Holy Buckets!

Frank12

2 months ago on Freedom we got our usual bucket of beer by the pool (the normal 4 16oz cans for a savings of about $2 ).  This weekend on the Liberty a bucket was 6 cans for $45.00!!   Just FYI.

• Like 1

The price of Cheers went up, and everyone expected the regular drink prices to go up, so I guess not surprising?

What was the price of a bucket of 4 (or 6) previously?  Were those "6" beers 12oz or 16oz?  (You didn't specify, and I honestly have no idea.)

1 minute ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

The price of Cheers went up, and everyone expected the regular drink prices to go up, so I guess not surprising?

What was the price of a bucket of 4 (or 6) previously?  Were those "6" beers 12oz or 16oz?  (You didn't specify, and I honestly have no idea.)

Pre-pandemic a bucket of 4 was $22.  I believe a few months ago it was $28.00  The 6 beers were 16oz.

1 hour ago, Frank12 said:

Pre-pandemic a bucket of 4 was $22.  I believe a few months ago it was $28.00  The 6 beers were 16oz.

OK, so doing the math, the 16 oz cans were $5.50 each pre-pandemic, were $7 ea a few months ago, and are now $7.50 ea.  I guess that's in line with prices rising everywhere else, unfortunately.

I think there is still a discount, but prices have risen.  Looking here, webpage overall updated in May 2022, but updated in June 2022 for Serenity:

https://cruisespotlight.com/carnival-cruise-line-drink-menus-and-pricing/#serenity-bar

It states "save $6 on a bucket of 6".  Domestic 16oz beers are $7 before 18% grat.

So total would be $42.48 with the discount, assuming they apply 18% grat to the discounted total.

If the OP bought imports, like Corona or Stella, they are $7.50 each, final total would be $46.02 after discount & grats.

carnival-serenity-bar-menu-june-22-page-

11 hours ago, Frank12 said:

So, pre-pandemic they were 5.50, a few months ago they went to 7.00 and now they are 7.50.  Another reason to buy Cheers, but if you strictly drink beer, then the buckets or towers are the way to go.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

So, pre-pandemic they were 5.50, a few months ago they went to 7.00 and now they are 7.50.  Another reason to buy Cheers, but if you strictly drink beer, then the buckets or towers are the way to go.

I don't get how price increases of beer makes the increased price of Cheers better, all while throwing in that while on the topic of beer, Cheers is not the best value.

The "bucket of beers" comparison is how people fall for the Cheers trap. "Since a bucket is $45 and cheers is $76 for the day, I might as well do it for only a little more." Not taking into account what the other half will drink, and if you will actually drink that much again on say day 5 or any other port day. If the numbers work for you, then they work. Most people aren't slamming a bucket and more every day. Especially as a couple. 

The measure is not "can I spend $76 in drinks on the first day of vacation?" It is "will we spend $1070 in a week?"

Edited by Joebucks
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

"will we spend $1070 in a week?"

For a seven-day cruise, cost for Cheers for two is $990.38, if you pre-purchase.

And yes, we will spend that much in seven nights.  Easily.  Cheers is a bargain, for us.

But I won't be donating my liver (or kidneys or heart) for transplant.  Maybe scientific study, to understand how I lived the way I did.

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I don't get how price increases of beer makes the increased price of Cheers better, all while throwing in that while on the topic of beer, Cheers is not the best value.

The "bucket of beers" comparison is how people fall for the Cheers trap. "Since a bucket is $45 and cheers is $76 for the day, I might as well do it for only a little more." Not taking into account what the other half will drink, and if you will actually drink that much again on say day 5 or any other port day. If the numbers work for you, then they work. Most people aren't slamming a bucket and more every day. Especially as a couple. 

The measure is not "can I spend $76 in drinks on the first day of vacation?" It is "will we spend $1070 in a week?"

Once again, if you're a beer drinker, buckets or towers work.  If you are a well rounded drinker that wants variety including espresso based drinks, bottled water, alchemy drinks and the occasional shot, then Cheers is your solution.

Many people go on excursions or stay in a balcony.  Since we've cruised the Caribbean over 35 times, an inside cabin with Cheers is a good fit for us since we stay on the ship.  Obviously the occasional bucket with your cabin of choice works for you.

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

For a seven-day cruise, cost for Cheers for two is $990.38, if you pre-purchase.

And yes, we will spend that much in seven nights.  Easily.  Cheers is a bargain, for us.

But I won't be donating my liver (or kidneys or heart) for transplant.  Maybe scientific study, to understand how I lived the way I did.

Joebucks numbers aren't far off, they are short in fact. $990.38 is base, most people forget to add the additional $1/$2 per drink that many toss on top, that can be as much as an additional $30/$60 per day for a couple that drinks 15 drinks each. Even non alcoholic drinks should be tipped (especially/particularly) if a drink runner fetches/delivers them for passengers. That adds another $210/$420 to the total costs on a seven day (much more on longer cruises) that is often not accounted for when doing the math. 

Edited by cruisingguy007