Late change of embarkation port

Nang

We were on the cruise that ended up in Rotterdam instead of Amsterdam yesterday. Obviously the late change was not HAL’s fault, and from our experience they tried their best to make alternate arrangements. We had transfers booked to AMS with HAL and they were running coaches to the airport so there was not a problem for us. If anything we got to Schipol earlier than if we had gone from PTA (not a bad thing with the current issues with Schipol). 

HAL also ran complimentary coaches to PTA for anyone who wanted it, so essentially there would be no difference for anyone, other than a scenic journey from Rotterdam to Amsterdam. 

These things happen sometimes, and it’s all part of the journey.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

I am curious as to what time they started embarkation. Hard to believe it was just a week ago today I had disembarked Rotterdam in Amsterdam.

I think normal time.  The ship was quiet until early afternoon when the majority of passengers had embarked.  It is interesting to notice the difference between last week and this week. This is a dining room crowd and the line to get in last night was around the corner.  There was a line up this morning for breakfast.

• Like 2

We had a similar issue in 2019 on the Zandaam.  We were supposed to disembark in Montreal at the end of the cruise but due to high waters the ship couldn't get under the bridge so we ended in Quebec City instead.  HAL gave us several options including being bused to Montreal which is what we did.  Was impressed with how quickly they pulled all this together and notified us onboard of the options.   These types of issues are beyond HALs control.  The key is good communication which is what seems to be lacking in the case of the Rotterdam for those who have yet to board.  Good luck and hope all goes well on your cruise.

Just printed out our Preliminary Boarding Pass for Sept 11 cruise.

It still says:

Embark Port/Pier: Amsterdam, The Netherlands / PASSENGER TERMINAL AMSTERDAM

Embark Date/Your Assigned Check-in Time/Group *: Sunday Sep 11 / 11:00 AM / GROUP A

Disembark Port/Pier: Amsterdam, The Netherlands / PASSENGER TERMINAL AMSTERDAM
Disembark Date/Time: Sunday Sep 18 / 8:30 AM

8 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Just printed out our Preliminary Boarding Pass for Sept 11 cruise.

It still says:

Embark Port/Pier: Amsterdam, The Netherlands / PASSENGER TERMINAL AMSTERDAM

Embark Date/Your Assigned Check-in Time/Group *: Sunday Sep 11 / 11:00 AM / GROUP A

Disembark Port/Pier: Amsterdam, The Netherlands / PASSENGER TERMINAL AMSTERDAM
Disembark Date/Time: Sunday Sep 18 / 8:30 AM

We cruise Aug 14. Our boarding pass says not yet fina.l I would not be surprised if we board in Rotterdam instead of Amsterdam.. Flights through HAL so they will take care of it.

Yes, we have flights thru HAL too, but that doesn't include transfers to/from airport, which is $39 per person each way.

So if port changed to Rotterdam, HAL's buses you back to AMS or PTA included at no extra charge, or it's $39/pp each way...?

42 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Yes, we have flights thru HAL too, but that doesn't include transfers to/from airport, which is $39 per person each way.

So if port changed to Rotterdam, HAL's buses you back to AMS or PTA included at no extra charge, or it's $39/pp each way...?

My cruise ending in Rotterdam has available a $39 transfer 

42 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

If you didn’t purchase transfers, apparently, HAL will bus you back to the Amsterdam Cruise Terminal where you will be responsible for getting back to the airport.

we are on the July 31 cruise and have not received any notification yet that we will embark in Rotterdam.  We purchased transfers so not too concerned.  In fact, this is the first time we ever purchased transfers and I’m relieved we did!  Lol

3 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

I hope we do understand each other. We both understand that you will need transportation from the airport Schiphol to the cruise terminal.  If you buy a transfer from airport to Cruise terminal in Amsterdam, HAL will take care of you even if the terminal in Amsterdam will be replaced by de cruise terminal in Rotterdam. The same for the transfer to the airport after disembarkation.

and further

I understood from passengers who disembarked last Sunday in Rotterdam, that HAL took care of their transportation to the cruise terminal in Amsterdam.  The passengers who bought transfers to Schiphol, of course were transported to Schiphol.  (What we say is: count your buttons. Transportation from the PTA Amsterdam to Schiphol takes abut the same time as Rotterdam Cruise terminal to -Schiphol....).

Everything will be different if you spend some days before or after the cruise in Amsterdam or anywhere else. For example to be sure that you arrive in time for the cruise.

Wish you wisdom with the preparations (I need it for our cruises too 🙂 but decided to enjoy every step). 

7 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

I hope we do understand each other. We both understand that you will need transportation from the airport Schiphol to the cruise terminal.  If you buy a transfer from airport to Cruise terminal in Amsterdam, HAL will take care of you even if the terminal in Amsterdam will be replaced by de cruise terminal in Rotterdam. The same for the transfer to the airport after disembarkation.

and further

I understood from passengers who disembarked last Sunday in Rotterdam, that HAL took care of their transportation to the cruise terminal in Amsterdam.  The passengers who bought transfers to Schiphol, of course were transported to Schiphol.  (What we say is: count your buttons. Transportation from the PTA Amsterdam to Schiphol takes abut the same time as Rotterdam Cruise terminal to -Schiphol....).

Everything will be different if you spend some days before or after the cruise in Amsterdam or anywhere else. For example to be sure that you arrive in time for the cruise.

Wish you wisdom with the preparations (I need it for our cruises too 🙂 but decided to enjoy every step). 

I presume our TA added the transfers when she booked the air fares. That is one of the reason I like to use cruise lines air fares. No need to worry about anything, they take care of everything

• Like 1