10% Discount not applicable?

Hello cruisers.  On my NCL account , along with my Cruisenext certificates, I have a  'Your 10% discount' that was put there when my booked cruise was canceled by NCL due to Covid.  Tried to use it to book a cruise last night and they are telling me it can't be used because it is in "Canadian dollars"??  It doesn't have any amount attached to it--and my Cruisenext certificates are listed in US dollars which they convert to Canadian??  I have one that is actually listed in Canadian dollars.  Does this sound right??

1 hour ago, labradorsunseeker said:

Hello cruisers.  On my NCL account , along with my Cruisenext certificates, I have a  'Your 10% discount' that was put there when my booked cruise was canceled by NCL due to Covid.  Tried to use it to book a cruise last night and they are telling me it can't be used because it is in "Canadian dollars"??  It doesn't have any amount attached to it--and my Cruisenext certificates are listed in US dollars which they convert to Canadian??  I have one that is actually listed in Canadian dollars.  Does this sound right??

Might be better to ask on the NCL board 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, labradorsunseeker said:

Thank you.  A 'supervisor' from NCL is the one who told me I couldn't use it.

Call again you may get a different answer

Why would they give you something if they will not let you use it ??

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Brian V said:

I cannot for the life of me understand why $CDN or $US matters when it is a PERCENTAGE?

It could be in Euros, or Yen, or...10% is 10% is 10% 🤪

Would you prefer that I give you 10% of $1,000 USD or 10% of $1,000 CAD? Until such time as USD and CAD are at par, the currency definitely matters.

• Like 1

Update:  I managed to find a TA (none in my town)--who would look at this for me.  Once I transferred my account to her, NCL had no problem applying the discount.  Saved $371 CDN!  THANK YOU to this group and responders to my question--would not have thought to try a TA as I usually just book my own travel arrangements.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Would you prefer that I give you 10% of $1,000 USD or 10% of $1,000 CAD? Until such time as USD and CAD are at par, the currency definitely matters.

The currency does NOT matter.  The cruise can be priced in US$, or its equivalent in Cad$.  Applying 10% to that US$ amount, or to the equivalent Cad$ account, does NOT matter one iota. 

You're NOT going to get a bigger discount to apply that 10% to the US$ amount of that cruise.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Middleager said:

The cruise can be priced in US$, or its equivalent in Cad$.

I've always checked prices on both the US and Canadian Celebrity websites before booking, and there can be noticeable variations in the pricing between the two. So currency  does matter, even if the impact is minimal for the most part.

38 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I've always checked prices on both the US and Canadian Celebrity websites before booking, and there can be noticeable variations in the pricing between the two. So currency  does matter, even if the impact is minimal for the most part.

Good for you in the other cruiseline.  Just to remind you the OP is talking about NCL if you read.

And OP being in Canada, NCL knows the account is in Canada, and will use Canadian $ for calculation.  Yes you can try to get around it but NCL puts up roadblocks to make it not easy.

Anyway, someone in NCL doesn't really know the system and gave the OP a hard time.  The OP got it resolved.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Middleager said:

Good for you in the other cruiseline.  Just to remind you the OP is talking about NCL if you read.

And OP being in Canada, NCL knows the account is in Canada, and will use Canadian $ for calculation.  Yes you can try to get around it but NCL puts up roadblocks to make it not easy.

Anyway, someone in NCL doesn't really know the system and gave the OP a hard time.  The OP got it resolved.

LOL. I used Celebrity as an example as I've not booked with NCL. Most cruise lines, including NCL, offer Canadian rates that are not direct equivalents to the US price. Understandably so, given currency fluctuations and exchange rates.