Good Trip ???.....Fiordland, Queenstown & Dunedin Overland (Double Occupancy) with Princess

We are going to cruise New Zealand with Princess in November and the first day has Fiorland National Park and in brackets Scenic cruising as our stop..

Alternatively there is a trip called Fiordland, Queenstown & Dunedin Overland which is 1200$.

I just wondered if anybody has done this cruise and what the Fiordland, Queenstown & Dunedin Overland trip is like and is it value for money or is it just as good to stay on the ship for the "scenic cruise".

Many thanks for any help

Lou

The cruising of the fiords is amazing. I am also aware that tour is very popular, although we haven't done it. For the tour, you will get a scenic cruise into Milford Sound and tender to shore there, while the rest of the passengers stay aboard  for the other fiords and a sea day around to Dunedin.

This tour is something that has caught our eye for a long time, but it is hard for us to give up a couple of nights on the ship. Both this tour and the scenic cruising of the fiords is dependent on ocean conditions at the entrance, so either option is a special experience. 

7 hours ago, Louand66 said:

We are going to cruise New Zealand with Princess in November and the first day has Fiorland National Park and in brackets Scenic cruising as our stop..

Alternatively there is a trip called Fiordland, Queenstown & Dunedin Overland which is 1200$.

I just wondered if anybody has done this cruise and what the Fiordland, Queenstown & Dunedin Overland trip is like and is it value for money or is it just as good to stay on the ship for the "scenic cruise".

Many thanks for any help

Lou

Good question, I've been looking into that.

Evidently you disembark in the fiord by small boat, travel by road or plane to an over night stay, then by road (possibly also train trip mixed in) through to Dunedin, to re-join the ship.

From what i have heard its a spectacular trip.

A group on a princess cruise some years ago mentioned they were doing it.

Can you paste the excursion details, would love to see them.

Regards

You will see Milford Sound on the way in. This is the most spectacular part of cruising in Fiordland. We haven't done the overland trip with Princess because we have travelled through the area by road independently. By doing the tour you will still see the best part of the scenic cruising. The tour has had very good reports from people who have done it

Have done this one and highly recommend it. The one we did in 2015 had overnight at Queenstown first night with a Steamship on Lake Wakatipu out of Queenstown to Walter Peak Farm tour (bbq lunch included) which was fabulous, then day two on bus to Arrowtown overnight - with included a stop at a bungy jump tower, was amazed with the amount of passengers (and their ages) who actually made the jump 😳 

Arrowtown is an old gold mining town and was very interesting too - then next day on to Dunedin to reboard the ship - was fabulous. We have been to NZ a few times before so this was something new for us.

This was actually off a Celebrity cruise, so not positive the stops will be the same, but this was our experience. 
Edit: just checked and it is this one we did!!

We have booked the 2 night Overland Hobbit tour - Trilogy of the North in December on Majestic - because, why not 😁

Below is Walter Peak Farm - just stunning 🥂

9FD211B1-BD21-46B2-A87A-B646ADF4FA08.jpeg

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/24/2022 at 3:00 PM, Porky55 said:

Have done this one and highly recommend it. The one we did in 2015 had overnight at Queenstown first night with a Steamship on Lake Wakatipu out of Queenstown to Walter Peak Farm tour (bbq lunch included) which was fabulous, then day two on bus to Arrowtown overnight - with included a stop at a bungy jump tower, was amazed with the amount of passengers (and their ages) who actually made the jump 😳 

Arrowtown is an old gold mining town and was very interesting too - then next day on to Dunedin to reboard the ship - was fabulous. We have been to NZ a few times before so this was something new for us.

This was actually off a Celebrity cruise, so not positive the stops will be the same, but this was our experience. 
Edit: just checked and it is this one we did!!

We have booked the 2 night Overland Hobbit tour - Trilogy of the North in December on Majestic - because, why not 😁

Below is Walter Peak Farm - just stunning 🥂

9FD211B1-BD21-46B2-A87A-B646ADF4FA08.jpeg

Hello! I am interested in this exact shore excursion with Celebrity, sounds beautiful and amazing.  Do you remember if you returned to the ship in Dunedin early enough to do another shore excursion in Dunedin?  I called Celebrity directly but the customer service rep didn't have that information.  Thank you!

41 minutes ago, jemdot said:

Hello! I am interested in this exact shore excursion with Celebrity, sounds beautiful and amazing.  Do you remember if you returned to the ship in Dunedin early enough to do another shore excursion in Dunedin?  I called Celebrity directly but the customer service rep didn't have that information.  Thank you!

That excursion does not arrive in Dunedin until late in the afternoon but I believe it does include a short scenic tour around Dunedin. 

16 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That excursion does not arrive in Dunedin until late in the afternoon but I believe it does include a short scenic tour around Dunedin. 

Ohh that'd be perfect.  Thanks for the reply!

On 10/6/2022 at 10:02 AM, jemdot said:

Don’t honestly recall, but pretty sure not. Think there was something we went to on the morning of our return to the ship. Still highly recommend this tour 😄