FCC/OBC dispute question

caterpa

I am posting in the hopes that some of you can be of some help.  I have gone through the usual channels at NCL and haven't gotten the replies I was hoping for yet.

I had an issue with my account on my recent Gem Adriatic cruise July 3rd. 

So where it started...... was unable to my cruise in 2019 and a subsequent cruise in 2020.  I was issued an FCC.  in February, I was finally able to book a cruise for myself and my 6 family members into 3 cabins on the Gem July 3rd-10th.  We had a fabulous time and would do it again in a second!

So, the issue.......After  my cabins were booked and paid for, I had an $1149.89 FCC left.  I was expecting to be available on the cruise as an onboard credit as that is what my account said on the NCL website after I booked my cruise before departure.  I have enclosed a picture below.   I was told by guest relations, after I raised the question onboard as to why it wasn't reflected on my onboard account, that this was to be spent before the cruise only.  It was not available as an onboard credit as my account suggested.  The issue is, if I had known this prior, I would have used it to prebook excursions, upgrade my room, bought a better drink package etc.  Yet since my account summary said 'onboard credit', I figured I'd keep it and use it onboard for the above items and decide on excursions and drinks, photos and the like when I got underway.  I was never informed that the account summary I could access was misleading, incorrect etc. at any time.  In fact they told me the opposite.

You can imagine my shock when the credit wasn't there during my cruise when I looked at my folio.  This was a substantial amount I was hoping would be available to me.  

I brought my concerns up onboard with guest relations.  I showed them my account summary below.   They understood my confusion but sent me to the onboard Cruise Next people to assist.  I did that. Cruise Next then directed me to call corporate as they couldn't help me resolve this while onboard.  I did call. Many times.  I even asked to use the 'at sea' Guest relations phone to call and they told me that wasn't allowed currently. I was really hoping then to get resolution before the cruise ended suspecting that was my best option for resolving the issue. Since returning, I went thru the dispute process with NCL and they said this wasn't meant to be available as onboard credit just FCC.  I was like, what?  My summary says 'onboard credit'. How can that be read any other way?

In order to demonstrate my case, I refer you again to the photo below. Taken from my phone of my account summary.  This was taken while I was onboard.  I am sure that you can see how I'd be confused.  There is really only one way to read this as available to me onboard.  It says just that. I get it that it also says FCC.  But I assumed that was simply the name for the reason I was credited and not an expressed limitation on it available uses.

Bottom line, I'd like this money to be refunded.  Either in the form of a check or a CC credit. 

I cannot afford to simply let this FCC sit in my NCL account as I did with my prior missed cruises, or I would have. We have taken a number of cruises in the past and really enjoyed this one, but this ongoing issue has me upset I can't get resolution to my satisfaction.  I feel that I am in the right on this.  I was surprised that they didn't see my side of things and look to resolve this in the fairest way when I received a dispute resolution email not top my liking today.  I did decide to email a similar summary to Katty Byrd at NCL hoping she could help perhaps?

Anyone have any better ideas?  Am I being unreasonable here?

image.thumb.png.2247022b5a848705031010ccaba24bc6.png

6 hours ago, caterpa said:
I am posting in the hopes that some of you can be of some help.  I have gone through the usual channels at NCL and haven't gotten the replies I was hoping for yet.

I had an issue with my account on my recent Gem Adriatic cruise July 3rd. 

So where it started...... was unable to my cruise in 2019 and a subsequent cruise in 2020.  I was issued an FCC.  in February, I was finally able to book a cruise for myself and my 6 family members into 3 cabins on the Gem July 3rd-10th.  We had a fabulous time and would do it again in a second!

So, the issue.......After  my cabins were booked and paid for, I had an $1149.89 FCC left.  I was expecting to be available on the cruise as an onboard credit as that is what my account said on the NCL website after I booked my cruise before departure.  I have enclosed a picture below.   I was told by guest relations, after I raised the question onboard as to why it wasn't reflected on my onboard account, that this was to be spent before the cruise only.  It was not available as an onboard credit as my account suggested.  The issue is, if I had known this prior, I would have used it to prebook excursions, upgrade my room, bought a better drink package etc.  Yet since my account summary said 'onboard credit', I figured I'd keep it and use it onboard for the above items and decide on excursions and drinks, photos and the like when I got underway.  I was never informed that the account summary I could access was misleading, incorrect etc. at any time.  In fact they told me the opposite.

You can imagine my shock when the credit wasn't there during my cruise when I looked at my folio.  This was a substantial amount I was hoping would be available to me.  

