Irons in Staterooms?

1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

On NCL, they're happy to hook you up: (sorry, blurry image)

i-bxvJb8c-L.jpg

Tom

Wha?!? I've never seen a cruise ship deliver an iron to a stateroom. The answer has always been 'no but you can send your clothes to be pressed in the laundry."

18 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

Wha?!? I've never seen a cruise ship deliver an iron to a stateroom. The answer has always been 'no but you can send your clothes to be pressed in the laundry."

It's happened more than once on NCL. We were in the Haven, so not sure if that played a role or not. Having said that, I've spied a couple irons/boards propped up next to doors in non-suite areas too.

Tom

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

It's happened more than once on NCL. We were in the Haven, so not sure if that played a role or not. Having said that, I've spied a couple irons/boards propped up next to doors in non-suite areas too.

Tom

The butler in the Haven will bring you an iron - they don't love it, but they will. They will also iron things for you I understand, we just have never asked for that. But that bowl of gummy bears, now THAT is a perk 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Just curious, is the FAA regulation at Port Everglades because of the Coast Guard base there?

Yes, Airspace above and around Coast Guard stations can be regulated.  But, in Port Everglades that would be redundant.  Every inch of Port Everglades is restricted airspace because of FLL.   

Also, who regulates the laws about drones over private homes and other private property? 

As stated, the FAA is has "exclusive jurisdiction" of airspace.  You own your land, not your airspace.  Therefore, as long as I'm physically not standing on your property, I can fly my drone even once inch above your property in your back yard.  BTW, if you interfere with my property flying over your property, for example: shooting it down, you just broke the law.  Local and State law makers can not regulate/make laws about where I can or cannot fly my drone.  Now, there are other legal items that may have to be taken into account.  Many jurisdictions have laws about photography and such.  

One final question if you don’t mind, as a corrections employee I’ve learned there’s been speculation that one way contraband has been coming in is through drones. Who decides whether to restrict drones from flying over correctional facilities and other secure locations?

Federal Correction facilities can be designated as "No Fly Zones"/restricted/regulated areas.  I don't believe local/state facilities are, not yet.  However, I don't fly over ANY correction facilities, just to be on the safe side of things, legal or not.  

6 hours ago, Ret MP said:

It appears that the Messaging feature in this forum is disabled and I'm relatively new to this Cruise Critic Forum.  But, I'm not new to cruising social media or cruising.  I tried to message you with this but can't.  I'm an avid recreational drone flyer (it is officially "Pilot", but I don't like to raise myself to that level) and I am very protective of preserving our right to fly and pointing out incorrect information about drone flying.  So, I'm sorry that I feel that I must correct some information like this.  It has nothing to do with you personally.

In and of itself, flying near or even above a cruise ship is NOT illegal.  The cruise line may have a policy/rule that they don't want its passengers flying drones from onboard their ship.  But, it is not ILLEGAL.  In the USA the only authority that can control airspace is the FAA (exclusive jurisdiction), with only a very very exceptions like the National Park Service.  A cruise line can only make policy and if you don't comply, they can remove you from the ship. 

If the FAA has a permanent or temporary "no fly zone" where ever the ship is, than yes, it is illegal to fly in that zone.  For example, Port Everglades is within the FLL airspace/no fly zone, so it is illegal to fly a drone there.  But, the Port of Miami, for the most part, is not and flying a drone there is legal unless there is temporary restrictions.  Under new and current FAA regulations, it is legal to fly over people and vehicles, just not sustained flight.  

Having said all that, Yes it is illegal to fly a drone at the Cruise Port in San Juan because it is controlled by the FAA.  ALSO, Peeping Tom is always illegal and not ethical, obviously.

Porto Rico does fall under FAA jurisdiction.    

Again, I wish the messaging feature was available and this is not personal.  There is a lot of incorrect information going around out there.    

Ahh...so I have found my "Peeping Tom".  😉  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WheresWalter said:

Actually not illegal to fly near a cruise ship. The Cruise Spotter has been posting spectacular drone footage of the ships leaving Miami and other ports along with some ports of call on his YouTube and TikTok channels. His nighttime work is absolutely stunning. Especially the Royal ships and the Scarlet Lady. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheCruiseSpotter

Ahh...peeping Tom #2.  😉    

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Thanks for not taking offense.  I was very hesitant in posting it.

LOL...I have been on these boards since...not sure when...have read them all.  

Absolutely no offence taken.  😉 

I think your information was very informational.   Though I still am not really fond of peeping Tom drones.  😮  Though at my age...a shot of me naked might just burn their eyeballs.  😄 😄 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL...I have been on these boards since...not sure when...have read them all.  

Absolutely no offence taken.  😉 

I think your information was very informational.   Though I still am not really fond of peeping Tom drones.  😮  Though at my age...a shot of me naked might just burn their eyeballs.  😄 😄 

Meeeeee toooooo.  However, I'm not sure what is worse, a "peeping Tom" or a "peeing Tom".  Someone peeping in on me, they'd have to be hospitalized due to hyperventilation due to laughter.  Just ask my wife.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

s stated, the FAA is has "exclusive jurisdiction" of airspace.  You own your land, not your airspace.  Therefore, as long as I'm physically not standing on your property, I can fly my drone even once inch above your property in your back yard.  BTW, if you interfere with my property flying over your property, for example: shooting it down, you just broke the law.  Local and State law makers can not regulate/make laws about where I can or cannot fly my drone.  Now, there are other legal items that may have to be taken into account.  Many jurisdictions have laws about photography and such.  

Hmm….so even one inch over the lawn is considered air space? What if there is a stockade fence, or if the drone scares my dogs and they chase and break it? Isn’t there an assumption of risk if you were to fly your drone into my fenced in yard and harass my dogs? Of course I’m not saying you would do this, but I’m thinking of what some cruel teenaged kids in my neighborhood would do, kids who think nothing of throwing rocks at ducks or other cruel behavior. 

2 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Hmm….so even one inch over the lawn is considered air space? What if there is a stockade fence, or if the drone scares my dogs and they chase and break it? Isn’t there an assumption of risk if you were to fly your drone into my fenced in yard and harass my dogs? Of course I’m not saying you would do this, but I’m thinking of what some cruel teenaged kids in my neighborhood would do, kids who think nothing of throwing rocks at ducks or other cruel behavior. 

Yes, anything above the surface of the earth, is considered "AIRSPACE" and it doesn't belong to you or me.  It doesn't matter if it has a Fort Knox type fence around it. 

And yes, I take on the risk of some things while flying a drone, like hitting trees, dogs, water sprinklers coming on and the like.  However, criminal intent is not one of my risks.  If you intentionally interfere and/or harm my device, my property, especially if I'm there legally, you are guilty of a crime, IF IT CAN BE PROVED (I live in the real world and know how hard it is to prove something, also 20+ years in law enforcement)!  

You are right, I would not fly my drone, uninvited, into your realm.  Kids throwing rocks at my drone, however, is not my risk and I would hope that parents are raising their kids to know the difference between right an wrong.  Throwing rocks at other people's property is one of those wrongs.  But, I know that there are parents out there that would encourage their kids to do so.   

Unedited (B Roll) video of Mendenhall Glacier and Nugget Fall, Alaska, May 2022:

DJI_0284.JPG

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Meeeeee toooooo.  However, I'm not sure what is worse, a "peeping Tom" or a "peeing Tom".  Someone peeping in on me, they'd have to be hospitalized due to hyperventilation due to laughter.  Just ask my wife.

😂🤣😂