Register credit card and have PIN code

erber

I received an email from MSC discussing registration of credit card and debit card on board and it specifically mentions providing a PIN code.Screenshot_20220724-195213.thumb.png.4b743633065db1b5abe6d9c662f11db6.png

We have  registered a credit card, not a debit card, on 2 other MSC cruises and do not recall ever having to provide a PIN code.  All cruises we have taken on MSC departed from the U.S. and went to Caribbean and Mexico. Does anyone know if a PIN code somehow is now required for such cruises when using a credit card, not a debit card. If so, we will call our credit card company and select a PIN code to go with our card. 

No, when you board you need to locate one of their several kiosks where you register your card to use for onboard spending to be posted to your onboard account.  If you register using a credit card you don't need a PIN number. If you register with a debit card, you'll need to provide the kiosk with a PIN.

9 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

No, when you board you need to locate one of their several kiosks where you register your card to use for onboard spending to be posted to your onboard account.  If you register using a credit card you don't need a PIN number. If you register with a debit card, you'll need to provide the kiosk with a PIN.

Thanks for this information!

Cheers

We received an additional email from MSC with the following additional verbiage regarding registering the credit card and requiring a PIN. So this has us concerned that somehow this is a new requirement. Anyone recently on the Divina have an experience with this when registering a credit card for a Caribbean cruise departing out of Florida????Screenshot_20220726-123241.thumb.png.a15587a14739e5135fb5485b76005b65.png

As this will be our first MSC Cruise, I have a question about registering a credit card.  When I completed our check in information (passport info etc) it also let me put a credit card in that we will use for onboard expenses.  Do I still have to register at one of the kiosks?

4 hours ago, funtexascruiser said:

Do I still have to register at one of the kiosks?

Yes, you still have.

All cards in Europe (credit or debit) do have a 4 digit PIN code. So I assume they only sent out the "regular" information which is basically for their European cruises and don´t have a separate text for US cruises.

steamboats

On 7/24/2022 at 7:59 PM, erber said:

I received an email from MSC discussing registration of credit card and debit card on board and it specifically mentions providing a PIN code.Screenshot_20220724-195213.thumb.png.4b743633065db1b5abe6d9c662f11db6.png

We have  registered a credit card, not a debit card, on 2 other MSC cruises and do not recall ever having to provide a PIN code.  All cruises we have taken on MSC departed from the U.S. and went to Caribbean and Mexico. Does anyone know if a PIN code somehow is now required for such cruises when using a credit card, not a debit card. If so, we will call our credit card company and select a PIN code to go with our card. 

You need to remember that MSC is truly an international cruise line with many cruisers coming from Europe where credit cards generally use PINs...not signatures.  When we have cruised on MSC our US credit cards were no problem (no Pin was needed).

Hank

Hank, 

There is a thread on Facebook's MSC group addressing this that I just found. Apparently at least on the MSC Seashore (which currently is doing cruises out of Miami), the self serve kiosks are requiring require a PIN with a credit card. We were on that ship in February and did not have to provide a PIN so this appears to a new requirement. We are going on the Divina so we will see if we have the same issue. 

On 7/24/2022 at 7:59 PM, erber said:

It may be they are actually asking for the security code off the back of the CC if you are registering online. I've never given my pin code to anyone. My bank doesn't ask for it when dealing with them. They actually tell you not to disclose it to them. I do however have to input a pin code for chip or swipe transactions. So it might be something that you would do to verify when using the card and not actually provide to them. Canadian credit cards require a pin verification for anything over a certain amount.

23 hours ago, juraspark said:

It may be they are actually asking for the security code off the back of the CC if you are registering online. 

No, that´s called CVV and it´s only used for online transactions.

The four digit PIN code is used for all kind of machines - ATM, paying devices in supermarkets / shops / restaurants... ticket machines and many more. At those kiosks MSC is using you need the PIN (at least with a European card).

Here in Europe we also have NFC chips built in our cards and can pay contactless and without PIN up to 50 Euro. Doesn´t matter whether it´s a debit or credit card.

steamboats

As already mentioned all our cards in Europe are chip and pin now. We have a retail business with a card terminal for our customers to pay. When people present their card it asks them to enter their pin, occasionally we get a customer from the US, when they present their card it asks them to swipe it instead of a pin. I imagine MSC terminals will do the same.

On 7/27/2022 at 7:39 PM, erber said:

Hank, 

There is a thread on Facebook's MSC group addressing this that I just found. Apparently at least on the MSC Seashore (which currently is doing cruises out of Miami), the self serve kiosks are requiring require a PIN with a credit card. We were on that ship in February and did not have to provide a PIN so this appears to a new requirement. We are going on the Divina so we will see if we have the same issue. 

We will be on the Seashore in a few months so will also see if that is an issue.  Even in Europe (where we travel quite often) we have seldom been asked for a PIN.  

Hank

We've booked the transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton (with a few ports in Iceland ) next year and are requesting a PIN in anticipation of that trip just in case. As well, we plan to spend a few days in England at the end so it could be helpful. 

I am happy to report that we could register our credit card without a PIN. No problem. We have a chip card and had to put it in as a chip (not swipe)and we were asked to sign, not provide a PIN. The written directions they provided indicated a PIN is required with a debit card. I took photos of the verbiage but can't upload them now. So, rest assured, no PIN in the U.S. was required with a chip credit card.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Kroozen said:

It's been a few years since I've cruised MSC. Will they accept cash payments to go on our sea pass? Or does it have to be credit/debit? 

Yes, they accept cash payments on account, we used it in May.