'll eat almost anything you put in front of me (except Bleu Cheese -- nasty stuff), but I am particular about what I drink.

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, soremekun said:

Does the bottle and can redemption center on Deck 1 pay 5 or 10 cents per container?

OMG, I lived in Michigan since before it enacted the 10-cents-per-container deposit back in 1976, so paying a deposit and returning empties is a way of life for me.  I moved to Illinois last year, and it still seems SO DANG WRONG to toss empties into the trash!!! 

(The podunk town I live in doesn't have recycling, either, and I am used to single-stream recycling pickup at home, boo.  Lots of changes when moving from one area to another after half a century in one region!)

• Like 1

I have a small carry on rolling bag. I bring soda and water. I have taken a whole suitcase I rolled on with nothing but tons of water and soda. Was for 3 cabins. They never cared if it was for one cabin or not. 

19 minutes ago, renza said:

I have a small carry on rolling bag. I bring soda and water. I have taken a whole suitcase I rolled on with nothing but tons of water and soda. Was for 3 cabins. They never cared if it was for one cabin or not. 

Luck. Watched multiple Passengers stopped at Port Miami, Ft Lauderdale and Boston on my last Cruises. At first two of these watched as 2 different passengers walked their Bag filled with Water back to there Car. This just a couple Months ago where they Counted to 12

Edited by ONECRUISER

I cruise at least 4 times a year being i live in south Florida. Never once have they cared. Even at ports u can carry on a case of water and they don’t care. I am leaving in 2 weeks for my 4th cruise this year and will do it again. You are allowed to carry on a 12 pack of soda or water per cabin regardless. So if someone was stopped for too much water or soda at the port they can pick up some at any stop and can get water to bring on again. 

Edited by renza