I brought my concerns up onboard with guest relations.  I showed them my account summary below.   They understood my confusion but sent me to the onboard Cruise Next people to assist.  I did that. Cruise Next then directed me to call corporate as they couldn't help me resolve this while onboard.  I did call. Many times.  I even asked to use the 'at sea' Guest relations phone to call and they told me that wasn't allowed currently. I was really hoping then to get resolution before the cruise ended suspecting that was my best option for resolving the issue. Since returning, I went thru the dispute process with NCL and they said this wasn't meant to be available as onboard credit just FCC.  I was like, what?  My summary says 'onboard credit'. How can that be read any other way?

In order to demonstrate my case, I refer you again to the photo below. Taken from my phone of my account summary.  This was taken while I was onboard.  I am sure that you can see how I'd be confused.  There is really only one way to read this as available to me onboard.  It says just that. I get it that it also says FCC.  But I assumed that was simply the name for the reason I was credited and not an expressed limitation on it available uses.

Bottom line, I'd like this money to be refunded.  Either in the form of a check or a CC credit. 

I cannot afford to simply let this FCC sit in my NCL account as I did with my prior missed cruises, or I would have. We have taken a number of cruises in the past and really enjoyed this one, but this ongoing issue has me upset I can't get resolution to my satisfaction.  I feel that I am in the right on this.  I was surprised that they didn't see my side of things and look to resolve this in the fairest way when I received a dispute resolution email not top my liking today.  I did decide to email a similar summary to Katty Byrd at NCL hoping she could help perhaps?

Anyone have any better ideas?  Am I being unreasonable here?

image.thumb.png.2247022b5a848705031010ccaba24bc6.png

Appears to clearly be a FCC with a specific sail by date.  The portion where it states "Onboard Credit" seems to be totally unrelated and an IT glitch.  Also, this isn't associated with a specific sailing (as noted by "You currently have no cruise reservations" , this is just your account summary.  You can escalate and complain, however NCL in this case is solid in their handling of the situation.

22 minutes ago, ccc321 said:

I se it as you do.  Although it is under the heading fcc, it does say onboard credit.  I would read it as being able to use it as either

I disagree. I think there is an FCC heading with the FCC information beneath it. This is followed by an OBC heading with no information beneath it...indicating that there is no OBC involved.

Had there been an FCC, there would have been information below both headings.

The OP misunderstood. Everyone simply gave the OP an answer that he didn't want to hear, but there is no OBC credit here.

This is fro NCL policy on fcc. 

s there anything the FCC cannot be used for?

• The FCC cannot be applied or used for the following:
    • Amenities
    • Dining/beverage packages that are not part of the Free At Sea program
    • Internet packages that are not part of the Free At Sea program
    • Shore excursions booked while onboard
    • Onboard credit
    • Water/soda packages
    • Bottles of wine
    • Bon voyage gifts and celebration packages
    • Photo packages
  • Like 2

Sorry OP...a few of the folks above me are right. You do have every right to be royally pissed as it's super misleading, but this seems to be NCL's way of doing things. Confuse, confuse, promise, obfuscate, confuse, then not care anymore.

You just gave Frankie boy Del Rio a grand. 

Now, take a breath, take that grand out of Frankie boy's pocket, stop hating NCL, and book yourself a cruise before 12/31. Use that FCC and enjoy yourself!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

I disagree. I think there is an FCC heading with the FCC information beneath it. This is followed by an OBC heading with no information beneath it...indicating that there is no OBC involved.

Had there been an FCC, there would have been information below both headings.

The OP misunderstood. Everyone simply gave the OP an answer that he didn't want to hear, but there is no OBC credit here.

Sorry, the middle paragraph above should read:

"Had there been an OBC, there would have been information below both headings."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ccc321 said:

I se it as you do.  Although it is under the heading fcc, it does say onboard credit.  I would read it as being able to use it as either

1 hour ago, purplecow15 said:

This is fro NCL policy on fcc. 

s there anything the FCC cannot be used for?

• The FCC cannot be applied or used for the following:
    • Amenities
    • Dining/beverage packages that are not part of the Free At Sea program
    • Internet packages that are not part of the Free At Sea program
    • Shore excursions booked while onboard
    • Onboard credit
    • Water/soda packages
    • Bottles of wine
    • Bon voyage gifts and celebration packages
    • Photo packages

So clearly contradictory instructions.  I would think @purplecow15citation would govern here but it said OBC on the system so there's an argument to be made.  A letter on an attorney's letterhead might cause them to reconsider but you'd probably spend more than it's worth.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.  To address one point of @SeaShark, I don't think there needs to be anything under the OBC line.  All of that text is to the right of the dollar amount.  If that OBC text was to the left of the rest of it, in line with the 1149.89, Id agree with you.  But it isn't. I could be convinced you are correct if it said, $0 or n/a or something to denote that there wasn't anything there. But that isnt the case.

