Availability of Chocolate Milk

lisa928

My daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. For low blood sugars, especially in the middle of the night, we use chocolate milk to bring up her glucose.  Will I be able to access chocolate milk to keep in the room mini fridge, preferably sealed so it will stay fresh and not be suspectable to spillage?   I would not be opposed to bringing it with me but I think liquids are restricted, although maybe I could get an exception with her medical condition.  

1 minute ago, lisa928 said:

My daughter was recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. For low blood sugars, especially in the middle of the night, we use chocolate milk to bring up her glucose.  Will I be able to access chocolate milk to keep in the room mini fridge, preferably sealed so it will stay fresh and not be suspectable to spillage?   I would not be opposed to bringing it with me but I think liquids are restricted, although maybe I could get an exception with her medical condition.  

I often see small containers of it at the buffet in the morning 

Edited by Laszlo

57 minutes ago, lisa928 said:

Given your specific medical situation, I'd suggest contacting the Special Needs/Access Desk at NCL about this.  That way, they'll already be aware of your need for these little containers, and can (hopefully!) keep some set aside for you or even deliver a few every day or couple of days (depending upon expiration dates, etc.) to keep in your mini-fridge.

We have found all cruiselines (of those we've been on, of course!) to be extremely helpful about any special/medical needs that they are able to help with.

Enjoy your cruise!

GC

• Like 4

Hi

We’ve traveled to Europe many times with our five kids including our type one diabetic son (diagnosed when he was 10 yrs old) now he is 28 years old. Are you traveling to Europe from the US? Or is the cruise in the Caribbean or Bahamas? Time Zone changes can change the way she reacts, so lows or highs can occur at different times than normal. Sometime my son will go low in the middle of a transatlantic flight. 
We always carry snacks just in case. 

Chocolate milk is a good choice but if refrigeration is limited….

We always kept good chocolate candies on hand. We used Dove chocolate ( as brand example) as it seemed to both raise and stabilize his blood sugar. The darker chocolate is lower in carbs but seemed to work better. We just referred to the carbs per serving and gave him an appropriate amount. The chocolates are easy to carry in a mini insulated bag in a purse or backpack. Sometimes he’d go low as we were driving or walking around in Europe and the chocolate was a blessing.

Make sure you don’t forget any of her supplies at home! Make a list of everything. Check it twice!

My brother-in-law (also type 1) got on a flight to the UK then realized he only had his daypack of insulin and testing supplies. In the UK, pharmacies often have emergency diabetic supplies, so he was able to buy one of those. But brands vary and we’ve found it difficult to find exactly what we needed. My son dropped his syringe and the Spanish replacement had a one inch needle.
Of course, hand carry all her diabetic supplies, don’t pack in a checked bag.

Hope y’all have a great cruise!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hudi76 said:

Hi

We’ve traveled to Europe many times with our five kids including our type one diabetic son (diagnosed when he was 10 yrs old) now he is 28 years old. Are you traveling to Europe from the US? Or is the cruise in the Caribbean or Bahamas? Time Zone changes can change the way she reacts, so lows or highs can occur at different times than normal. Sometime my son will go low in the middle of a transatlantic flight. 
We always carry snacks just in case. 

Chocolate milk is a good choice but if refrigeration is limited….

We always kept good chocolate candies on hand. We used Dove chocolate ( as brand example) as it seemed to both raise and stabilize his blood sugar. The darker chocolate is lower in carbs but seemed to work better. We just referred to the carbs per serving and gave him an appropriate amount. The chocolates are easy to carry in a mini insulated bag in a purse or backpack. Sometimes he’d go low as we were driving or walking around in Europe and the chocolate was a blessing.

Make sure you don’t forget any of her supplies at home! Make a list of everything. Check it twice!

My brother-in-law (also type 1) got on a flight to the UK then realized he only had his daypack of insulin and testing supplies. In the UK, pharmacies often have emergency diabetic supplies, so he was able to buy one of those. But brands vary and we’ve found it difficult to find exactly what we needed. My son dropped his syringe and the Spanish replacement had a one inch needle.
Of course, hand carry all her diabetic supplies, don’t pack in a checked bag.

Hope y’all have a great cruise!

Thanks this is very helpful.  We are leaving out of the US and doing the Caribbean but I will remember your note about time zone changes for future vacations.  My daughter is 13 and she was only diagnosed 2 months ago so we have learned a lot.  We still have a lot to master but are determined to make this cruise in November work.  Your suggestion of the chocolates is a good one and easy to bring on.  I never thought I would need to wake up my teenage kids in the middle of the night to eat!  I will be sure to triple check my her suppliers and have backups for the backups, maybe even spread across multiple bags.  🙂

• Like 1

As long as it is medically necessary.  You should have no problem bringing onboard your own factory sealed individual serving chocolate milk. Just reach out to special needs dept. I would not leave it up to room service if you should need to have it ASAP.  Also, the cruise lines have been having shortages lately of various products due to supply chain issues.  Another reason to bring on your own supply’s.

I Wish you and your family safe travels….

Edited by Clambake77

Normal stock on our last cruise out of Miami in April. If there are items for sale in your mini fridge, ask your room steward to empty it. Ask for it in the buffet on your first day for the first night. 
6EC4B77A-4EE2-4D33-AB88-880C692D67A1.thumb.jpeg.d0443d23021ceec5083f2803a6fffab3.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels

On 7/20/2022 at 2:16 PM, JeninIndy said:

You can also request it via the free room service breakfast delivery and keep it in your fridge.

On 7/20/2022 at 1:53 PM, lisa928 said:

Just got off Joy, we had chocolate milk delivered to our room with our breakfast every morning.  If you want to be safe, order multiple chocolate milks with each breakfast order

T1D since age 5.  I travel extensively, and time-zones are often a challenge.

In my experience, it's super easy to over-correct a low as you learn how her body responds, and then you're fighting a roller coaster.

Instead of milk, could I suggest some quick-sugar snacks -- fruit snacks, jelly beans - that you can give her a couple at a time.  Like total of 6-10, tops.  Follow up with a protein snack to stabilize, like peanut butter crackers.  The protein will take the 'top' off the sugar rush, and smooth out the tail.

I just contacted guest services and received a medical form. I’ve T1 54 years. I always ask for a sharps container and chocolate milk. My go to as well because the of th  protein as well. But I also carry Dex tabs. Quick sugar. Good luck. A lot to learn. And next vacation you will have it down with ease 

gracelyn 

Also, if you contact the NCL Access Department a regular (small) refrigerator can also be supplied. The "mini-fridge" that is standard in the cabins is not actually a refrigerator that cools to a certain temperature if you need to refrigerate meds.  The unit that the Access Department will supply is the "real thing."

On 7/30/2022 at 12:11 AM, pcakes122 said:

Also, if you contact the NCL Access Department a regular (small) refrigerator can also be supplied. The "mini-fridge" that is standard in the cabins is not actually a refrigerator that cools to a certain temperature if you need to refrigerate meds.  The unit that the Access Department will supply is the "real thing."

This is a great tip! The mini fridges in the cabins are "cool" at best, certainly not cold. Good to know they have colder ones for those in need.

To OP, I've always grabbed a couple extra cartons of milk from the buffet at breakfast and bring them back to my room. I also grab a plate full of cookies from the buffet before bed. This way if I'm in the room and feel like a little snack anytime during the day, I can have milk and cookies handy LOL

• Like 1