Looks like Day before testing is no more for all P&O Cruises

Trevor Fountain

Now on P&O website..

Testing requirements

For holidays from 24 July 2022

Unless otherwise communicated, all guests aged five years and over must take a lateral flow/antigen test within two days prior to embarkation of the ship. This can be at any time in the two days before or on the day of embarkation. Guests will be asked to confirm the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. Guests under five years of age are exempt from pre-travel testing.

Accepted pre-cruise lateral flow/antigen tests

Our vaccination and testing policy is reviewed on a regular basis and may be changed or enhanced at any time. In this instance, impacted guests will be contacted directly. At the time of travel, some ports may stipulate specific vaccine or testing policies for guests going ashore that differ from this policy.

We’re unable to accept guests who, within 10 days prior to the cruise, have been unwell with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 or have been in close contact with someone with confirmed or suspected COVID-19. If you’re impacted by this, you would need to call our Customer Contact Centre on 0344 338 8003 (local call charges apply) and not travel to the terminal/airport. You’ll receive a non-refundable Future Cruise Credit (FCC) to the value of the cruise and we’ll automatically refund any pre-cruise purchases made through My P&O Cruises. Please note your FCC is not ABTA or ATOL protected until a new booking is made. If you booked your cruise as part of a wider holiday package, please contact your travel provider for information relating to their policies.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trevor Fountain said:

Now on P&O website..

Testing requirements

For holidays from 24 July 2022

Unless otherwise communicated, all guests aged five years and over must take a lateral flow/antigen test within two days prior to embarkation of the ship. This can be at any time in the two days before or on the day of embarkation. Guests will be asked to confirm the test has been taken, with a negative result, as part of the pre-boarding health declaration at the cruise terminal/airport. Guests under five years of age are exempt from pre-travel testing.

Accepted pre-cruise lateral flow/antigen tests

Our vaccination and testing policy is reviewed on a regular basis and may be changed or enhanced at any time. In this instance, impacted guests will be contacted directly. At the time of travel, some ports may stipulate specific vaccine or testing policies for guests going ashore that differ from this policy.

We’re unable to accept guests who, within 10 days prior to the cruise, have been unwell with confirmed or suspected COVID-19 or have been in close contact with someone with confirmed or suspected COVID-19. If you’re impacted by this, you would need to call our Customer Contact Centre on 0344 338 8003 (local call charges apply) and not travel to the terminal/airport. You’ll receive a non-refundable Future Cruise Credit (FCC) to the value of the cruise and we’ll automatically refund any pre-cruise purchases made through My P&O Cruises. Please note your FCC is not ABTA or ATOL protected until a new booking is made. If you booked your cruise as part of a wider holiday package, please contact your travel provider for information relating to their policies.

Is this any different to the previous statement.?

I'm loosing track !

And just who is going to bother testing at all.  You just state you have had a test and are fine.  Just the same as before when nobody ever declared that they had a tummy upset.  Mine you I think it's a good move.  Saves a lot of hassle.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Billish said:

Is this any different to the previous statement.?

I'm loosing track !

Yes, you no longer need a certificate ton show the negative result.  From 24 July they accept your word regarding negative Covid test, just as they have always done with the health questionnaire.

• Like 2

I agree that the testing has not prevented the spread on ships (or elsewhere)  because the virus is dormant (undetected) for a while and is then very infectious. Testing helped but it felt to me like a losing battle. Vaccinations and natural immunity have been the life savers and preventing serious illness and for that I am very thankful.

So the big issue now is that the virus will still be around for a while but it seems and restrictions are continued to be relaxed. To me this means that the next step will be the removal of quarantine cabins to allow full capacity cruising but what happens if you have Covid then? Confined to your own cabin (an Inside for x days) or still free to roam and infect others. I could see a lot of angry people demanding refunds if their paid up cruise suddenly reverted to either of those rules but sailing at reduced capacity cannot go on and on.

• Like 3

Going on a 35 day cruise on The Ventura in December one of our ports of call will be Barbados. They still need proof of negative result.  Guessing unless this changes by then, we will still need to test on board.  Things are vague with Guadeloupe and their requirements too. 

We have had two original vaccines and the first booster in November 2021.  I am unclear whether this is sufficient as I read last week that you should have had a booster within 9 months of the end of your cruise.  We are looking at January 2023 but a bit hesitant as we do not want any further boosters.  Does anyone know any more about this?

2 minutes ago, slhw said:

We have had two original vaccines and the first booster in November 2021.  I am unclear whether this is sufficient as I read last week that you should have had a booster within 9 months of the end of your cruise.  We are looking at January 2023 but a bit hesitant as we do not want any further boosters.  Does anyone know any more about this?

I am not sure why you should have a booster within 9 months of a cruise.

The current plan is to give over 50's a further booster in Autumn. 

Having the booster is your choice, whether cruise lines allow you on their ships is their choice. In December 2021 P&O announced that unless you had the first booster you would not be allowed to board Ventura for the 35 night round trip to the Caribbean, some people did not qualify and did not go on that cruise. Who knows what 2023 will bring. 

17 minutes ago, slhw said:

You have that all wrong. Currently, if you have had the initial course of two vaccinations,  and a booster, you are fine to travel. What the requirements will be in January,  who knows.

And why not have another booster if you get the chance ? Makes no sense to refuse it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slhw said:

If you don't want to have anymore boosters, can we have them please?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slhw said:

I read last week- where? Was it P&O site or was it on Facebook? To what did the nine months refer? Was it the time between the end of your two vaccinations & the booster?  
Ooops sorry, that looks a bit severe. It’s not meant to be it’s an honest query. 

13 minutes ago, Ranchi said:

I read last week- where? Was it P&O site or was it on Facebook? To what did the nine months refer? Was it the time between the end of your two vaccinations & the booster?  
Ooops sorry, that looks a bit severe. It’s not meant to be it’s an honest query. 

If it is more than 270 days (9 months) since the last of your two initial vaccinations, you need a booster if you want to cruise.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Billish said:

If it is more than 270 days (9 months) since the last of your two initial vaccinations, you need a booster if you want to cruise.   

Yes, and there is no time limit on the date of your booster. If we end up having annual boosters and they impose a 270 time limit on boosters everyone would have a 3 month period each year in which they cannot cruise. Totally crazy

• Like 1