@Funky Fusion FoodsJIf it's an IT glitch as postulated, that's on them to honor it.  Just as it is with any business. Their 'glitch' was responsible for this entire misunderstanding.  

The reason it states 'you have no bookings' was because I was on my cruise when I pulled that photo from the website after I noticed there was no credit on board.  It was the same text when I had the booking but hadn't yet boarded.  And it showed my pending cruise then.

At this point I think it is on them to honor it even if they never intended it to be OBC.  I made decisions on that basis that I wouldn't have made had that not been there.  Thats all I am saying.  If I had understood it to be only available prior to cruising I would have upgraded my cabin prior and enjoyed to cruise from an aft balcony or whatever.  

16 minutes ago, caterpa said:

Thanks for all the replies.  To address one point of @SeaShark, I don't think there needs to be anything under the OBC line.  All of that text is to the right of the dollar amount.  If that OBC text was to the left of the rest of it, in line with the 1149.89, Id agree with you.  But it isn't. I could be convinced you are correct if it said, $0 or n/a or something to denote that there wasn't anything there. But that isnt the case.

@Funky Fusion FoodsJIf it's an IT glitch as postulated, that's on them to honor it.  Just as it is with any business. Their 'glitch' was responsible for this entire misunderstanding.  

The reason it states 'you have no bookings' was because I was on my cruise when I pulled that photo from the website after I noticed there was no credit on board.  It was the same text when I had the booking but hadn't yet boarded.  And it showed my pending cruise then.

At this point I think it is on them to honor it even if they never intended it to be OBC.  I made decisions on that basis that I wouldn't have made had that not been there.  Thats all I am saying.  If I had understood it to be only available prior to cruising I would have upgraded my cabin prior and enjoyed to cruise from an aft balcony or whatever.  

The problem here is that you are only willing to hear what you WANT to hear...not what is accurate. Everyone from NCL told you the same thing that their website also confirms. Perhaps you should ask asked and gotten confirmation before your cruise instead of just assuming. It isn't up to them to "honor it" since "it" is totally based on your incorrect assumption.

You have to take this as "lesson learned" and move on.

22 minutes ago, caterpa said:

At this point I think it is on them to honor it even if they never intended it to be OBC.  I made decisions on that basis that I wouldn't have made had that not been there.  Thats all I am saying. 

15 hours ago, caterpa said:

The issue is, if I had known this prior, I would have used it to prebook excursions, upgrade my room, bought a better drink package etc.  Yet since my account summary said 'onboard credit', I figured I'd keep it and use it onboard for the above items and decide on excursions and drinks, photos and the like when I got underway. 

Just curious.....why would you want to decide later (onboard) vs. deciding earlier? 

2 hours ago, caterpa said:

They're not going to honor it. The terms and conditions of the FCC are the bible that NCL will go by, if you're not reading and comprehending that (which do change), then you're SOL.

Feel free to spend time escalating it, and I hope you're successful, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

I'm with the OP on this.  It's confusing and can be interpreted multiple ways.  Since NCL wrote it,  it's their responsibility that it's clear and cannot be interpreted any other way.  Even if it's a bs line like "FCX can only be used for ..... but as a courtesy we'll make a one time exception."

More importantly,  things like this must ALWAYS be resolved before you leave the ship and close the account (or hotel, airport, however you're traveling).  Once you leave, they have the upper hand.  If customer service tries to blow you off, demand (politely) to see the GM/Hotel Director.  Whatever you do, work for a solution there on the spot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, carohs said:

I'm confused. You say you can't afford to let it sit, but you also say you would have gladly spent it as OBC or upgrades. These are two contradictory statements. 

No not really.  I’m not sure I’ll be able to vacation again before the end of the year.   Also they already had ahold of my money from 2 prior cruises I was booked for and unable to take so I can’t afford to have them continue to hold my money.   Does that make sense?  Afford has different meanings than purely related to dollars. 

9 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

I'm with the OP on this.  It's confusing and can be interpreted multiple ways.  Since NCL wrote it,  it's their responsibility that it's clear and cannot be interpreted any other way.  Even if it's a bs line like "FCX can only be used for ..... but as a courtesy we'll make a one time exception."

More importantly,  things like this must ALWAYS be resolved before you leave the ship and close the account (or hotel, airport, however you're traveling).  Once you leave, they have the upper hand.  If customer service tries to blow you off, demand (politely) to see the GM/Hotel Director.  Whatever you do, work for a solution there on the spot.

