7 Day Viking Saga vs. 7 Day Norse Legends

Tthere were a couple of posts on this topic, but HAL has changed the itineraries since . Current itineraries (both start and end in Amsterdam):

Norse Legends:  Eidfjord, Hardangerfjord, Alesund, Geiranger, Bergen 

Viking Saga: Oslofjord, Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavanger, Sognefjord, Flam

Previously everyone recommended the Norse Legends for the fjords, but Flam was always on that itinerary, and now it's on the other cruise. Does everyone think that's still the better choice? I'm asking because the one site we've heard the most about was Flam.

We might end up choosing the 11 Day Legends of the Fjords: Rotterdam, Ulvik, Hardangerfjord, Flam, Sognefjord, Molde, Alesund, Bergen, Haugesund.

We like it, but the higher cost is obviously the deciding factor. Any advice appreciated!

Thanks, Bill

• Like 1

Oh, take the 11-day cruise. Great itinerary. Ending in Copenhagen is nice, as is Arhus. 
If you're going all that way anyway, might as well spend the money and go for a little longer. 

The only thing I don't like about going to/coming back from Copenhagen is that I can't get a non-stop flight. Otherwise, excellent place to begin/end a cruise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

Oh, take the 11-day cruise. Great itinerary. Ending in Copenhagen is nice, as is Arhus. 
If you're going all that way anyway, might as well spend the money and go for a little longer. 

The only thing I don't like about going to/coming back from Copenhagen is that I can't get a non-stop flight. Otherwise, excellent place to begin/end a cruise. 

ah yes I sailed r/t from Copenhagen and all roads to the USA go through Heathrow in UK.   well I suppose I could have gotten Toronto but still Non-stops are mostly to Amsterdam from East Coast.  

• Thanks 1

Do the one with Geiranger, it simply is the most awesome place in a fjord. Sailing into and from and also going to the top of Mt. Dalsnibba is so wonderful.!

• Like 1

I sailed on the Norse Legends this past June. Here are a few pics I took that may sway you for Geiranger and Eidfjord, but 11 days on the Rotterdam is better than 7 days 😄

Caveat Emptor: HAL has been switching Bergen with smaller ports lately, like to Maloy on ours.

Norway 2022

Norway 2022

Norway 2022

Norway 2022

Norway 2022

Norway 2022

Norway 2022

Norway 2022

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/26/2022 at 5:17 PM, YourWorldWithBill said:

11 Day Legends of the Fjords: Rotterdam, Ulvik, Hardangerfjord, Flam, Sognefjord, Molde, Alesund, Bergen, Haugesund.

When does this cruise depart?  I’m only see the 7 day cruises and then a 14 day cruise that seems to combine both.

30 minutes ago, 0106 said:

When does this cruise depart?  I’m only see the 7 day cruises and then a 14 day cruise that seems to combine both.

The 11 day would be on Nieuw Statendam May 28th 2023

Note about Northern Lights: We tood a cruise around Iceland last September. It was to see the sites in Iceland, but we hoped we might see the northern lights, as we crossed the Arctic Circle. Nope. Our next try will be Alaska cruise and then to Fairbanks, but we're staying three nights in Fairbanks to have a better chance. We learned that giving it a one-day shot isn't the way to go.

• 8 months later...

I'm now debating the same for July 2023.  

Viking is on Rotterdam while Norse is on Nieuw Statendam.  

I like the Norse route better (I've already been to Flam).  But wondering if Rotterdam is better than Nieuw Statendam since it is a newer ship.  

Thoughts?

On 7/27/2022 at 6:38 PM, 0106 said:

Thank you, I was only looking at the Fall cruises.  I am hoping to take a cruise with the possibility of seeing the Northern lights.  I’ll keep looking.

If you can tolerate a cruise in the middle of winter Viking Ocean has a Northern Lights that goes up to the north of Norway.  Husband thinks it a grand idea -- I'm less sold on the time-frame temperature wise! 

Of course the $$$ is a factor as well.  😉

• Thanks 1

Bergen and Oslo are both big draws. The smaller cities and the fjords are all very nice, but it is also good to get the feel for their larger cities as well. 

I too would go with the longer one. Just because!

41 minutes ago, singleflyer said:

I'm now debating the same for July 2023.  

Viking is on Rotterdam while Norse is on Nieuw Statendam.  

I like the Norse route better (I've already been to Flam).  But wondering if Rotterdam is better than Nieuw Statendam since it is a newer ship.  

Thoughts?

We are on the 7 Day Norse Legends this May (next month). We've heard great things about the Rotterdam, especially about the food. So, this is a tough call for you! We chose the route because of the focus on the fjords, but once we decided, we are looking forward to the ship, also. Sorry if I'm only making the decision harder! Maybe the question is: how much better is the newer ship?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

We are on the 7 Day Norse Legends this May (next month). We've heard great things about the Rotterdam, especially about the food. So, this is a tough call for you! We chose the route because of the focus on the fjords, but once we decided, we are looking forward to the ship, also. Sorry if I'm only making the decision harder! Maybe the question is: how much better is the newer ship?

This is my dilemma.  Seems like the Rotterdam and Nieuw Statendam are pretty similar.  But there is something that draws me to a new boat.  Not sure if there is actually much better about it.

I have done a lot of research comparing the two itineraries and the fjords visited. Based on the ranking of the fjords, I decided that when we go we will go on the Norse Legends vs the Viking Sagas. Just depends on the fjords that you want to see.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, singleflyer said:

This is my dilemma.  Seems like the Rotterdam and Nieuw Statendam are pretty similar.  But there is something that draws me to a new boat.  Not sure if there is actually much better about it.

Similarly to what pauly said in the review just above, we looked carefully. On other boards that I've read here, many people said that Geiranger fjord is one not to be missed, so that played a crucial part in our decision.

• Like 1

We will be on the Norse Legends July 15 sailing on Rotterdam. Chose it specifically for Geirangerfjord after a bit of research.  A few weeks back we were informed that Bergen has been replaced with Nordfjord. I'm sure we'll love it too, but I was looking forward to Bergen. First HAL cruise, and we can't wait! 

• Like 2

We did the Norse Legends on the Koningsdam.  By far our best cruise every.  Our only regret is that we didn't do the Norse & Viking back to back as now we have to go back again.  We saw the 11-day cruise also and may consider that.

My DW said last night that she wants our next cruise to be back to Norway, so I have to start looking.

• Like 1