Shapewear

I12Cruise

Indirect answer:  To some extent, I wear my more form-fitting garments early in each cruise, as I know I will put on a bit of weight, AND be a bit more lax about exercising, as the days go by.

I have tried a couple versions of faux-spanx.  The problem has always been that the skin above and below puff out, so that is not an ideal look, either.

Good luck!  It's nice to be able to wear something you like, and have it fit well.

Thanks to both you girls for your suggestions!

Shipgeeks, you can bet I'll be wearing that dress early in the cruise for the exact reason you noted--haha! And jhsocial, thank you, too. Unfortunately, pantyhose alone don't give quite enough control. I wore the dress recently and received many compliments, so I guess I'll manage with what I have.

• Like 2

I prefer Jockey's Skimmies.  Wear them every day, all day.  They smooth me from waist to mid-thigh.  I buy a size larger than what their chart says I should wear (only because I like to breathe!).  They certainly help me "smooth over" my imperfect 60+ body.  I'd opt to try a pair before leaving on your cruise, see how you like them.  Readily available at Macy's, Target, Kohl's, online

• Like 1

Spanx are the modern classic, but I find them really uncomfortable - they're 'control top' nylons on steroids. Rago make classic shapewear (girdles, waist cinchers, etc.), but you may not want something that intense, either. 

If it's a dress that you'll be wearing, you may find a slip with some control your most comfortable option (I'm plus size, and have a Torrid shapewear slip that I plan to use for just this purpose.) 

I have some Spanx and they work well enough, but they make my butt flat.  I dont find them uncomfortable, but everyone is different obviously.  

I recently tried Skims (Nordstrom Sale), and so far I like them!  I like the fabric better, no super compression, no flat butt.  

These garments can be difficult to size IMO.  So I tend to buy a bunch of different sizes, see what works, and return the rest.  Just what works for me personally.

You could definitely try control top pantyhose...when I do that I cut the leg of the hose so that it ends above my knee. My friends and I used to call that "poor man spanx".  Lol. Same effect, less money!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CutieKakes said:

... I cut the leg of the hose so that it ends above my knee. My friends and I used to call that "poor man spanx".  Lol. Same effect, less money!

I might be wrong, but I sort of remember Oprah talking about doing the same thing lol. 

I have a fairly nice size shape wear collection. I have a couple Spanx pieces I save them for important/fancy occasion as they are expensive and hold you in like no body's business. I find myself using Maidenform brand more often and hold is really good. I love the high wasted panty. I also like the Asset brand (from Spanx) but cheaper. I also purchase less expensive pieces not for hold but to smooth out. 

On 8/3/2022 at 1:06 PM, vache said:

I have a couple Spanx pieces I save them for important/fancy occasion as they are expensive and hold you in like no body's business. I find myself using Maidenform brand more often and hold is really good. 

I completely agree. You get what you pay for with shapewear.  Spanx are "spendy" but do the job.  I've also been happy with Honeylove.   FYI:  I'm short,  in my 50's, and have birthed 4 babies, so I have a bit of a saggy belly and a wee bit of middle age flab in the back to deal with.   In my experience, nothing flattens the belly completely.  Posture definitely makes a difference too.  

• Like 1

Good luck with your search.  Recently went on a spanx or similar brand excursion that left me exhausted and in much need of a drink and ice pack when I got home.  Has anyone ever accidentally punched themselves in the face while trying to get the torture device on 🤦🏼‍♀️ Yep that happened lol.  Finally ended up with the Spanx Everyday Shaping Panty. It hugged the lower belly fluff enough so it looked less fluffy and was way more comfortable than the ones that go around the thighs or to the knees - you know, the ones you have to work up a sweat to pull back up if you have to go to the bathroom.  

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

I rarely buy form-fitting clothes any more so I don't often need to use shapewear and when I do it is very light (just enough to give a smooth line).  I'm a comfort person and believe that no one looks their best if they are hurting. I'm sure many people can wear shapewear comfortably, but I've never had much tolerance for it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Spanx underwear open at the thigh and up to bra line.  I get them a bit big so it doesn’t help my back end but smooths out the waves in the middle. I’ve invested in 3 pair so I can sink wash them for a cruise.  I do not wear them except in the evening under my dresses.