Yeah I probably should have escalated it while onboard and I thought I did in a way but I should have gone higher than the customer service representative in charge at the desk at the time I suppose.  

I did go higher this time by submitting my concerns to Kathy Byrd.  But I agree, getting them to resolve it while onboard, my original goal, would have been ideal. 

11 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Just curious.....why would you want to decide later (onboard) vs. deciding earlier? 

Because I wanted to be able to have options with what I spent it on I guess. Easier to figure out what you need/want while on the cruise than anticipating it before hand.. At least for me. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SeaShark said:

The problem here is that you are only willing to hear what you WANT to hear...not what is accurate. Everyone from NCL told you the same thing that their website also confirms. Perhaps you should ask asked and gotten confirmation before your cruise instead of just assuming. It isn't up to them to "honor it" since "it" is totally based on your incorrect assumption.

You have to take this as "lesson learned" and move on.

Not everyone from NCL told me the same thing actually. The only person that told me what I didn’t want to hear was the corporate NCL person that processed my complaint and dispute file. 

In fact, the desk representative on the Gem actually told me he agreed with me.  That that is how he’d have read it too. But also told me he didn’t have the power to make the change needed.  That it needed to come from corporate.  So he gave me dispute case number to file and refer to.  

19 hours ago, SeaShark said:

"Had there been an OBC, there would have been information below both headings."

That makes no sense for the screen layout shown.

What you are saying is the $1149.89 could potentially be multiple forms of credit (FCC and OBC at the least).  If that is true, then, it should have indicated under the FCC heading just how much of the credit was FCC and presumably state under OBC $0.   That screen doesn't communicate anything like that.

This really looks like an screwup on the IT side, a bug in what information is being displayed.  I agree the OP has a very legitimate complaint.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PATRLR said:

What you are saying is the $1149.89 could potentially be multiple forms of credit (FCC and OBC at the least).  If that is true, then, it should have indicated under the FCC heading just how much of the credit was FCC and presumably state under OBC $0.   That screen doesn't communicate anything like that.

This really looks like an screwup on the IT side, a bug in what information is being displayed.  I agree the OP has a very legitimate complaint.

It actually makes perfect sense to anyone who is honestly trying to understand it in context. However, that seems to be a good excuse if you're trying to sell a certain "interpretation". It won't work, of course, but it seems like a good excuse.

"It should have indicated" is nothing more than a guess, right? You have no way of knowing what it "should have" indicated. You assume a screwup by IT, but IT just programs it to show what they are told. UAT would have marked the error for correction. It isn't IT's job to decide what to display and how to display it...that falls to the department that oversees the application.

Through this whole pandemic, any and all cancellations have been either refunded to the method of payment or to FCC....NEVER to OBC. IMHO, it will be futile to try to convince them of otherwise.

5 hours ago, PATRLR said:

Yeah this is how I see it as well. I guess we will see if anything comes of my letter to Katty Byrd.

I simply think, as a matter of principal, that we shouldn’t always simply accept explanations for customer service folks, low on the food chain,  when we believe a wrong exists.  In most cases they are paid to make these issues go away.  I’m not sure their goal is to make the customer happy with the solution.  If we simply allow them to screw us over without making a fuss then it seems to promote this ‘our way or the highway’ attitude that is more and more common in the industry. 

If this was a fight over simply 50$ I don’t think I’d be making any sort of a big deal. But it is far more than that obviously. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeaShark said:

It actually makes perfect sense to anyone who is honestly trying to understand it in context. However, that seems to be a good excuse if you're trying to sell a certain "interpretation". It won't work, of course, but it seems like a good excuse.

"It should have indicated" is nothing more than a guess, right? You have no way of knowing what it "should have" indicated. You assume a screwup by IT, but IT just programs it to show what they are told. UAT would have marked the error for correction. It isn't IT's job to decide what to display and how to display it...that falls to the department that oversees the application.

Through this whole pandemic, any and all cancellations have been either refunded to the method of payment or to FCC....NEVER to OBC. IMHO, it will be futile to try to convince them of otherwise.

I don’t think I’m trying to sell anything.  I’m simply showing you what was on my account and why I made the decisions I did.  This idea of trying to ‘sell something’ seems to imply that I am trying to game the system. Far from it.   It’s been explained. I had a certain amount of dollars available to me to spend on this cruise.   It is all about how I decided to spend it based on the information I had.  This isn’t about getting I’m not owed. 

i simply don’t agree with your assessment. Obviously.   Thanks for replying nonetheless.  

• Thanks 1