Cabin Decorations and... Guilt

Swells1

So... we're travelling with a first time cruiser in a few months. She's had a rough life and this year has been no better. We're actually sailing the day after her 55th birthday and I'd like to decorate her cabin. She'll be thrilled, even if it's a day late. 

My questions are:

Has anyone here had NCL decorate their cabin?

Did you like it? 

Was it worth the price?

How much will my cabin steward hate me for requesting it on embarkation day?

Hi,

You can order a birthday package and they will decorate the room with their decorations. I have done this in the past. As for having room service, never asked. Embarkation day for a steward may be hard cause they are really busy that day. Maybe have her sit at the bar and you make an excuse that you have the runs and head to the room and decorate. Make sure you do this when you have access to the cabin.

36 minutes ago, Swells1 said:

So... we're travelling with a first time cruiser in a few months. She's had a rough life and this year has been no better. We're actually sailing the day after her 55th birthday and I'd like to decorate her cabin. She'll be thrilled, even if it's a day late. 

My questions are:

Did you like it? 

Was it worth the price?

I have done this before on embarkation day. Did it for my wife's first cruise. Believe me, doesnt take much time for them to decorate it...cabin stewert will not hate you

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Swells1 said:

Oh, thank you so much! 

Oh yea dont expect it to look like a kiss concert...will be a hanging sign, a few window sticker stuff and some balloons....also havent done this in a long time i think a snack or gift comes with some, but i havent honestly looked in a while .

42 minutes ago, Swells1 said:

My questions are:

Did you like it? 

Was it worth the price?

We had an anniversary package from our TA on one cruise. Even though it was specified for embarkation day (that was our anniversary), they didn't actually do it until day 2. It's so crazy it's not reasonable to expect them to get those special requests done the first day, they're too busy getting cabins ready.

• Like 1

I've requested different types of onboard packages & gifts for various cruises, and it was always good. The birthday balloons and streamers were simply taped to the metal ceiling. The ones advertised now look a bit different, but same idea. Cake is placed on the counter.

We have also had flowers and they are really nice. The gourmet treats section has a few items too, that might appeal to her rather than cake and streamers. You could mix and match things based on what you think she would like. If you do flowers, for example, you fill out what greeting you want on the card inserted in them, when you order. Then add some chocolate strawberries, or truffles, or cheese tray, etc. Lots of choices to make it special! ( Plus the flowers and treats don't require much effort from the steward; they are just placed on the counter).

My sister had the birthday package set up for me on embarkation day…a couple signs, balloons and a birthday cake. It was all there when I first got to my cabin - it probably took the room steward about 5 minutes to put it up!  I say GO FOR IT! Have her room decorated! If it makes her smile, you’ve made her day!

Edited by NayRN

Well on my last cruise I decorated my cabin for my husband's birthday.

I ordered this from Amazon - used the streamers and a few balloons.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SWMNR2B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also used these magnetic hooks to hang this.  I just hung it up behind our bed.  It was very festive and easy to put up and take down.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0787Q54M1?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder-t1_ypp_rep_k0_1_15&amp&crid=1E8RGZM4343AK&amp&sprefix=magnectic+hooks

I also use the hooks for my necklaces, hats, etc in the cabin.  

Your friend will love anything you do for her.

IMG_0780.jpg

• Like 3

Sister paid like $35 for abut $5 in dollar tree quality decorations in the celebration package.  It was a bland greeting card, and a couple of hanging spiral things and two balloons.

Buy your own (no glitter or confetti, please) and leave it with a tip for the room steward.  Like $1-2 for each item you want them to hang up.  Provide painters tape or scotch tape.

On our very first cruise on RCCI, we found when we boarded that our cabin had been decorated with door decorations, banners and streamers, etc.  At first we thought it might be a first timer cruise but then we noticed the decorations were most appropriate for newly weds.  Then we found a card from a TA congratulating the newly weds.  I found the cabin steward and explained that it was obvious that a mistake had been made (we'd been married 25 years).  Within minutes multiple steward descended on our room and the decorations were removed.  We later found them on the mirror image of our cabin on the other side of the ship.

2 hours ago, Sue Do-Over said:

Sister paid like $35 for abut $5 in dollar tree quality decorations in the celebration package.  It was a bland greeting card, and a couple of hanging spiral things and two balloons.

Buy your own (no glitter or confetti, please) and leave it with a tip for the room steward.  Like $1-2 for each item you want them to hang up.  Provide painters tape or scotch tape.

NO TAPE! Use magnetic hooks.

• Like 1